Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
Disappointed by the flaming that Bent is getting.

He's trying to help us all here with his experience of the XB4 and a wise man would take consideration of his words, not argue with him.

Out of my recent 4wd purchases (XB4, D413, ZX6) I've only run the XB4 so far. I did strip a pinion but I put it down to lack of experience on my part; slipper settings and brake settings on ESC are a vital part of setup, which I had wrong.

It's an awesome platform. In terms of build quality, I would put it between the ZX6 and D413 and that's reflective of the price I paid for it. Simple fact - if people weren't willing to pay the price for the XB4, it wouldn't be priced where it is.

I'll put my hand up and say I don't want metal pinions and crowns. I don't think there's a need for them and I hate the noise of metal on metal.
Thanks

It's really getting old now after almost 2 years on this thread.

I guess it's time to sign off RcTech for good and spend the time focusing on the racing instead.

As I said we have the EuroOffroadSeries just around the corner and we have applied for both the 1/10 Buggy and 1/8 Nitro Buggy European Championships as well as the 1/10 Buggy World Championship in Japan next year so we have our work cut out for us.

If anyone wants some tips or feedback on setups etc. feel free to sign up to my daughter's racing blog on Facebook and contact me there

Until then…..see you at the racetrack

Bent
Old 10-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default thank you for the help

Thank you bentka for the information, suggestions, and answering all of the questions. It really is a thankless job. You and your daughter are an asset to xray.

The xb4 is very durable and the machining and part quality are second to none. My original batch xb4 (with the v2 upgrade parts), is still tight with minimal wear. That is what you pay for with xray.

To reiterate -> IF YOUR SLIPPER IS SET CORRECTLY YOU WILL NOT BREAK DIFF GEARS. If you hold 1 rear wheel and the spur with one arm and try to turn the other rear wheel, the slipper should slip when you apply moderate force. If it doesn't, it is too tight. If you cannot see any threads beyond the slipper nut and your slipper is still tight, the problem is in the slipper pads. The easy solution is to change the slipper pads.

To keep costs down, I run regular associated pads and they work great (they are a bit smaller, but it doesn't affect anything):
http://www.amain.com/Team-Associated...Pad-Set/p16646
(you will have to tighten the slipper more because the pads are thinner and have less surface area.)

Bentka, enjoy time racing with your daughter, and thanks again.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa
Thanks

It's really getting old now after almost 2 years on this thread.

I guess it's time to sign off RcTech for good and spend the time focusing on the racing instead.

As I said we have the EuroOffroadSeries just around the corner and we have applied for both the 1/10 Buggy and 1/8 Nitro Buggy European Championships as well as the 1/10 Buggy World Championship in Japan next year so we have our work cut out for us.

If anyone wants some tips or feedback on setups etc. feel free to sign up to my daughter's racing blog on Facebook and contact me there

Until then…..see you at the racetrack

Bent
Sad to hear you're signing off rctech. the internets a harsh place filled with people that have no respect but for themselves.

Have to add, only bought the XB4 because it looked so good going around what i think is your local track; the way it flies between the end of the pit straight on to the banked corner is awesome!!

if i need any help or advice on the XB4, i'll be sure to come find you on Malin's blog.

All the best for the 14/15 season!!!
Old 10-09-2014, 06:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Gotta have thick skin for rctech. Bent- there will always be keyboard cowboys. Block them and keep helping us with the xb4.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Looked at the diff gears for the sb401 buggy. Similar, but have a curved profile so they won't be compatible or drop in unless (maybe) one wants to try diff+pinion+CVD+ driveshaft to center diff/slipper as an entire assembly.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jay Dub
Looked at the diff gears for the sb401 buggy. Similar, but have a curved profile so they won't be compatible or drop in unless (maybe) one wants to try diff+pinion+CVD+ driveshaft to center diff/slipper as an entire assembly.
Kinda getting to the cost point then of either selling one's XB4 for the SB401 or simply waiting another couple days to see what Xray releases for 2015.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
Uh Solenoids were always Huphreys from day 1. Humphrey is a USA company.

The ONLY place outside of Eaton Precision Machining that made barrels for him was CP (Custom Products) which happens to also be in the USA. Arizona in fact.

Why do I know this? because I designed the Manuals for Bob's guns for 5 years and am one of the top techs in the world. My old home number is located on the inside back cover of every manual I designed for him.

Nice try though.

The only aspect in which you are correct is that he never had machines in house, but he did sort of partner with Ripper Machinist by investing in 2 of the best machines money can buy in order to have his markers made using state of the art machines. In fact, that very machinist is the one who brought Bob and myself together and he's also the guy who machined my POWER Series Triggers.

IDK where you got your info from but you are sadly mistaken.

