Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Bar being raised TOO fast?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beyondthepack
It seems like every 4 to 5 months, there has been a new TC released. At first, I started in touring car because of the appeal, but now to stay competitive, it seems like you need the newest and improved. The rate that manufaucture's are sucking the money, I mean "developing new product", that we "have to have" its way out of control. Thats why i went to 1/12 scale. Honestly I would like to think that the bigger percentage of people out there would be happy with a product that can use, and look at a possible upgrade every 3 years. But the manufactures have taken advantage of a good thing and are sucking the life, or whats left of out of the touring car scene. Do you agree?

Id say racing at the upper levels is totally about raising the bar every chance you get, if you dont want the newest car, or dont think it will make you faster or more consistant, you just shouldnt buy one, its a personal choice, why take that choice away from those that want the newest thing out if its what they want just because you dont want one......
Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
yes,as will other companies but the problem is that most of the racers want to have the latest and greatest so the hobby stores need to cater to the majority.i know what you are saying but in a perfect world,people would be able to see that there is little to no benefit and only get the new car if the old one was worn out.most people like to feel like they have the latest and greatest.
And once they have the latest and gretest, they have to go and get a BMI chassis to make it even better!!!

BTW, I just love my T2 now it has a BMI chassis. I ran my BMI TC3 for over five years (part of the time with stock chassis), and I'll do the same with my BMI T2. Find something you like and stick with it. A great way to get fast is to stick with one chassis for an extended period of time and get used to it's handling characteristics and fine tune it's setup. Change a car every six months, and unless you have the time to practice every day like a pro, you'll always be chasing an elusive setup that works for you.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mdoc, your right if you dont want to you dont have to, if the parts support is still there
Old 04-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

"why take that choice away from those that want the newest thing out if its what they want just because you dont want one......"

It is a very good point. However, most if not all manufacturer are taking away the choice of choosing a older model by discontinue the old car and parts support and force everyone to buy the newest stuff.

It is a fact that (most) manufacturer are taking away the choice of running an "out-dated" car. However, no one can take away your choice of buying a new car.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 AM
Tech Champion

When it comes to chassis, I dont think the bar isnt really being raised, to me it stays at the same levels.

Exotic materials are still in use, but just placed differently making a new car.
The motors and cells have been getting the cars quicker, not the other way round. And thats why tc3's and the older cars can still do pretty well with new stuff in them.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RandomFellow
And once they have the latest and gretest, they have to go and get a BMI chassis to make it even better!!!

BTW, I just love my T2 now it has a BMI chassis. I ran my BMI TC3 for over five years (part of the time with stock chassis), and I'll do the same with my BMI T2. Find something you like and stick with it. A great way to get fast is to stick with one chassis for an extended period of time and get used to it's handling characteristics and fine tune it's setup. Change a car every six months, and unless you have the time to practice every day like a pro, you'll always be chasing an elusive setup that works for you.
thanks buddy. i try to improve and enhance existing car designs and fix the overlooked shady areas.all the cars have them and i like to fix them and put out a bullet proof product that lasts for years.it does get hard to keep up with though.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mdoc
Id say racing at the upper levels is totally about raising the bar every chance you get, if you dont want the newest car, or dont think it will make you faster or more consistant, you just shouldnt buy one, its a personal choice, why take that choice away from those that want the newest thing out if its what they want just because you dont want one......

Agreed. But at the same time dont quit racing the year you cannot afford that latest car and make up lame excuses that u cannot keep up.. I unfortunatly hear this locally at our club only after the fact when the racer has already quit... Weather people want to admit it or not, sometimes in the case of r/c club racing sometimes newer is not alway better for the big picture. I try my best to educate new and old racers at our club that track time is more valuable then spending money on new chassis,new chargers and the latest ESC... But when they get beat by the latest chassis its hard. Luckily currently we have a few FK04's still posting fastest laps and winning races so we really try to highlight this to the new guys... But the ever lasting flood of new products can take its toll on average club racers... You dont have to buy it i know that.... but not everyone thinks that way... So unfurtuatly they leave the hobby

