Wiki Posts
Search

30% fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 30% fuel

soemone has got to be using 30%.my lhs says it helps to keep motor cooler and running better.any experience with this from anyone?thanks.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

it really depends on what you want the fuel for. If you want it in a .12 sized engine, 20% is more than enough. In a .21 or bigger it might be what you're looking for.

I went from 20-30% a few years ago. I hade to lean out my mixture, so that tells you it's working better. Just be careful with your tuning of it. It's no different trying to get a tune but with the higher nitro you will generally see little less oil. That makes being right with the needles alot more important.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IF you run 30% you should not have any issues with oil , This is how it works, if you have been running 20% fuel and switch to 30% richen up your HS needle only ! Or you will tear things up ,, this of coarse is if your using same brand , Like Byron's or Odonell then you will need to do what I said earlier . If you change brands totally , then you need to start over with your tune !! Personally if your a millionare then use any of the TRinity fuels , if your like the rest of us , use Byron's or Odonells . These are the best fuels I have ever used that are availible almost everywhere .Bluethunder is ok , but Sidewinder is crap and Traxxas and TRinity too. Mugen fuel is great stuff and I have heard good things about Maxy's too . But I have yet to see any good Traxxas Trinity or Sidewinder fuels . They all make your engine run WAY HOT!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Any of the fuels I have used, oil is always an issue. The oil content has alot to do with how the engine is tuned.

Just a question for you though, Why not the Sidewinder? O'Donnel seems to be the best but we can't get it here anymore. We can get almost anything else and I hate the Byron's. I have had nothing but good luck with the Sidewinder 30% worlds blend which is 11% oil.

And anytime I have switched over from 20% to 30% I have had to lean the mixture out. Doesn't make sense to what you would beleive but that's what happened.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if you are making the jump from 20 to 30 try to stik with the same brand you were using. The big thing you need to be careful of are how many shims you have installed. Just about every IF not all .21's come shimmed for 30%, but just to be on the safe side make sure you have the correct shims. It is usually stated somewhere in the manual.

Yes running 30 will make your engine run slightly cooler - that is a common misunderstanding among many people - they think a higher content = higher temps - wrong - more nitro brings more air into the combustion chamber, hence slightly cooler temps.

As was stated above - richen your needles and let the engine get used to the higher % for the first 2 tanks, especially if you changed the compression ratio.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Most engines you don't need to change the shims , they will work fine with 30% ,as far as running cooler ? AHHH NOOO if you want the same power as 20% then yes it will run cooler ,because your running richer. If you run 30% tuned as tight as you would for 20% to get race power , you will run hotter , but also have alot more power ! 30% usually will give you easy tuning ,better idle and stronger throttle response. As far as worring about oil content , don't ! All the different fuel mfger's have "special oil specs" so it is all in the way it performs for you basically. And if you like Odonells fuel but Don't like Byron's fuel ????????? The 2 of them are vertually identical , one has a stonger smell to it than the other ,but they both work AWSOME !! I have had unbelievable good luck with both of them , Odonells is hard to get where I live , unless I order 20 cases of it It is out of reach . And I'll be damned if I'll pay $30 plus dollars a gallon for it! I use 2-3 cases a year just racing , nevermind practice !
Old 02-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Nitromethane carries oxygen with it which is where the power increase comes from (more oxygen allows for more fuel burn). It's strange that swiching from 20 to 30 would cause you to lean your mixture but these are wierd little engines. I found the oposite on my two engines. If you have 30% nitro you will be able to pass more fuel throught the engine, this is the reason that most brands drop oil content by ~1% when they go up in nitro. You may also loose run time due to the increase of nitro. This should also bring temps down. I found that running a colder plug can help the engine run crisper but hurts idle performance.

I like the Byron's stuff. Odonnell seems to run very well but the fumes burn my eyes and I have heard that you have to be more careful about applying after run oil because the oil package doesn't repel moisture as well as some other fuels.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

I run traxxas fuel in my big block engines because it has ALOT of oil in it. I prefer to run higher oil contents in my bigger engines. Actually, the traxxas I run is 33% nitro, which I think makes up for the increased oil content, which tends to decrease your performance. I use O'donnel in my small blocks and I used to run it in my big blocks too. I have never liked Blue thunder because it always made my engines run hot. I haven't tried Sidewinder, Byrons, White Lightning, Trinity, Maxy, or any other fuel, so I guess I haven't viewed the full spectrum. But I can't get those fuels where I am anyways, so what's the point.