Here's a post dating back to 2007 of a Board manual I designed for his (then) New Marker.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1948469

Why is this being posted to an XRAY XB4 forum? I don't want to read about f***ing paintball manufacturers. Go back to the Durango thread. You don't have the car, don't talk about it.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by the incubus
Guess you must be talking about a different Humphrey.

http://www.humphrey-products.com/content/our-company

I've worked with them first hand and have spoken to some of the people there and to my knowledge they are a 100% USA operation. Now, if they were bought out by someone else, that's a different story. Even still they are located in the US of A.

You claim to have been Jason's roommate yet you didn't know that CP is the only other manufacturer that machined Bob's barrels. Please. It's not a pissing contest just mentioning my credentials and how and why I know what I know. You all can continue to believe that some companies use special processes and techniques and utilizing "special" materials, different to what everyone else is doing and using if you like. I've done quite a bit of research and shopping around to know that what I am saying is factually correct.

Ironic that I say something a bout X-Ray/Hudy products being overpriced and get crucified for it, yet the mere mention of either one in most any forum (including this one) and the jokes about payin for them out the whazoo for them fly rampant. Coincidence?

Please go back to the Durango HobbyPro threads.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jamison R
Gotta have thick skin for rctech. Bent- there will always be keyboard cowboys. Block them and keep helping us with the xb4.
Nah.. People who don't run the car and yap about paintball should go where people will actually care. There are other threads for cars, and also threads for none RC related stuff. A mod has been asked to watch this thread.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
Kinda getting to the cost point then of either selling one's XB4 for the SB401 or simply waiting another couple days to see what Xray releases for 2015.
I kind of hope they don't change too much. I really like my car the way it is.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Seems to me it was a dead topic everyone involved left alone and yet you come in here to complain and drum it up so as to elicit a response.
That's called baiting and I sincerely hope whatever mods read this realize that fact. I never attacked anyone in here, just posted my opinions derived through personal experiences. On the contrary, someone proceeded to insult me and still I never once replied in any manor proceeding to insult them nor anyone else.

As far as I know RCTech is an RC forum where people come to talk about and discuss everything RC almost endlessly and we crossover from thread to thread and share valuable information gathered through our own experiences. I for one go out of my way to share information I pick up and learn as I go because I enjoy helping others. it's too bad some folks aren't openminded and take such issue with things they don't agree with, so personally, they resort to insulting others.

There is cross pollination in every single "car specific" thread on RCTech and in the ones for the cars I run, any and all input is welcomed.

I've unsubscribed to this thread but I wish you all happy times racing your RC cars.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Anyone running JConcepts Splitters on the rear of their XB4 (I haven't found them for the front yet) on hard packed dirt with good results. I'll find out tomorrow regardless as I have them paired with a set of Dirt webs on the front. I've been fighting a loose rear end and hope this is another small step in the right direction for my track conditions, a loose slipper has helped too.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by suzukipro
Anyone running JConcepts Splitters on the rear of their XB4 (I haven't found them for the front yet) on hard packed dirt with good results. I'll find out tomorrow regardless as I have them paired with a set of Dirt webs on the front. I've been fighting a loose rear end and hope this is another small step in the right direction for my track conditions, a loose slipper has helped too.
What's your set up? What kind of dirt/clay are you running on?
Old 10-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by suzukipro
There are no 4wd front Splitters, you will have to cut down a pair or rears to fit what you need. That being said, the Splitters are kinda tall pin, they look super cool, but they will only be as good as the surface you run on. What I mean is, they could be good, but for hard packed, they will likely just "skate" over top of that type of surface, you might be better off running a harder type front tire or a front tire with less grip. Are you running it in short wheelbase? That is, are the rear hubs fully forward?

Last edited by HeavyD99; 10-12-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
There are no 4wd front Splitters, you will have to cut down a pair or rears to fit what you need. That being said, the Splitters are kinda tall pin, they look super cool, but they will only be as good as the surface you run on. What I mean is, they could be good, but for hard packed, they will likely just "skate" over top of that type of surface, you might be better off running a harder type front tire or a front tire with less grip. Are you running it in short wheelbase? That is, are the rear hubs fully forward?
I'll try to post a setup sheet once I get around to filling it out. The surface is hard packed dirt, but it gets a fine dust over it and drys out once the heat gets turned on and the day goes on. Small pins seem to work well and a supersoft tire has worked best in my experience. I have the hubs almost fully back, running the avid pistons 32.5 F & 27.5 R (3dot springs) The plastic shim is off on the back, but I retained the stock toe plate (not the +2) to keep the roll center as low as possible, pills are in bottom - outer location. Rear shocks are on the back of the tower (bumpy track) and two brass 20gram weights have been installed (they really seem to help). I've been running green dirtwebs and they are very consistent, I just need to get the rear end settled down a tad more when getting on throttle (RSX with 6.5 no boost or timing). The slipper is also set
pretty loose, but it seems to have helped a bit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.