Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
OK, My friend needs a beginner's R/C...Which One? >

OK, My friend needs a beginner's R/C...Which One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK, My friend needs a beginner's R/C...Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Default OK, My friend needs a beginner's R/C...Which One?

My friend is finally realizing how much fun R/C is, so He's starting to look at Trucks.....Help Him Out on what to buy...He Needs something VERY Durable, and not a car that's a full bread racer....something thats PERFECT for a beginner. Help Him Out!
Thankx for any suggestions.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

um, why not just tell him to get the T3 RTR like you are so happy with.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Talking Got a truck for sale

Hey I got a Matt Francis xxxt Electric Truck for sale it is clean!
Old 06-22-2003, 11:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Used is the last thing you want for the first car though, they will be more prone to problems than a brand new kit, and a noob will not know how to fix those problems.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default assumption

Hey maybe in your experiences you had not with any of my cars, I know what I got and if there was something wrong with it I would not sell like that. But thank you for assuming. DJ
Old 06-23-2003, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

I perhaps have a unique persepctive on this. I've been an active R/C "Dad" for 6 years, but only recently started racing myself in the novice class. So I have experience starting out with a fledgling 12-year old boy, then building national-class racing vehicles, and now as a novice driver myself.

I agree with many of the decisions you seem to have made already.
1) Stick with 1/10th. 1/8th is too much for a novice.
2) Stick with electric. Gas is an additional problem, and you should Keep It Simple at the start.
3) Stick with truck, not buggy or 4-WD. Truck is easiest to drive, yet challenging to drive fast.

I'll add this: Stick with stock. Reasons should be obvious.

You can get good used equipment, and it can be a great value. I bought a used truck to start for myself, but all new kits for Paul. With used, you have to know what you're doing, or you could be buying problems. Further, there is much to be said for a novice building the kit himself before he hits the track, therefore knowing how to fix the inevitable breaks.

I recommend either the Associated or Losi truck. They are both quite durable, and easy and fun to drive. The other trucks simply can't keep up. In three months, all the $$ spent on another truck will be wasted as you upgrade to a Losi or an Assoc. I've seen it several times at CRCRC. The slower trucks are no more or less durable, so there's nothing to be gained there.

To sum up: get a Losi or Associated kit, a rebuildable stock motor, a mid-priced speedo, a metal-gear servo, and a mid-priced FM radio. Three or four "sport" 3000 battery packs, and a mid-priced peak-detection charger. Some decent tools. That's it!! Build the truck, paint the body, charge the batteries, and go have FUN!!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I WOULD RECOMMEND BUY A HPI RTR"" PARTS VERY EASY TO GET, VERY HELPFULL MANUAL THAT SHOWS A LOT ABOUT THE CAR . PRICED GOOD, IN MY OPINION U CANT GO WRONG WITH A HPI RTR FOR YOUR FIRST R/C CAR OR TRUCK""TO LEARN THE BASICS OF A R/C CAR.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Default Re: assumption

Originally posted by jrnitrocars
Hey maybe in your experiences you had not with any of my cars, I know what I got and if there was something wrong with it I would not sell like that. But thank you for assuming. DJ
I take damn good care of my stuff too, but still would not recommend it to someone getting into the hobby. Racing cars arent meant to be bashed around with, they are meant to be raced, it is a waste of a car, and no matter what, if it's used, it is going to be more prone to problems than a brand new car, there's no arguing that.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Team Losi trucks beat HPI trucks. PERIOD. They are more durable, have better options, and have better peformance in any specific area. This has been proven in tests. Just read around, and you will discover that this is true. If your friend would like to read a review on a Team Losi product, go to my website. I have a few RC-related product reviews he and anyone else may find useful.

--Thanks
---thousandAnd1
Old 06-23-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

Take a look at the Duratrax Evader, it's like $160 with radio, electronic speed control, full ballbearings and a great motor. plus its indistructible! go to: www.towerhobbies.com
Old 06-23-2003, 10:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I would second the XXXT bieng durable, I raced them for a while with very few broken parts. A little hard to get parts for here, but Family Hobbies always has em in stock.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:54 PM
pne
Tech Adept

the evader is a great truck for a beginner. even comes with a tape to get you started. the instructions were awesome too.

i would have loved a rustler 2.5 for my first truck. that thing just flies! it'd sure get him involved in the hobby fast and traxxas has great forums/customer support for newbs.

YoungChazz made a good suggestion. i would get the same, for charger take a look at the superbrain 959 or the duratrax intellipeak. venom 3000 packs are cheap as dirt to get started. pick him up a cheap 2000 nicd pack too because they take heat and abuse a lot better for first timers. for radio i would grab an xr2. its not fm but its got a ton of adjustablilty for cheap.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, the Traxxas RTRs like the Rustler and the Bandit are great, I like them too.

but why buy an expensive car like an Associated or a Losi as a first car? My first car was a $70 Kyosho Raider, that thing took crashes way better than my RC10, invincible. By the time I got good enough for modifications my Rayder was so beat up...I just got the RC10! I just switched the radio gear.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

But by buying a bandit or rustler, if you ever chose to begin racing you will be behind the pack. My first car was a traxxas nitro buggy, and all I had was problems with it, that's mainly because it was nitro, but it just didn't have the nice parts that the Losi and Associated cars did. You wont be sorry if you spend a little more cash and get the nicer equipment.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

i would suggest before looking/buying a kit for a beginner, your friend should ask around his lhs about the availability of spare parts/hop-ups for the kit he would be buying. what good is a kit without spare parts and hop-ups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.