Search
Like Tree44Likes

21.5 motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
If you really think that the one motor made to the same specs are all going to e equal - good luck. You have to factor in batteries, car setup and the driving ablilty of the individual..Then you have the age factor. Not everyone has the same reflexes. You are never going to have equal in racing.
Well your right about the other variables in racing but the motors running equally you are incorrect about . it's been tested at numerous tracks . they are not like the current crop of motors . ita been discussed at length in many areas of rc tech and facebook so not goong to get into all that here. You just need to try it and you will see .
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor

so all the tracks tht spend a few thousand on motors for all of the Can-am classes, or the people that buy the motors (if that will be allowed) will have to purchase new motors every year to stay within the Can-am rules? I’m still lost on how this will save anyone money.

is there any plan on what to do with all of “last years” motors? Or will those just become paperwieghts?

Last question, when tracks purchase these new motors every year in lots of 20,30,40 and so on for each class based on predicted participant levels, do they buy them straight from the manufacturer, or through someone at the Can-am series?
That's exactly the idea: to force old motors to become paperweight by requiring everybody to run what the manufacturers want... It's not can Am, it's more like the manufacturer's hostile takeover by using the track owners as a front... It's not going to be limited to motors only: it's going to follow the TCS style of control soon...
Is it also a coincidence that all the spec can am talks are coming about exactly when our good friends from Awesomatix land entered the US racing scene ??? What's their agenda here ? Why are we blindly following their every move when they are obviously mocking ROAR ? Just imagine what would happen if some US racers went over there and started mocking their racing organisations !!!
We need to man up here in the US, or else we might be singing their anthem soon !!!

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 08-11-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

OK then. Moving on to the next selection we will have a rousing rendition of "bless them all".
Old 08-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87

That's exactly the idea: to force old motors to become paperweight by requiring everybody to run what the manufacturers want... It's not can Am, it's more like the manufacturer's hostile takeover by using the track owners as a front... It's not going to be limited to motors only: it's going to follow the TCS style of control soon...
Is it also a coincidence that all the spec can am talks are coming about exactly when our good friends from Awesomatix land entered the US racing scene ??? What's their agenda here ? Why are we blindly following their every move when they are obviously mocking ROAR ? Just imagine what would happen if some US racers went over there and started mocking their racing organisations !!!
We need to man up here in the US, or else we might be singing their anthem soon !!!
Wow.......
chensleyrc1 and gigaplex like this.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only class I run 21.5 is in our GT12 class. Most of us run Trinity (Roar legal motors and rotors) in this class. I do get out motored with the exact same motor for the last few weeks. Why He's a better driver and has a better setup than I have. I now have the same set-up but I'm still not as good as he is. I'll stick with my ROAR legal Trinity motors and rotors.. Support ROAR and get the correct stuff for racing. When is this can-am stuff going to the other motors (17.5 and 25.5) and then Chassis and what chargers to use???? Been following ROAR rules for years liking some and not liking others. But If I want to race I have to . Another breakaway organization is not going to help keep this hobby alive and well.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BullFrog
The only class I run 21.5 is in our GT12 class. Most of us run Trinity (Roar legal motors and rotors) in this class. I do get out motored with the exact same motor for the last few weeks. Why He's a better driver and has a better setup than I have. I now have the same set-up but I'm still not as good as he is.
I don't think you seem to understand what "out motored" means. If you have the same motor and lose because he's a better driver, that's not being out motored.
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Another breakaway organization is not going to help keep this hobby alive and well.[/QUOTE]

Even though this new splinter group has some merit and on the surface seems to have everyone's best interest at heart, I find it somewhat odd that they would take the name "Can/Am" for such a regressive and restrictive organization when in real life the Can/Am series was the most wide open, no holds barred, run what you brung, knock down drag out, bloody nosed racing series that there ever was. Odd indeed.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Tech Champion