We need to remind all racers that yes the new T200102311024204 and the TRF415.afdasdfaf2we341234124 is a 1000th a second better a lap in the hands of a pro level paid racer... But for average joes the other 99% of us its just a vanity item and buying a fresh motor,tires or battery pack and using your already known and capable chassis is actually ok and you will likely go faster that way.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
But for average joes the other 99% of us its just a vanity item and buying a fresh motor,tires or battery pack and using your already known and capable chassis is actually ok and you will likely go faster that way.
Very well said, totally agreed. Track time, practice, practice and practice is more important for our average joe. If money is limited, consider to spend the money on a good set of tire, battery pack or motor before buying the chassis of the month. (Well of course, this is true only if your chassis is in a good shape, otherwise, why not get the latest and greatest chassis )
Old 04-24-2007, 05:21 AM
Tech Champion

I've been racing for many years. Before Tc it was pan cars. People showed up with cars that were always in bad shape - they got a great deal only to find out it wasn't. This has not changed except the cars.Before you start talking about car chassis- look at the new video consoles and games.One thing your forgetting this is a Hobby- it's got it 's ups and downs. What works in your area might not in anothers.How the track or hobby shop treats the racers is a big part of this factor also.How they are treated at the track in practice and race time is another. Spending hundreds of hard earned money on your new or used car only to be told it's a pile of junk isn't going to get many racers to return!
Old 04-24-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Hmm. On my local Tarmac track, I drove 14.12 in 2003, beating the likes of Steen Graversen, Joel Myrberg and Victor Wilck with my TC3.

I think the trackreckord is about 13.97 or so now, even after they got the new tarmac:P
Old 04-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

There are many forms of racing and TC is not necessarly the best option for the weak of wallet and the industry is now finding this out the hard way.

No matter how often you educate the average customer there is no way to convince them the newer is not better and they always will want better.

The majority of drivers are not racers, the majority of racers do not care about anything but going .001 sec. faster at any cost. The majority of comments the manufacturers hear are from racers who in essense are not the majority customer.

Traxxas customers do not complain about the chassis of the month club why?

Traxxas also does not have many cars at major races.

Are Traxxas customers still happy? Are Tamiya, Xray, Corrally, Associated etc. customers just as happy?

Are these things connected?

Racing breeds changes many times at a rate that is uncomfortable for most.

Not everyone has to race at the highest level and if your not at the highest level then realize you absolutely do not need the pro level equipment to be competitive.

"You don't need to out run the bear you just need to outrun the guy standing next to you."
Old 04-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well said MrBlack.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Aye, well said. It raises a question in me, though. Is 1/8th scale offroad racing more affordable?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
There are many forms of racing and TC is not necessarly the best option for the weak of wallet and the industry is now finding this out the hard way.

No matter how often you educate the average customer there is no way to convince them the newer is not better and they always will want better.

The majority of drivers are not racers, the majority of racers do not care about anything but going .001 sec. faster at any cost. The majority of comments the manufacturers hear are from racers who in essense are not the majority customer.

Traxxas customers do not complain about the chassis of the month club why?

Traxxas also does not have many cars at major races.

Are Traxxas customers still happy? Are Tamiya, Xray, Corrally, Associated etc. customers just as happy?

Are these things connected?

Racing breeds changes many times at a rate that is uncomfortable for most.

Not everyone has to race at the highest level and if your not at the highest level then realize you absolutely do not need the pro level equipment to be competitive.

"You don't need to out run the bear you just need to outrun the guy standing next to you."
Heres the connection the way I see it.

The Hobby has always been good for the racing.
Yet racing hasn't always been good for the Hobby.

Traxxis has always been good for the hobby.
And the Hobby has been more than good to traxxis.

There may be something to learn there?
We just have to make the connection.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Heres the connection the way I see it.

The Hobby has always been good for the racing.
Yet racing hasn't always been good for the Hobby.

Traxxis has always been good for the hobby.
And the Hobby has been more than good to traxxis.

There may be something to learn there?
We just have to make the connection.
Well said and I will probably get grief for this by my industry peers but the truth is now more obvious then ever.

The Hobbyist = Peter
The Racer = Paul
The Industry = Mary

Mary keeps taking away from Peter to make Paul happy and that makes Peter sore.

You can't go through life with a sore Peter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.