Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning 1/8 Buggy (Air compressor)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default Cleaning 1/8 Buggy (Air compressor)

Well, I drove my RC8Be in the sand I noticed the bearings got really gritty don't know if it was like this over time or if the sand got in them.

I do blow my buggy off for a few minutes every tiny part of it with a air compressor at about 80-110 psi. Could this be pushing dirt into the bearings? I also grease my CVDs. Could the dirt and grease get into the bearings by the air compressor?

I was thinking to blow it off but leave area around the bearings lightly blown and to not blow directly into the bearings but blow it from the sides and lightly so no dirt gets in. Let me hear your brains.

Also, what do you use to keep mud off? WD-40?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You definitely don't want to aim the compressed air at the bearings. It does push in dirt.

As far as keeping the mud off.. don't drive in the mud? I had to
But seriously, I've heard a lot of great things about KalGard products. They have one that is specificly for that. Once it's cleaned you use it, and it makes it easier to clean off. I guess it's like Pam for r/c's. Also you could use mudguards on the rear a-arms to keep the amount of dirt that gets in there to a minimum.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

Thanks allot. Yeah, so how long do your bearings last? I had my RC8e(converted to RC8Be) since May. I blew compressed air into the bearings point blank thinking it would blow the dirt to the sides.

Only thing that bugs me are bearings. I hate replacing them. What's the best way to get the most life out of them? How long do your last?
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I couldn't give a time frame for my bearings life span. Mine last me quite awhile. But I don't usually go crazy over them either. I'll only take care of em when they get gritty, and start dragging. In which case I just pull the shields off, clean them up, and relube them. That's only because I hate having downtime. The best bet is to just replace them with $1 Avid bearings, and make sure to not blow the air right at them again.

I don't think there is much you really can do to prolong their life, besides not blowing air into them. Sand especially is going to get everywhere so I tend to avoid sand. But even dirt can do it too.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Hmmm, glad I read this. I blow my tekno losi 8E off after every heat and actually try to get air into the wheel bearings, but now that I think about it, that air isn't going to blast the dirt out of the bearing.

I will not aim the compressor in there any more.

I replaced my wheel bearings about 3 months ago (Avid type bearings) and have 4-5 race days on them. They are still doing good.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Yeah I like bearings to LAST.