Out motored and outdriven- experienced both. Having the exact motor has been and is run already in several classes. You can have the fastest motor but if you can't set-up your car or drive what good is it??????? Some classes even limit the battery- big deal. Good luck .
Old 08-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mleemor60
Another breakaway organization is not going to help keep this hobby alive and well.
Even though this new splinter group has some merit and on the surface seems to have everyone's best interest at heart, I find it somewhat odd that they would take the name "Can/Am" for such a regressive and restrictive organization when in real life the Can/Am series was the most wide open, no holds barred, run what you brung, knock down drag out, bloody nosed racing series that there ever was. Odd indeed.[/QUOTE]
I really hope the current splinter does not discourage newbies that have already purchased their motors. I know that sales of motors have already taken a big beating and participation across the board is dead, except for sponsored folks that probably like it the way it is now until the companies' bottomline go down so far that they won't be able to sponsor racers no more due to irreversible lack of interest in the hobby...
I have personally witnessed tens of racers calling it quits for good due to tracks bypassing ROAR and creating their own little private racing clubs whose shifting yearly rules are designed to take out the competition through unreasonable expenses: only the filthy rich can afford racing in their events eventhough they're advertising that it's in the best interest of the 'racer' or rather the 'rich racer' that use to buy 40 of those $150 motors just to build one supermotor of the week... The new Can am series helps these rich racers, not the majority of racers. That's why the club attendance have gone down while 'rich racers' limited attendance events do well...They also multiply the events and make it look like attendance is up and the hobby is growing, but that couldn't be further from the truth...It is a very sad situation: wallet racing has morphed alot from the brushed days........

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 08-11-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by mleemor60
Another breakaway organization is not going to help keep this hobby alive and well.
Even though this new splinter group has some merit and on the surface seems to have everyone's best interest at heart, I find it somewhat odd that they would take the name "Can/Am" for such a regressive and restrictive organization when in real life the Can/Am series was the most wide open, no holds barred, run what you brung, knock down drag out, bloody nosed racing series that there ever was. Odd indeed.[/QUOTE]

The Can-Am RC Series, and the name especially, is about driving healthy on-road racing in Canada and America (the region ROAR represents on behalf of IFMAR). We know the 1970s 1:1 series was about unlimited HP. In reality, if you compare either the scale speeds or the change in speeds from 1990s to now our stock classes are faster than modified. The majority of people get frustrated by thinking they have to have the latest fastest motor or by classes being just too dam fast. Can-Am is offering a progress in overall laptomel / horsepower by using over spec'd + under geared motors to help level the playing field.

At the start of the indoor carpet season we already have four major events signed up to use these new rules. Learn more here: http://www.canamrc.com/p/events.html
Old 08-12-2018, 06:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I can't help but think a lot lf these breakaway classes / organisations are a response to people trying to overregulate things.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
I can't help but think a lot lf these breakaway classes / organisations are a response to people trying to overregulate things.
Your intitled to your opinion ,but if 4 of the major companines didnt start selling over the counter ROAR Illegal motors to unsuspecting customers I dont think this would be a issue... Or if ROAR would have just stood up and banned them this also wouldnt be a issue ... I completly understand why they chose the path they did but untimately for onroad the same end result will be achieved ... But atleast roar still has offroad .... Hell I and my son are both roar memebers but our $60 bucks didnt do us any good or make our voice heard in reguards to stopping the cheating ... So now I support a race program that isnt binded like they are . trinity could have submitted one or more of there motors to partake in the Can am classes I ran a monster max 17.5 @25deg geared at 4.2fdr yesterday in USGT and it was a great feel with equal gt lap times ... But motor came off at 105deg... Rpm reached 18k . ran for like 16min strait also in practice ... Could have been a nice motor if trinity wasnt so greedy for milking the racers for there money on a $36 costing motor

Old 08-12-2018, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Default Can aM

can am was put together by racers for racers

this group has top level drivers from around the country with many current national champions and distributors involved

it was established to eliminate motor of the month. Which are so far beyond what stock/ spec is anyway

to also provided the spec racer whether weekly or traveler the opportunity to race with a motor equal to competition

can am is currently a massive success at this moment at some of the premier tracks in the country

nobody forcing anyone into anything. But try it once. You’ll never look back

sone if the major distributors involved
Awesomatix USA, rocheusa, Crc,sweep,r1,orca,team powers,scorpion,team scream,montech USA

also with drivers such as David Spashett , Alexander Hagberg,Ollie Jeffries And more to come joining in on can am superstick at the nygp

Old 08-12-2018, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Could you list the tracks?

