Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is there a good car for both drifting and touring? Looking for a quality 1/10 roller. >

Is there a good car for both drifting and touring? Looking for a quality 1/10 roller.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a good car for both drifting and touring? Looking for a quality 1/10 roller.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Is there a good car for both drifting and touring? Looking for a quality 1/10 roller.

Hi. I am hoping to find a 1/10th scale car that can be switched from touring to drift mode by simply swapping wheels out. Is this a realistic aproach? (I know it will need to be 4wd). I am hoping to buy it for less than$300 if possible. Because I will be driving mainly on parkinglots it should probably be a shaft driven car to prevent any damage from debree to the belt. This does mean that I will be suffering from the known problems of shaft driven cars though. I don't care if it is used as long as it is in good condition. I have been looking through the classified ads on here but am not sure of the best model for me.

I am new to the ONROAD part of rc. I own a rustler vxl and brushless micro-t and want to start drifting and do a bit of carpet/asphalt racing. I will not be competing in drift competitions but I really want to drift around parking lots. I just bought a new 4600kv mamba max motor and castle 10th scale esc and now need a chassis to complement it. I will also be purchasing a body, servo, and spektrum reciever.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

www.groovydrift.com

Great site for drifting info etc.

To "Easily" got from on-road to off-road, I would look at a tamiya. They have some new kits that are quite impressive. AND many of the kits are inter-changable. In addition, the tub chassis is durable and you won't have to do much to make the car drift. Changing the springs/oil and using different tires.

Rally:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58430
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58417
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58440

Drift:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58428

You'll notice the chassis codes are the same, but the letter designation indicates a difference.

TT01D Drift Spec
vs
TT01E

So what does that mean.... more than likely the parts between the 2 are inter-changable.

If you are just getting started, the Tamiya are a great way to get the feel of drifting and slowly upgrade as needed. Excellent Dual purpose car!

MOmo
Old 11-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I am not a big fan of drifting but I did simply ONLY change to drifting tires and enjoyed it a little bit on parking lot From that little experience, what I can share with you is setting up a car for drifting is not terribly hard compared with setting up for a serious on road race, which means you may want to get a competitive kit for easy racing tune-up, and change to drifting tires and have little adjustment when you want to drift. As for what kit can do both? Any kit people always talk about here is 100% able to do so.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have a tamiya tb-o3d with a few upgrades that I use for silvercan class and it is performing great. I almost won the main the last time I raced with it. It was my driving skill that prevented me from winning the race

I used it for drifting once, just changed to drift tires and it handled pretty good. I'm new to drifting, but the guys I was with who are into rc drifting tried my tb-03d and was impressed on how good it handled. One of them liked it so much, he offered to buy it.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In the price range you want, I would look at Tamiya. I own 3 and love them. Kits and parts are affordable (plenty of used ones around also), they perform great in racing, and I have thrown drift tires on mine without any other changes and had a blast. I have friends with every other brand car, and all are good also, (its your budget) parts your local hobby shop sells might help your descision. good luck with your onroad car!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks everyone for the replies. I actually belong to groovydrift but my computer had blocked it for a while. From the people on groovydrift, the tt-01 is just a cheap model that will need a lot of upgrading. I will continue looking and keep the comments coming . Thanks!

And MOmo I am not looking for a car to use as drifting and offroad but instead drifting and touring (like carpet and asphalt racing)

Last edited by small=breakable; 11-10-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Out of the HPI Sprint 2 and Losi XXX-S, which one can drift best without having to change anything? I am looking for a car that I can simply swap out the wheels to change from drift to touring. I will not be competing in drift competitions but will sparingly be racing at my track. So I will normally be on parkinglots where debree can possibly fly into the belt which makes me want to favor the losi. Help please? Thanks!

P.S. I will be using a mamba max 4600kv and a 3s lipo. I may buy a 2s later
Old 11-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Look into the Tamiya TB03. I just ordered one for the same purposes you are looking at. It has a covered gear and is shaft drive so you won't have the issues of debris. You will ruin the belt driven gears quick. The other shaft drive cars are still exposed, better than belt but still exposed.