Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New track, need suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 04:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

how many sqft are you predicting you are needing? looks like you can get a year lease anywhere from 7.00 - 11.00 per sqft per year. I would think you needed about 10k sqft at minimum.

I wouldnt offer food unless no fast food was close because your insurance will shoot up. You can always get companies to bring in vending machines and they usually split the profits with you depending on the amount of profit you wish to make (lower costs equal greater sales). Plus they provide the liability on the machines.
Alcohol, forget it. Your insurance will skyrocket, not to mention some knuckle head getting drunk after leaving your facillity and then blaming you or your staff for serving them too much alcohol when you should have stopped. Plus if you want a family environment alcohol is never going to be popular with some parents (I know I wouldnt want my 9 year old hanging out with a few drunks).

Your parts have to be in stock!!!!!!!!!! I cant stand it when parts are not in stock at my LHS, I try to buy from them only but when they constantly run out of parts then you have no alternative but to buy it elsewhere. I have found that a lot of people will shop in your hobby shop as long as you maintain good stock. The price point needs to be on target with large online stores like amain or they will buy from them (I bought a radio from an online retailer because it was over 50.00 cheaper at amain).

If your track doesnt have good lighting then the black tubing kind of sucks and lighting can be difficult with a large space.

What kind of security cameras are you going to run? You have some people who like to take advantage of insurance with slip and fall claims. Having a good security system will help out when something like that happens.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:24 AM
Tech Champion

Ive not raced off road for years but hopefully can give you some ideas

What you could do is include an area to the left or right of the track with an opening that could be blocked off with some jumps/table tops/ whatever in it for the more experienced racers to use and make the rest of the track relatively easy to negotiate.

I think in general table top jumps my be a little easier to negotiate than more traditional jumps, so they might be more user friendly for the newcomer.

A seperate area for a drivers briefing, away from the track is also a good idea, as it gets people away from the track and they are more focused on what you are saying about the days racing before it starts.

Tables and chairs can be stored away, but custom made pit areas usually take up space permanently, so that may be something to consider too.

Also, keep it as simple as possible with the rules and classes or you will drive people away. No one is going to have an advantage on a track no one has raced at so don't try to go overkill with what equipment people can or can't race with.

A seperate designated smoking area may be a good idea (especially if you are planning on racing nitro!!!) that is away from the track. Parents may also think you are being considerate by doing this too...

Catering, +1 on forgetting it. Let people bring their own food/drink and if there is a fast food outlet close by you will be fine.

Also, see how much interest there is for running a one make class at the track - this can factor into any trackside LHS carrying the right parts for the racing.

Most of all, have FUN and do your best to attract the right crowd of racers that will give the club a good image and hopefully the club will grow from there.

Good advertising is also something to consider.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I apologize if I came across a little mean-spirited. Didn't really intend to do that but reading my own posts, it was a little aggressive.

AZ eh? Darn it, I was hoping you say southern california or something. But looks like you are really serious with this venture since you are asking really good questions (many that I couldn't even begin to answer ).

I know many of the guys that have tried to start a track have only asked what class of vehicles and how many of you were in that class and nothing beyond that. When they got to city ordinances, regulations, insurance, and etc., they were scared away!

You must really love this hobby since you're willing to dump a quarter million in times like these... I guess this is what I love about this hobby the most, even when the economy is going through a bad time, you can still have a good time in the RC world!!!

Much luck to you and perhaps next time I'm in AZ, your track will already be open!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=demon510;5417072]how many sqft are you predicting you are needing? looks like you can get a year lease anywhere from 7.00 - 11.00 per sqft per year. I would think you needed about 10k sqft at minimum.

I am thinking about 20k to 25k. The track will be nitro... straight usually about 175 to 225 ft.

You can always get companies to bring in vending machines and they usually split the profits with you depending on the amount of profit you wish to make (lower costs equal greater sales). Plus they provide the liability on the machines.

This is planned for.

Alcohol, forget it. Your insurance will skyrocket, not to mention some knuckle head getting drunk after leaving your facillity and then blaming you or your staff for serving them too much alcohol when you should have stopped. Plus if you want a family environment alcohol is never going to be popular with some parents (I know I wouldnt want my 9 year old hanging out with a few drunks).

No alchohol. Family atmosphere.

Your parts have to be in stock!!!!!!!!!! I cant stand it when parts are not in stock at my LHS.

I am planning on a shop w/ most major brand parts in stock (common breakage parts), Plus tires for the track and a few extra types for those who bash outside the track.

If your track doesnt have good lighting then the black tubing kind of sucks and lighting can be difficult with a large space.

Lighting is an issue for me too... I'm an "old fart" and the road has taken it's toll on my body, including my eyes. I am open to suggestion on type. I know florescent is kind of costly to install in sufficient abundance, and also costly to run. help me out here.

What kind of security cameras are you going to run?

this is one thing I haven't thought of. I was thinking of a disclaimer at the door for track area, and using camera security in the store. I'll have to think about how i'll do this one. Good tip!!

Thank you for the post..!!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tc3team
Ive not raced off road for years but hopefully can give you some ideas

What you could do is include an area to the left or right of the track with an opening that could be blocked off with some jumps/table tops/ whatever in it for the more experienced racers to use and make the rest of the track relatively easy to negotiate.

Is this idea for practice or just racing?? I like it, just please clarify.

I think in general table top jumps my be a little easier to negotiate than more traditional jumps, so they might be more user friendly for the newcomer.

My plan (generally) is to put a "large" traditional jump in front of 2 table top landings. One for stock/ slash, one for mod/ nitro.

A seperate area for a drivers briefing, away from the track is also a good idea, as it gets people away from the track and they are more focused on what you are saying about the days racing before it starts.

