Search
Like Tree1Likes

New Futaba 4PXR

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default New Futaba 4PXR

It seems new upgrade Futaba4pxr came out soon.

Last edited by raved007; 09-24-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bad idea if it's chrome. I put a chrome skin on my MT4 a few months ago. It looked cool but reflected so much light straight into my eyes that I could barely see my car. Luckily it didn't reflect into the peoples eyes standing beside me on the drivers stand. Might be ok for indoor use, but not outside in the sun.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Tech Initiate

It Looks like it has a clear plastic protected casing on it...

Maybe this is this a new clear plastic protected case for the PX4 and not a new radio
Old 09-25-2015, 02:40 AM
Tech Addict

There is no plastic wrap on it, just a temp peel away on the screen.
It clearly states PXR on the logo lettering.
This is not surprising really and is reflected by the recent price drop of the original 4PX.
Two new models was just introduced into the flight line of radios as well. I imagine its a deadline based refresher roll out in all areas of the lineup.
Besides the new look I am really curious as to what the programming upgrade consist of, considering it already has most all practical tweaks already there.

If I was a transmitter company and could put forth my thoughts, the game changer would be to create the first system to introduce force feed back with an integrated inertial sensor built into the Rx that will adjust to relevant speed. All that would be needed is accelerometers and a algorithm logic communicating with the tx's static location.
This feature with user defined gain/force control.... No other system would compare or put you more in touch with your vehicle.

Past that tech savvy feature, I can't understand why no one has offered a definable wheel travel ratio either. The concept is as simple as making a pinion change on a motor.
Once those things are a reality, the only thing left to do would be to have a system that measured like an onboard dyno. This way it could make a self suggested throttle expo and brake buffer based on traction loss data.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:44 AM
Regional Moderator

Damn...I just bought the 4PX this month...oh well. Im happy with it. I dont think I can benefit from it being anymore faster than the current one already is.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Now a lot of racer switching from 4PX to M12S. Any idea?
Old 09-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by raved007
Now a lot of racer switching from 4PX to M12S. Any idea?
This has been in high debate for years. And for years it has typically been the same answer.

Airtronics is said to leave you more connected to your vehicle.
The steering and throttle is said to have better, more consistent physical "feel" as well.
The modulation is actually the same from Futaba and Airtronics. But with Airtronics' M12 and the MT-4S, they actually can use a higher speed grade receiver that acts more like Futaba's FASST technology in response speeds, but from what I understand it is a setting that can only operate in to full speed benefit on 2 channel mode only. Thus eliminating the extra two that virtually no racer needs to start with.

With that being stated, this is what I think has been the down fall with Futaba's latest flagship release, the 4PX.
Instead of continuing onward with their high-scale FASST modulation, they dropped it back down to FHSS coding and took away the processing power they would have otherwise retained with the FASST Rx.
My theory on this is that they placed more value on the bells and whistles in regard to adding telemetry functions, but wanted to keep manufacturing cost cheap so they opted for FHSS as the base platform to add said features to, taking a hit on modulation speed.
While the 4PX is cross compatible with FASST Rx's, they send them with the baseline (Telemetry) T-FHSS.
When you feel the difference of the M12 with it's stock Rx vs a 4PX with higher latency FHSS Rx, it's no wonder why people can instantly feel like the M12 is far superior.
The moral to the story here is...
To get the most out of your 4PX, you have to have a FASST rx.
The down fall is, they are stupidly expensive and should have came with a flagship radio to begin with.
Secondly, this eliminates telemetry. Sort of negating the need for such a high res color screen that people are paying top dollar for.
Airtronics has always seemed to put function over form, and in the race world this is and always will be the leading standard to pursue.

For Futaba, the only ground radio system that can be had with an included FASST rx as of now, is the 3PM-X
Sorta sad this vs the 4PX box stock configuration is the superior choice in link speed.

I am curious as to see if they figured this out late into the game now and plan to implement the FASST Rx back into the new 4PXR as "the racers combo".

Here are links to read and see what I was talking about

FHSS
FASST
FUTABA GROUND HOME
andrewlin likes this.

Last edited by Josh L; 09-25-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Honestly, for majority of racers.

The radios are more or less equal in terms of speed.
Get one that has the best ergonomic feel. Pointless to have the "fastest" radio, but is like a brick that you wished you could throw away.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by leongkc
Honestly, for majority of racers.

The radios are more or less equal in terms of speed.
Get one that has the best ergonomic feel. Pointless to have the "fastest" radio, but is like a brick that you wished you could throw away.
Everyone that I talk to that has had both all agree that the latency was one of the most noticeable factors and one of the main reasons they went with the swap out. And of course the throttle feel. But I haven't messed with an airtronics personally, but I will soon and I will see for myself what the deal is I suppose.
Honestly some of it is obviously going to be your servo as well when it comes to the steering, so who knows.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Josh L; 09-26-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

LOL'ed.. too soon, Futaba, too soon.

I guess I'm glad I got the 4PKS-R last Fall even more now.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Check out the voltage, sure ain't a LiFe in there....

Old 09-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Josh L

For Futaba, the only ground radio system that can be had with an included FASST rx as of now, is the 3PM-X
Sorta sad this vs the 4PX box stock configuration is the superior choice in link speed.

I am curious as to see if they figured this out late into the game now and plan to implement the FASST Rx back into the new 4PXR as "the racers combo".
The picture above that Shawn_S has posted of the PX4R is showing T-FHSS on the display..

So maybe it going still going be an T-FHSS RX included.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:41 PM
Tech Initiate

And this picture of the PX4R shows 6.6volt...

Attached Thumbnails New Futaba 4PXR-futaba4pxr-2.jpg  
Old 09-26-2015, 03:36 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Surprise it was released so soon. I think the 4PK models had at least two years between each update.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

I think its a marketing ploy to try and draw more sales from racers due to the fact most are running for the M12s.
If the modulation speed and trigger feel hasn't been addressed I can't even understand what this R release is even about really...

I personally have always been a huge Futaba fan, but that has always been based on their Air radios I have used for the last 23 years. It's not really disputed that Futaba is the king of the air world with very fine and highly finessed feel of quality and of course link stability. But I am sorta saddened to say I don't see the same amount of dedication much less domination in the ground realm that I love about the flight transmitters outside of similar the link quality.
I absolutely despise spektrum and their terrible link, range and brown out issues of the past. Not to mention they just look cheap and gaudy. But the other day I was offered to try a friend's SC truck out and had to use one since that is what he has installed. I was shocked and disappointed at the same time that his spektrum honestly felt better in my hand than my futaba 4PLS.
Some serious things need to happen before they are going to win me over like they have with the air equipment.

One of the most obvious changes that needs to be made by all radio companies in my opinion is wheel size tune-ability. Not real hard to offer difference sized foams and filler rings to change out. And end point adjustments should be available as physical adaptations as well. This could be done with a simple gear reduction system with swap-out pinions, both for the wheel and trigger.
Doing this the physical way I described would eliminate any noticed digital resolution changes by avoiding loss of linear travel across a sensor and would truly allow for user defined feel like no one has seen to date. The effect would be superior to that of anything else done.

FUTABA! Are you listening? Let me design your stuff!

Last edited by Josh L; 09-26-2015 at 10:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.