Just a tip I want to share: If you ever get free fuel, usually at big races and such, and it isn't your brand, don't refuse to take it. Accept the fuel and sell it to somebody who does use it. That gives you a little extra change in your pocket to buy that exhaust gasket you have been neglecting.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Guys this is why I run Byron's Race 30% take a look at the crank of my RS7 that I took out of my buggy back in Aug. I left the engine out on my bench ever since then and NOT A DROP OF AFTERRUN I don't believe in the stuff!
and I never cleaned it out either , I was mad at this engine so it got no special treatment ! and those tiny brown spots wiped right off ,what they are is the die that is in the fuel . This stuff is AWSOME !! Not even Odonells fuel is this good !! I know because my OS only ran on Odonell and it was all rusty !
http://www.glowplug.com/mp777/byron%20fuel%20.JPG
Old 02-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (95%+)

Originally Posted by mremtr
IF you run 30% you should not have any issues with oil , This is how it works, if you have been running 20% fuel and switch to 30% richen up your HS needle only ! Or you will tear things up ,, this of coarse is if your using same brand , Like Byron's or Odonell then you will need to do what I said earlier . If you change brands totally , then you need to start over with your tune !! Personally if your a millionare then use any of the TRinity fuels , if your like the rest of us , use Byron's or Odonells . These are the best fuels I have ever used that are availible almost everywhere .Bluethunder is ok , but Sidewinder is crap and Traxxas and TRinity too. Mugen fuel is great stuff and I have heard good things about Maxy's too . But I have yet to see any good Traxxas Trinity or Sidewinder fuels . They all make your engine run WAY HOT!
There is no need to touch the setting until it becomes an issue,i went from trinity platnium 30% to byrons 30% and was able to lean both needles while dropping my temp from 230 to 215 in one week.

the temp was the same at the time we were running the mains both weeks so it was a clear indication that the fuel made the difference.

shimming-unless your motor is not equipped to handle 30 then yes shim it,but dont forget to shim it back the other way if you go back to 20.

until recently i used and broke in all the motors i own with trinity platnium race fuel,it is one of the best fuels on the market if i wasnt running byrons now that is the fuel i would go back to.
byrons uses no additives in thier fuel and the oil content is higher with the same percentage of nitro

if your motor was running hot with trinity it was the tune not the fuel(unless it was old or was abatch that was sitting in a wherehouse waiting to be delivered)

odonnell-never had a problem with it do not like the smell makes me sick
white lightning-loved it did not like the lower oil content
hpi power fuel-too much oil for me
blue thunder-liked it didnt like the color it turned my motors
traxxas-never had a problem with it
sidewinder-didnt like it seemed to not hold tune for me
trinity-love it and would go back if i couldnt get the brand im running now
byrons-to date one the best fuels i have ever run this one takes the top spot for me,seriously guys look into this fuel you will not be disappointed and if you want customer service? give them a call they will talk your ear off

again these are my opinions and nothing more
Old 02-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

what brown dots, what die? can you explain yourself a little better.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mremtr
Guys this is why I run Byron's Race 30% take a look at the crank of my RS7 that I took out of my buggy back in Aug. I left the engine out on my bench ever since then and NOT A DROP OF AFTERRUN I don't believe in the stuff!
and I never cleaned it out either , I was mad at this engine so it got no special treatment ! and those tiny brown spots wiped right off ,what they are is the die that is in the fuel . This stuff is AWSOME !! Not even Odonells fuel is this good !! I know because my OS only ran on Odonell and it was all rusty !
http://www.glowplug.com/mp777/byron%20fuel%20.JPG
yeah i agree with the after run, but i do use it when i put my stuff away for the winter though

as for the race 3000 fuel top notch as far as im concerned
Old 02-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002
what brown dots, what die? can you explain yourself a little better.
most all fuel companies "die" thier fuel a color,trinity-purple etc,etc.....

the die usually "stains" the components in the motor that color,i noticed when running my motor on the box for the first time with byrons alot of greenish "goo" was coming out.
when i pulled the head off my motor and looked in it was starting to get rid of all the staining,i just took my motor apart after 2 weeks of running this fule(byrons)and the motor is starting to get its shiny metal apperance back
Old 02-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

Unless that pic's is bad it looks like that crank pin is worn and is that not rust on the main baring? Not flaming, I am just stating what I see. I use Byron's as well.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:36 AM
Tech Regular

I never said the engine was brand new , that engine is totally whipped ! The brown on the bearing is carbon from a wiped out piston/sleeve earlier on in it's life when the front bearing failed ,that crank is supposed to be new along with the rod , about a gallon ago , but I am serious douting it now, that engione spent more time in a box going back for warrenty work than it did on the track , but the point is how nice that crank looks because it didn't rust , my Crono 4 port looks just as nice except the crank pin and piston/sleeve isn't spent LOL