Wiki Posts
Search

My Firelap AWD Review and Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default My Firelap AWD Review and Build

My review and build of Firelap AWD iw04. First I do own 3 Kyosho Mini-Z MR-02, MR-03 and MA-010. All are great cars well designed and drive really well out of the box. I purchased Firelap as a cheap alternative for occasional friend or relative that comes over and does not really drive so well. So instead of smashing up my beloved Z’s, I will pull out the Firelap. I purchased two from Miracle-Mart, a iw04 and iw02 for a total price of $141 shipped. I will review the AWD first.

The AWD link to specs: iw04

Here is what I got:

Outside of body:

Body is not as nice as the Mini-z, but the kyosho body will fit these chassis. Looking from underneath the body is a one piece molded clear and painted.

Top cover removed:

Looking at the front, it comes with differential bearings, metal dogbones and 3 wire servo:

Look at rear, this was a nice surprise, it has bearings installed on drive shaft already. The Differentials look the same size as the Mini-z. Did not try swapping.

Looking at the electronics, fets were unable to read? I wonder why.

I soldered Losi Mini-T connector for transponder direct to power switch so it will power on/off with switch.

Looking at hubs, come with plastic bushings, installed 3 Racing bearings for Kyosho AWD.

Next was gear lubing, I use a wax lube, makes gears quieter and smoother. Just put small dabs and let dry.

Finally motor break-in, I use the water method, the motor is not very good and does not come with caps. I will run it with stock motor for little while before replacing it.

Ok, now to put it all back together. It does come with drift tires and some other gears so you can adjust the length for other bodies.

Drive test, it handles very well actually much better than I though it would steering is responsive and predicable. However it is kind of slow compared to my Mini-z. But my Z has X-speed motor. Bad comparison, I would compare it to the xmods days with the stock motor. The plastic on some of the parts may need to be trimmed because of imperfect molding. (not a big deal all parts are right shape and do not affect functionality of car) Overall not a bad kit. Recommended upgrades are bearings for wheel hubs and motor. Then you have a decent car.

Last edited by hlim637; 03-15-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Video added

http://youtu.be/xaB1azoc3Zs
Feedback welcomed. Let me know what you guys think. Any cheap upgrades recommended.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Nice, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good review hlim637.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

i have one not a bad car but it does not have a brake, one thing i don't like about the car.I can't see why they did not put a brake function on it.Also kyosho knuckles do not fit wish they did cause u have so many knuckles for the z.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bosco72
i have one not a bad car but it does not have a brake, one thing i don't like about the car.I can't see why they did not put a brake function on it.Also kyosho knuckles do not fit wish they did cause u have so many knuckles for the z.
Not sure which version you have. The one I have here I swapped a knuckle from my MA-010 to the Firelap. But yes brake would be cool. But for the occasional user, I doubt they would even use the brakes. They need the reverse to back off the wall they hit.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

Know this is old thread but just got the new improved FIRELAP awd with color screen radio.much better also has new ESC and has a brake car runs great for the price.the plastic now is gray top plastic piece could of been better but still holding up good going to get the carbon chassis and some other parts.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bosco72
Know this is old thread but just got the new improved FIRELAP awd with color screen radio.much better also has new ESC and has a brake car runs great for the price.the plastic now is gray top plastic piece could of been better but still holding up good going to get the carbon chassis and some other parts.
hi would you post a linke for where you got the car from? thank.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Arrow Mini Z Firelap 1/28 scale 4WD + 2.4Ghz TX with "Colour Screen"

Originally Posted by littlebuddha
hi would you post a linke for where you got the car from? thank.
In response to your question, I think I may have found a link :

Step 1 - go to Lightinthebox.com
Step 2 - go to all categories and go to Sports and Lifestyle
Step 3 - from there, go to Toys and Hobbies
Step 4 - then go to RC Cars
Step 5 - In the filters check the boxes for Car (On-road) (in car type) and Brushless Electric (in source of power)
Step 6 - If you want to see all of the available bodies, you have to click on price so it will show you the prices from High to Low.

Hope this response was of use to you and anyone else