Wiki Posts
Search

Spec-R R1

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
The car and parts look very good. The quality is nice from what I can tell. The chassis looks nice, good cuts, clean edges.

I will probably build one over the weekend to give my impressions of fit and finish.

As I work through the bags, inspect the materials, details and quality I can say I am super impressed. This car could very well be a game changer. And for the price nothing will compare. Good job Spec-R!
Pix ?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't really have time for it now, but I will try to do it later on this week. All I can say is Very nice.

The material of their plastics looks similar to that of Tamiya, so I will probably go through caster blocks on carpet, but, I much rather have that than rubbery plastic which makes the cars drive poorly. However, the attention to detail is unparalleled even in high end kits like XRAY/ Tamiya. All the holes on the A-arms are identified with numbers and they are reversible side to side, like Tamiya. The Geometry looks very similar to a 417, but with suspension block inserts. It even comes with the nice roll center shims that are square with the slots like the aftermarket Tamiya/Exotek ones. This car will probably be pretty fast out of the box. In my book, Good geometry+ good plastics= Fast Car .
Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

thats the stuff i like to hear!! i knew that the quality was going to be suprisingly good, well that's what i was hoping it would be. looking forward to recieving the kit and getting to the build!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
The car and parts look very good. The quality is nice from what I can tell. The chassis looks nice, good cuts, clean edges.

I will probably build one over the weekend to give my impressions of fit and finish.

As I work through the bags, inspect the materials, details and quality I can say I am super impressed. This car could very well be a game changer. And for the price nothing will compare. Good job Spec-R!

Sa-weet, can't wait to pick mine up from you Christian! Will you be at M&M Thursday night?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, i will be there.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Hi, do you have any in stock? Website advises out of stock.

thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Tech Initiate

OK, finally saw this car in real.
http://slowbunnyrc.blogspot.com/2012...spec-r-r1.html

At USD290, i must say it is the best vfm car in the market.
Not sure about its durability & handling.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by slowbunnyrc

Awesome! One more day and I'll have mine, I can't wait to tear into it.

Anyone know if the ball end tool is plastic or metal yet?

Also directed mostly at Christian, Did they let you know when spare parts will be available for it? I have a feeling despite the quality level being high I'll manage to smash it pretty quickly. I recall you stating you'd be carrying a full line of spares for it a few posts back, hope they can get them to you quick.

Last edited by Xenolance; 10-03-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Mor Q's for the A's Yo!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would also like to know Christian if you have any plans to develop products for this ride and if you have anything that is already adaptable or ready to use on this platform. Aside from bladders and the like.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Does the car come with stainless hardware? Or was that something the owner did on their own?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think I'll develop parts for this car. Spec R should be doing most of the grunt work. However i am sure our springs, bladders and upcoming Xray dcj's will fit.

The car does not come with stainless steel hardware.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

I emailed Spec-R asking about option parts and and asking about the Aluminum type. This is the response: (edited)

Hi David

Thank you for your suggestion, this is very useful for us.
The R1 is not make by 7075, all aluminum parts is make by CNC machine and
high quality aluminum, same as other big company material.

Hop up parts will available later, like aluminum servo mount, DCJ..etc.
So not exactly revolutionary info.. but they got back to me fast! Go customer service!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The last pics have track debris on them. How did it run?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

So I am almost done building an R1.

These are my impressions.

Fit and Finish:
8.5 out of 10-

The finish is excellent , but arms are a little tight on the suspension mounts, so I used some aluminum washers to free up the suspension. Caster blocks have a little bit of slop, but again, most cars do to.

Plastic reminds me of XRAY/TOP, not so much Tamiya. The Caster blocks however seem to have Carbon in them.

Ball cups are so-so. They are free and fit well, but they are so hard that when you tighten the turnbuckle to the recommended lengths, the turnbuckles are not really adjustable, they just pop off when you try to turn them. Maybe threading the ballcups with a tap would be a good idea. Or simply using Tamiya ballcups.

One issue that I had was that since the plastic is so hard, I stripped a ball cup hex (they are aluminum) threading it in. I would recommend a 3mm tap to ensure easier threading.

This car has the best bellcrank in the market. I have never seen one with such little slop. Everyone should copy this.

Drivetrain:
9.5 out of 10-

The spool is super light and very easy to build. The diff is a step up from previous Spec R diffs, it does not feel "geary" at all and it sealed well with the Oring. The added bearings to the outdrives makes them rotate very smoothly and takes away all the wobble. All diffs should be like this.

Belts are like all other industry standards, drive shafts are nice and smooth. It does not score a perfect score because installing the spur is cumbersome.

Suspension:
10 out of 10-

This might be the most adjustable car out of the box available today. It comes with the inserts for the suspension mounts which allow you to set your arm sweep and toe very easily. It includes roll center shims that are very easy to use. It has 4 shock positions for the front A-Arms and 5 for the rear. The sway bars are awesome. I love the set-screw ball cups for the wire and the mounting system. Easiest to set-up sway bar system ever. The AE sway bar system was very nice on the TC6.1, however I like this one more as it has less slop.

Shock towers have a ton of positions. More than your average car. Some people don't like this, I do. I am always fine tuning so the more holes, the better.

I am yet to get to the shocks, but I will add to this when I am done.

Overall though, I am beyond impressed with this car. The quality I feel is as good or better than TOP/AE, and the price will never cease to impress.

One thing to keep in mind is why this car is priced lower. Spec R is distributed by itself. They have no middle man, so the savings are handed down to the consumer. If this car had a distributor, it would be the same price as a TOP/AE car.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Great post Christian! Thanks for the heads up on tapping the ball cups, that will no doubt save me a lot of headache! I actually just bought a set of Tamiya ball cups for my old Corally just for looks but I may just save em for the Spec R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.