The track will be closed during driver meetings.. no distractions.

Tables and chairs can be stored away, but custom made pit areas usually take up space permanently, so that may be something to consider too.

plus and minus here... plus in it's easier to be mobile. Minus in that electric cords will be strewn across the floor causing a trip hazzard. Again, gotta watch insurance. Besides, If you were a local racer, and had the chance to rent a "pit garage" with a locking door so you wouldn't have to drag your stuff back and forth from home, would you rent? (about $15 per month)

Also, keep it as simple as possible with the rules and classes or you will drive people away.

This is where I need alot of input... My thought is "youth" class, "first step stock (no pros), and open stock, mod. This way, someone isn't thrown to the wolves just out of "novice" or Youth... but.. 3 wins in lower class and you move up. This gives everyone a chance to find the podium and shine.

A seperate designated smoking area may be a good idea (especially if you are
planning on racing nitro!!!)

I was thinking about this, and have to look into the laws about smoking in a public place. (I'm a smoker too) I wouldn't think that it would be a problem with the ventalation, but who knows.

Catering, +1 on forgetting it.

not even in the plan. vending.

Also, see how much interest there is for running a one make class at the track - this can factor into any trackside LHS carrying the right parts for the racing.

I like spec classes as well. drivers race, not motor wars. Slash class will be in the program (stock and mod)

Most of all, have FUN and do your best to attract the right crowd of racers that will give the club a good image and hopefully the club will grow from there.

We can only try, and hope. I've been talking to alot of people and I think the key to this is the "energy" of the program. If it's a hum drum attitude over the speakers, than nobody is entertained; and that's the name of the hobby... entertainment!

Good advertising is also something to consider.
I actually have about 5k in place for signage, adds, and a billboard if I can get one closeby. this is a big area for me. If nobody knows, nobody comes.

thank you for the post. and if you end up in the states, look me up!!
CHEERS!!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
I apologize if I came across a little mean-spirited. Didn't really intend to do that but reading my own posts, it was a little aggressive.

Much luck to you and perhaps next time I'm in AZ, your track will already be open!
Thank you, Tom; I'd enjoy your company. But... you still never gave an opinion about shortcuts on the track for electric. Got one?

(PS: apology accepted )
Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM
pmp
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chameleon1204
Thank you, Tom; I'd enjoy your company. But... you still never gave an opinion about shortcuts on the track for electric. Got one?

(PS: apology accepted )
make your drivers stand handicap accesable. I have a friend by me who loves rc but can not race. Our local track keeps saying oh ya we will make something for you. So far nothing wich is a shame considering he has spent upwards of 7k at the lhs who runs the track.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by pmp
make your drivers stand handicap accesable. I have a friend by me who loves rc but can not race. Our local track keeps saying oh ya we will make something for you. So far nothing wich is a shame considering he has spent upwards of 7k at the lhs who runs the track.
That is a shame. is that Plainfield NJ?

I do plan to use a ramp to the driver stand. It may be a little steep, but there will be someone to help, I'm sure. and if not, I'll do it myself.

Thanks for the post!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Thumbs up

So you have made it bye my "hometown" track, HP Hobies in Hutchinson Ks
Cool...
The track and Hobby shop are set up great there!

Another track that would be good for you to visit if you are ever in the area is Enid RC Raceway in Enid Ok. Excellent facility with 3 indoor tracks, offroad, oval, and an awesome onroad track! http://www.enidrcracing.com/

There are lots of good ideas for you here....
Good luck with your endeavor!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by thecman26
So you have made it bye my "hometown" track, HP Hobies in Hutchinson Ks
Cool...
The track and Hobby shop are set up great there!

Another track that would be good for you to visit if you are ever in the area is Enid RC Raceway in Enid Ok. Excellent facility with 3 indoor tracks, offroad, oval, and an awesome onroad track! http://www.enidrcracing.com/

There are lots of good ideas for you here....
Good luck with your endeavor!
Yes. I have run my buggy and truck (E). I like the surface alot as it's easy to change (being topsoil), and has a LOT of grip. Maybe you've seen me there? I drive a b4 (Fl. yellow w/ blue rockers and clear wing) and a t4 (black body big blue bumper RPM)? My semi is Black with Red skirts (condo) Freightliner (freightshaker). LOL

Thanks for the post and the lead... I'm heading toward OKC after delivery in Arkansas @0100 on Sunday. I'll see if it's close and check it out if able. Does it have enough parking for a semi>?

Thanks again.

Last edited by chameleon1204; 02-13-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 02-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Good lighting, and quality work areas. a local track has wood benches about 4 feet high, but startign to splinter and warp. indoors may not have that problem, but you never know.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chameleon1204
ok all, it looks like the general area will be Phoenix, AZ. If you are still interested.
Ouch. Why can't someone do this in JERSEY!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
Good lighting, and quality work areas. a local track has wood benches about 4 feet high, but startign to splinter and warp. indoors may not have that problem, but you never know.
These are planned for above. Thanks for the post.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
Ouch. Why can't someone do this in JERSEY!!!
Jersey??!! sorry, fellow RCer. The prices for land and taxes is very high. But, thanks for the post.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

I'm a current hobbyshop/track owner, have any particular questions?

I suggest your computer/timing/announcing station be right next to your charging tray of house transponders so your race director can immediately see who is taking what and who has not returned theirs ASAP. Racers in a hurry to leave after their race often take home your house transponders.

If you plan on holding large races, try to design your drivers stand to keep the race program flowing smooth by having the entrance on one side and an exit on the other (see crude MS Paint drawing). A drivers stand a few few away from the track and in the shape of a very slight "v" reduces blind spots and drivers views from other people leaning over.

Last edited by RCHR; 10-05-2010 at 04:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.