Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Well what car should i get!! 1/8

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Well what car should i get!! 1/8

Ok, I got a hpi r40 as of now with a Sirio Evo 2. It was fun but not enough. not as fast as i wanted and the scale just got too small. Welp time to go 8th scale...

Im looking at the kyosho Evolva-Serpent 950r- Mugen MRX-4. These are what i can think of off the top of my head. and these seem to be the best way to go as for parts. I just need it for parking lot terrorizing.

As for a motor im thinking on one of the new O.S on-road motors for like 200 or just go and get a nice JP or another sirio but knowing my .12 sirio was not that great of a motor... It was fast and all but it allways ideld werd and very funky. Or maybe its just me, not used to having a motor like that.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If your just bashing , yes anything will get boring over time. Racing is what makes the hobby last, at least fun wise.

That and getting an off-road vehicle of some sort. But seriously as I was telling someone else get a friend that really makes bashing in p-lots fun. Get some cones that also helps , use timers , set out a good length of time and get some good running in and then maybe try a few different setups with the car see what comes out better , see if you cant advance your times and so on.

Or of course find a local race track or monthly / weekly race event and have some run really racing.

Im saying because I understand where your coming from. But a 1/8scale isnt really made for a parkinglot and they arent cheap.

I guess im going at if fun your after. Stick with the R40 and take it to some races...see how that goes. But I know of people who will sell and buy vehicles based on what type of track they can run at. It makes that much difference to some if they can race or bash.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Maybe i should just get a buggy then...naaa

Me and my friends go to a very nice HUGE parking lot to run at. I do enjoy the r40 but i would just like the Power and performance that comes from an 1/8th.

I'v been in the hobby for about 7 years and my pockets are deep and filled... the only places to run my r40 is at the toledo track. Rcscrewz is way to small for gas cars IMO and the i used to race 1/12th scale and it was just not my cup of tea.(sold all of it) yea people take it seriously but i just love tinkering. Whats this i here Kyosho is coming out with a 2005 model Evolva? sounds intersting.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

O.S. .21 VZ-R Turbo II w/20K Carb or

Trinity Sirio .21 On-Road Pro Racing Engine

You guys think this would be a good motor? to start with?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chad_R40
Ok, I got a hpi r40 as of now with a Sirio Evo 2. It was fun but not enough. not as fast as i wanted and the scale just got too small. Welp time to go 8th scale...

Im looking at the kyosho Evolva-Serpent 950r- Mugen MRX-4. These are what i can think of off the top of my head. and these seem to be the best way to go as for parts. I just need it for parking lot terrorizing.

As for a motor im thinking on one of the new O.S on-road motors for like 200 or just go and get a nice JP or another sirio but knowing my .12 sirio was not that great of a motor... It was fast and all but it allways ideld werd and very funky. Or maybe its just me, not used to having a motor like that.
Have you raced the car yet?

I promise that you will blow your car up in the first sweeper at your track. Stick to what you have now before dropping $1000 into a 1/8 car and mediocre engine, not including pipe, manifold or electrics.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

You will like the Evolva if you get one! I have one and it is very neutral and carries good corner speed. The Delta is an excellent car, and should be considered too. It uses all the plastic parts from the Evolva but the metal parts are made in house.
The XR8 from Power Racing, is a great buy! It is a bit better equipped (out of the box) and saves a lot of money (more to put into engine or electronics).
I have sold several Sirio .12 evo2 engines and all were easy to tune, idle well, and make great power. I put a pro .21 in my 1/8 and had a few problems... first a piece of the carb came off (inside) and destroyed the engine! After they rebuilt it, the rear bearing came apart and killed it again! The 2nd time I was just finishing break-in. The engine did run well. My problems were probably not indicitive of what one should expect from this engine.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah if your after speed get the new os tz motor that will only leave you hurting for 200 dollars.

1/8th scale costs a lot..and its more of a track based car then even touring cars. So its kinda pointless to get a 1/8scale just for bashing.

But hey if you must you must. If its bashing id go with the best bang for the buck. So if you dont like it like touring it wont be such a loss.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

XR8 or since your just bashing or parking lot running I would go with the XR80 .... that gives you everything to start out with for around $400
thats the best bang for the buck I know of..
Old 06-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I 2nd the XR80 idea, I have one, love it... It'll save you a ton of $$$, get you out there quicker(no building), and you can swap recievers and use your remote. The 9 port 27 that comes with it propels it to very high speeds, should be just what you're looking for. Then later, if you decide to get into racing, just upgrade, or run it nearly stock, as I am...
Old 06-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Guys,

I have to say that 1/8 scale doesnt cost as much as what you think. The price of the 200mm nitro class has risen so much that its getting into 1/8 scale territory.

John
Old 06-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Adept

Welp i should of gave you guys more info.... i raced 1/10th nitro and 1/12 electric for about 2 years. Been on the track before k. where could i buy a Delta from???? but otherwise im very intersted in the evolva. the MTX4 is sorta high in price and i hear god and bad things about the 950R. as for a motor im going to go with the .21 o.s vz-r Turbo II
Old 06-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Jye
Tech Regular

its not very cost worthy or track legal as i know but its a very nice parking lot engine. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEPH9&P=7 .
Old 06-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Chad_R40,

I think you are breaking one of the 10 commandments. "Thou shalt not run a 1/8 onroad car in a parking lot"

Your going to hell for this one!!

John
Old 06-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

FINE! WERAK MY DREAMS. i'll just get a buggy then. more versital and i can take it to a local off road track.... i hope im making the right choice.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

LOL. Chad I feel bad for you on all the responses. I think I now see where your at on this one. You just want responses on those 1/8 cars.

Well as a lot of people say its sometimes best to get what your lhs has the most of. I also sometimes check around forums, articles, magazines....check the vehicles themselves and see what pros and cons you can find.

Sometimes your lhs themselves are worth probing for answers...and if you can ask maybe 1-2 different guys there if its large enough what they think or even what they drive. Id also ask what class they run in. You dont want some off-road guy telling you about 1/8scale on-road. Or some 1/12th electric guy giving you advice.

Hopefully youll find whats best for you. Also figuring in price and other things. But 1/8scale buggies are pretty much as good as you can get. Fast almost anywhere and still very responsive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.