Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Savage X 4.6 3-speed and reverse modules? >

Savage X 4.6 3-speed and reverse modules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Savage X 4.6 3-speed and reverse modules?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Savage X 4.6 3-speed and reverse modules?

Hey,
I love my new Savage X 4.6, but would like more speed and reverse. So it is possible to have the 3-speed module and the reverse module installed? Is there enough room for both of them? is it a good idea? will I have to upgrade anything else? I'm getting a DX3S radio so won't need the mixer for the reverse module.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have a Savage X 4.6 with the 3 speed in it, it isn't any bigger than the 2 speed. Shouldn't be any issue with adding the reverse module and the 3 speed if the reverse module fits with 2 speed. I recommend putting a 52T spur gear on with the 3 speed, it is a blast.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Tech Initiate

i have an xl so mine came with the 3 speed. i installed the reverse module in mine. as uhgg said their both the same size. the reverse module fits inside, but i think you could spend your money wiser on a better hop up as the reverse is not really worth it. i wouldnt do it again...
Old 05-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A reverse enabled Savage is good when you want to 'get out of the trouble' i.e. reverse to make a pass; than walking to your truck...
Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by roychan69
A reverse enabled Savage is good when you want to 'get out of the trouble' i.e. reverse to make a pass; than walking to your truck...
Do you have a savage? The reverse is a waist of time!!Unless you want a trailer queen. DONT waist your money on that hop up!!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

i just spend my money and wait my reverses to come.. i abit regert after i read so many bad review. i want to ask if i only reverses slow only... and on full thottle when on forward gear it shall not a issue rite ? that will not kill the gear if i seldom used reverses ?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by altonamud
Do you have a savage? The reverse is a waist of time!!Unless you want a trailer queen. DONT waist your money on that hop up!!
I have a Savage X that could run and handle as good as a truggy, I shall not list my hop-ups like sway bars, shocks, engine or U-shafts/joints etc...

I HAVE the reverse, and my Futaba 4PK assigned-switch is a joy to use when I want to engage the reverse; you have to get that metal-plate to 'push-in' (engage to forward) properly, it's not what you mentioned difficult to use or waste of money, learn your wrenching skill and go read up...
Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by roychan69
I have a Savage X that could run and handle as good as a truggy, I shall not list my hop-ups like sway bars, shocks, engine or U-shafts/joints etc...

I HAVE the reverse, and my Futaba 4PK assigned-switch is a joy to use when I want to engage the reverse; you have to get that metal-plate to 'push-in' (engage to forward) properly, it's not what you mentioned difficult to use or waste of money, learn your wrenching skill and go read up...
i feel better after read ur post.. hahahaha so far i belive that reverse only will break if you don't totally stop your car before u switch ur gear...

correct me if i am wrong
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Also it seems there are 2 types of 3 speed transmission: the racing one and the regular one (at least based on the HPI website and Tower Hobbies).
Old 06-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snakemau
Also it seems there are 2 types of 3 speed transmission: the racing one and the regular one (at least based on the HPI website and Tower Hobbies).
are you looking for one
Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vios8820
i feel better after read ur post.. hahahaha so far i belive that reverse only will break if you don't totally stop your car before u switch ur gear...

correct me if i am wrong
Hahahaha...., Yes you're right, the truck have to be stop completely before you switch to a reverse gear (third servo) via your radio third-channel button/switch.

Everything have to be install correctly; if not, even a 'fool-proof installation guide or method' will fooled us, hahahaha....
Old 06-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

yea !!! we have the same thinking gimme 5 **piak** oh dear i hope my reversed module come soooner.. so i going to try it out and let u know.. i used MGT2.0 Reversed because it never overcome issue for me...

mostly i saw alot of reserved module break because of inappropriate uses .. (some people are just can't wait to let the car totally stop and switch the gear and after that pop.. am they blame WTH this XXXXXXXXXing weak reversed module ) every car reversed module break if don't install or used carefully..
Old 06-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT
Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I run a 3 speed and reverse in my Savage. Probably one of the better things I have ever done other than a new engine and dual disk brakes. I have had this setup on my Savage for about 3 1/2 years now with no failures because of it.

My recommendation is that if you don't want the mixer, then you need to hold the brake while engaging reverse so you don't ruin it. Then hold the brake until you throw it into forward gear. I use a standard strength servo so to ensure it engages the gear, I let it idle for a second or two to give the servo some time to catch up. So long as you remember that, you should be fine. One nice thing about the mixer is that it forces you to hold the brake in order to switch to reverse and so on. If you are going to race your Savage, you might as well spend your money else where.But ever since the onslaught of the Truggy class, who races these things nowadays?

I race mine from time to time, but it is mainly a basher and isn't my primary class. I just race it for fun against T-Maxx's and such. Its a good ol' time.

Hope this helps! By the way, your Savage should have no problems at all incorporating both the 3 speed tranny and reverse. HPI actually designed the 3 speed that way! With the 3 speed you should be looking at a slight increase of speed and torque at the wheels, but nothing too crazy. Have fun!