I am sure they are some of the premier tracks. With large turnouts every week and a stable of volunteers to help administer the program. But tracks that barely get 20-25 entries across all classes, and only have 1 or 2 guys that can help RD, tech, and do track set-up, this will be a financial and manpower burden. If they don’t do it, they stand to loose the “top level” drivers the frequent the track to use as practice for thier next big event, and if they do, they risk losing those that don’t want to buy into this. I already have motors that I feel are perfectly fine. I don’t want to rent (every time I race) or buy (even if cheap) new ones that I can only use at one location. If this is supposed to save money, it definitely does not for me.

Also why would it take ROAR to ban these motors? Why not the event organizers? Other than than the ROAR Nats, no other “big race” is ROAR sanctioned. There are zero legal or civil ramifications for an organizer of a private event to tell a company sorry you can’t play.
chensleyrc1 and scirocco14 like this.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

When the talk of this Can/Am first poked it's head up I joined in with ideas and opinions. I still contend that this concept is viable and deserves consideration except for the part that they reserve the power and control to ban, bar, kick out, etc. any company or entity that THEY feel is detrimental to THEIR opinion of how things should be done. If that is allowed to occur you can bet your fat happy rat's butt that some Attorney somewhere will pick up the opportunity and sue the group and it's constituents and participants for restraint of trade. Think it won't happen? We're talking about lawyers here.

How did all this crap get started? Seems like it was stated that it had something to do with the definition of what constituted "stock". Was that ever solved? Did this new group resolve and define what stock was? Now I see Can/Am being included conversation with USGT which already has a very well defined set of rules covering the class from end to end and top to bottom so there is no lack of clarity on any rule. Period.

You don't know how much power each of you hold individually. If you feel something being unfairly or in violation of an accepted, published and written set of rules is presented to you for purchase then keep your money in your pocket. Voila'. Problem solved. No manufacturer that I know is going to keep manufacturing or presenting for sale a product that doesn't sell. You do not need an ersatz conglomerate of wanna be do gooders telling you what you want or need to compete on or at a level that THEY state that you should. End of story. If you should choose to attend an event that these Can/Am rules are in force then you follow them as you would any rule for any event anywhere. Simple as that. Will people still purchase the odd motor that seems to always fall just outside the established parameters. Sure but now the power of peer pressure comes to the forefront. A simple "we don't run that part here" is all it takes to end the dilemma. Yes I said "part". In the early conversation on this whole lash up it was intimated that any part was subject to exclusion for what the group collectively stated as "cause".

Since most of the conversation surrounds motors I wonder how many of the motor purveyors actually manufacture anything? If they are located anywhere other than Asia I would guess none. I wonder how many of them just contract for a specific number, type, wind, rotor, sensor type and design and wire specification that they can then take in house and fine tune the output to the point that they then mark up and move on to the consumer. I wonder how many of them actually get what they pay for time and again throughout the terms of that contract. Do our "manufacturers" disassemble each and every piece as supplied to verify that what they have received is what the contract(or rules package) specified or do they just push them through their process? We as consumers hold our favorite suppliers to a standard that is often based on the most unscrupulous manufacturing system on the planet.

Before swearing allegiance to a kangaroo court in hopes that it supports anything but itself remember that further diluting the soup won't enhance the flavor.

I think that North American would have been a more appropriate title.
scirocco14 and gigaplex like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.