Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kevinatfms

Good brand for a brushless motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Lightbulb Good brand for a brushless motor

Hey all. Need some advice for a first time buy for a brushless motor and esc. Ive done some googling and have found a bunch of motors for around 30-40 dollars each, but I'm not sure if they are a decent brand. The brands I have found are Goolrc, Racerstar, Fastwin, and you can get a motor plus an esc for 30-40. Now I'm not looking to buy top quality stuff for my first foray into brushless, and I would like to keep costs down but I also don't want a really crappy product. I am looking at maybe getting a 4500kv motor for bashing, I picked up an rc car for cheap and upgrade to brushless for more power and speed. I have looked at other threads recommending a 4500kv motor to start with, but I am unsure as to what specifically I should be looking for. So to sum it up, I need advice on a decent brand for a brushless motor and esc, and one that will work well for bashing. I should mention that my rc car is an exceed rc infinitive ep truck. Its been good to me for getting back into the rc hobby, but I would like more power and a bit more speed for some backyard bashing. I apologize if this has been asked before. Thanks for your time
Old 08-06-2018, 04:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Castle Sidewinder V3 and 4600kv motor is under $100.

Hobbywing EZrun Max10 and 4000kv motor is under $100.

Both are quite powerful and extremely capable.
Rocketzx1 likes this.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kevinatfms
Castle Sidewinder V3 and 4600kv motor is under $100.

Hobbywing EZrun Max10 and 4000kv motor is under $100.

Both are quite powerful and extremely capable.
May I ask you one more question? For the brushless motors, is lower kv indicative of more speed or is it more torque? I don’t want crazy fast racing speeds but I also don’t want to be a slouch. My truck hits about 21 mph right now and I’d like to go up to about 40, I don’t think I need anything quicker than that. Would either one of those systems do that for me or do I need another system entirely. Thanks again for info!

Steve
Old 08-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rocketzx1
May I ask you one more question? For the brushless motors, is lower kv indicative of more speed or is it more torque? I don’t want crazy fast racing speeds but I also don’t want to be a slouch. My truck hits about 21 mph right now and I’d like to go up to about 40, I don’t think I need anything quicker than that. Would either one of those systems do that for me or do I need another system entirely. Thanks again for info!

Steve
Exactly, less kv means more torque at the expensive of rpm. You can alternatively gear the truck to make up the loss in rpm by going numerically lower in the gear ratio. This would mean to increase pinion size and lower the spur gear size.

You would be surprised at how fast 40mph is in R/C. I think you could easily attain 40mph with a 3800-4600kv system if geared correctly and running 3s. Just make sure to gear the truck according to the temperature of the motor. The motor should stay under 160*F. Run a full pack through the truck and use a temp gun to record the temps at the base of the can, the middle of the can and the end bell of the can. Gear up or down according to those temp readings.

What type of truck?
Old 08-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Exactly, less kv means more torque at the expensive of rpm. You can alternatively gear the truck to make up the loss in rpm by going numerically lower in the gear ratio. This would mean to increase pinion size and lower the spur gear size.

You would be surprised at how fast 40mph is in R/C. I think you could easily attain 40mph with a 3800-4600kv system if geared correctly and running 3s. Just make sure to gear the truck according to the temperature of the motor. The motor should stay under 160*F. Run a full pack through the truck and use a temp gun to record the temps at the base of the can, the middle of the can and the end bell of the can. Gear up or down according to those temp readings.

What type of truck?
I have an exceed rc infinitive 4x4 truck that has a brushed motor
Old 08-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

4600kv on 3 cells .no way id never do this or recommend this activity or fire will ensue 3500kv max on 3 cell
Old 08-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by the rc guy
4600kv on 3 cells .no way id never do this or recommend this activity or fire will ensue 3500kv max on 3 cell
I do it all the time. If you correctly gear the car or truck you will not have a problem. Shoot, i run a 5700kv buggy on 3s without a single issue for speed runs. Again, check temps and gear correctly and you will not have a problem.

The question would be whether his Exceed can handle 3s power. Alot of the Exceed buggies and cars dont have the capacity to handle 2s let alone 3s.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

I have an exceed rc infinitive 4x4 truck that has a brushed motor
According to NitroRCX the truck is equipped with metal geared differentials and center shaft so it should be able to handle 2s or 3s. Remember to gear correctly for each battery type(3s should be geared lower to keep temps in check). Keep the motor under 160*F and it should easily get 35-40mph.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Tech Initiate

According to NitroRCX the truck is equipped with metal geared differentials and center shaft so it should be able to handle 2s or 3s. Remember to gear correctly for each battery type(3s should be geared lower to keep temps in check). Keep the motor under 160*F and it should easily get 35-40mph.
I appreciate all your help in figuring out a good upgrade for my truck, thanks! Would be it okay if I pm you a question kevinatfms?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

I appreciate all your help in figuring out a good upgrade for my truck, thanks! Would be it okay if I pm you a question kevinatfms?
Sure. PM away.