Wiki Posts
Search

GoolRC Intermittent Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 05:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation GoolRC Intermittent Reverse

Hi All,

I just received a GoolRC S 120A esc for my latest project. I am experiencing intermittent reverse. I have tried 3 different remotes, all have the same issue. I have used many esc's in the past and this is my first experience like this. I linked a video.

The combo did come with a program card and I have tried various settings. In particular I changed the neutral range a bit to see if it would help. - It does not. I was unable to find any information on performing a throttle calibration, which was my first guess.

I have contacted the seller. In the meantime any help would be great.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mr_RCGuy
Hi All,

I just received a GoolRC S 120A esc for my latest project. I am experiencing intermittent reverse. I have tried 3 different remotes, all have the same issue. I have used many esc's in the past and this is my first experience like this. I linked a video.

The combo did come with a program card and I have tried various settings. In particular I changed the neutral range a bit to see if it would help. - It does not. I was unable to find any information on performing a throttle calibration, which was my first guess.

I have contacted the seller. In the meantime any help would be great.

Issue Video
This happened to my hw xr8 if i set my brake to 100% and turn brake epa down to less than 20% and the reverse is at 25%

To fix it, i change the brake to 25% and set epa to 85%

But now i dont use reverse anymore.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skaar_rc
This happened to my hw xr8 if i set my brake to 100% and turn brake epa down to less than 20% and the reverse is at 25%

To fix it, i change the brake to 25% and set epa to 85%

But now i dont use reverse anymore.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried setting the brake at 25% again via the program card. No go. What does epa stand for?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2019, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

end point adjustment.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by the rc guy
end point adjustment.
Oops... Duh, on the remote(s)... That did not work. Not sure how that would have helped anyways. I did I try adjusting it to 25, 50, 75.

After connecting a digital servo tester to take a look at the pwm signals, it also showed inconsistent numbers and reactions. Again, sometimes it worked and sometimes not. I am wondering if something in the esc firmware is misconfigured or corrupted and not letting it see the initial brake signal before going to reverse. There is usually a failsafe programmed in to make sure it doesn't slam the motor in reverse directly from forward throttle.

Thank you for the help.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Is that a brushed motor?
Old 07-07-2019, 04:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bry195
Is that a brushed motor?
Brushless
Old 07-07-2019, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cheap electrons often have strange issues, although from the video it looks like you are trying to get reverse to engage too quickly. Usually there is a reverse delay that requires the esc to be at neutral for 1 second or more before reverse will actuate.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by waitwhat
Cheap electrons often have strange issues, although from the video it looks like you are trying to get reverse to engage too quickly. Usually there is a reverse delay that requires the esc to be at neutral for 1 second or more before reverse will actuate.
I was on the fence with this GoolRC combo. I did research them and read a lot of positive feedback. Seems like they are just a rebrand. I had high hopes, but I doubt I will purchase another.

Good point about the pause. It does seem to work a bit more consistent when I wait a second or two, but still sporadic.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Take care,
Old 07-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Tech Initiate

I have a few goolrc escs. I really didnt notice this till i read your post, one of mine does seem to be more picky when i try to reverse. It has to be completely stopped for a whole second (which seems like an eternity sometimes) in order to go in reverse. I have 3 different colored 60a ones, and i think its the all black one that does it. Maybe its the one with the red heatsink, cant remember at this moment. But anyways, i thought initially it was just the way its designed, say your really cranking, hit the brakes for a seond to slow down, then let off to neutral for a split second, then need to go back on the brakes, it won't go into reverse. Or maybe its just faulty cheap engineering/build quality/parts thats causing it. I suppose i could do some testing and really pay attention to how and when it goes into reverse and figure out of its glitchy or if its a built in function of this particular esc itself. What are your thoughts on your issue?
edit: just realized i somehow skipped your post on your pwm readings, seems yours is having issues, maybe mine is too just not as bad or often. Some testing of mine would probably indicate an issue too.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Steve8
I have a few goolrc escs. I really didnt notice this till i read your post, one of mine does seem to be more picky when i try to reverse. It has to be completely stopped for a whole second (which seems like an eternity sometimes) in order to go in reverse. I have 3 different colored 60a ones, and i think its the all black one that does it. Maybe its the one with the red heatsink, cant remember at this moment. But anyways, i thought initially it was just the way its designed, say your really cranking, hit the brakes for a seond to slow down, then let off to neutral for a split second, then need to go back on the brakes, it won't go into reverse. Or maybe its just faulty cheap engineering/build quality/parts thats causing it. I suppose i could do some testing and really pay attention to how and when it goes into reverse and figure out of its glitchy or if its a built in function of this particular esc itself. What are your thoughts on your issue?
edit: just realized i somehow skipped your post on your pwm readings, seems yours is having issues, maybe mine is too just not as bad or often. Some testing of mine would probably indicate an issue too.
Steve8,

I have had many different brands of ESC's; Traxxas, HW, Onisiki, Speed Passion, Tekin, etc.. None have had this issue. (Or any other issue for that matter.)

I have tried waiting an extended amount of time also, up to several seconds. I believe that it is a design flaw of the ESC. The seller is sending me a replacement. Hopefully, it will work properly.

Thank you for your help.
Take care,
Old 07-29-2019, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi All,

In case anyone else has this issue with the GoolRC S-120A ESC.

I received the replacement ESC today. It works as it should.

Take care,