ROAR Elections for President coming soon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Elections for President coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

I must say I am a fan of David Larry. Nothing against other people running, as I do not know them personally. I just know the effort and love David has for our sport/hobby is second to none. I see how hard he works to make our Region 4 as good as possible and know he would do the same for the Roar body. I hope who ever wins makes change for the better, however my vote will also be for David Larry...........

Good luck David,

DJ Apolaro
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 AM
dbl
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mr. David Larry for ROAR President!!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dbl
Mr. David Larry for ROAR President!!
I second that
Old 09-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Mr Larry you got my vote.... Just show me the ballot
Old 10-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would like to voice my opinion on the Roar president. I can tell you that there are Onroad people running and ther is a person running that is a racer/person in the industry. What I mean by (Person in the industry) is. One that isn't biased on just one class in Radio Control cars. Meaning that he will look at all the classes in RC and do what is best for those classes and not cater to one or the other. So for all your OFFROAD and ONROAD Roar needs.
MY VOTE GOES TO STEVE POND Who will look at every class and not cater to one more than the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

What makes you think David Larry won't cater to all classes?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Mike Shing for President...........WHO!!!!! Mike Shing
Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gotmotor
Mike Shing for President...........WHO!!!!! Mike Shing
Matt, brilliant!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Post DAVID LARRY PRESIDENT!

David Larry has my vote!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyd
I would like to voice my opinion on the Roar president. I can tell you that there are Onroad people running and ther is a person running that is a racer/person in the industry. What I mean by (Person in the industry) is. One that isn't biased on just one class in Radio Control cars. Meaning that he will look at all the classes in RC and do what is best for those classes and not cater to one or the other. So for all your OFFROAD and ONROAD Roar needs.
MY VOTE GOES TO STEVE POND Who will look at every class and not cater to one more than the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you clarify that Mr. Pond is eligible? Doesn't he have to serve ROAR for a minimum of one year. I don't remember seeing his name listed on the ROAR website in a serving position till just this month.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hello David, and thanks for asking. I've been a ROAR member since 1986, and I've served as a member of the fuel-off-road committee for a year, and for this past year I've served on the restructured committees as the Fuel Committee Chairperson. So, I'm a year past the minimum requirement to run for elected office. It's good, however, to know that you're watching. ;o)

I've been racing RC for nearly 35 years. I've raced in just about every major category, and I've been a lifetime fan of the hobby and my ashes will probably be buried in the empty box of the last kit that I build. I've seen the RC market from every angle as long time consumer and enthusiast, as an Executive Editor of Car Action and RC Nitro Magazines for 20 years (I left in 2005), I've worked for Tekin Electronics (back in the Kevin Ortin days) and most recently for Kyosho. I also built and moderated the largest RC related forum in the world (at the time anyway). I've run many, many categories, and I enjoy it all mostly, but my biggest passion is for the 1/8 fuel classes. Although in recent years I haven't been racing as much as I used to, I've also pitted for Ryan Lutz in fuel off-road and Joel Johnson in some of his fuel on-road endeavors.

I've been in RC my whole adult life. I helped to start two of the biggest magazines in the world to promote RC cars, I've worked for two really great manufactures. I'm of the opinion that everyone, especially those of us that say we love RC racing and have enjoyed it for so many years, should participate in the process. It gives you a better understanding of how the process works, and of course it's giving something back to the hobby that's been a source of enjoyment for so many years.

I consider myself VERY fortunate to have been able to experience RC from so many different angles. As Editor of the aforementioned magazines, I've had long, friendly relationships with many of the pioneers of RC, which has really helped to give me perspective well beyond my years. These are the people that not only started the RC hobby, but many of whom founded ROAR and were also captains of the slot car industry prior to RC. (wait, am I running for AARP President? ;o) Anyway, these people were my mentors as I grew in the hobby market and they've given me great perspective and insight. There are too many to mention and most of them are too humble to accept credit for their accomplishments, but I owe them, and this hobby, a LOT.

I realize that I'm signing up for a difficult task. There are a lot of members and affiliates that are passionate about their hobby/sport/business, and perhaps their desires aren't always consistent. If can apply what I've learned and combine it with the passion of everyone who makes the effort to have their voice heard with the intent of making ROAR better, I think the collective effort will be greater than the sum of its parts (that's a metaphor from some guy that's a lot smarter than me).

I'm sorry to everyone for tossing my hat in the ring at this late stage, but it wasn't planned this way. One of the respected members of the Committee and the Technical Director, JD Crow, was going to run, and I was happy to support him, but we've been unable to reach him perhaps due to a personal challenge in his life. I certainly hope to hear from him soon to know that he's doing OK, but in the interim, it appears that he's had to shelve his desire to run for President. So, I'm picking up the torch for him and others that would like to make ROAR a much more inclusive, growing organization.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, and in the interim, I'm putting a list of priorities together that I hope to have posted today.

Last edited by SteveP; 10-06-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Steve Pond has my vote.

Also you guys know that this thread is only on the nitro side have not seen it anywhere else. Might be a good idea to start one on the electric side also. Just to let you know.

Hope J.D. is doing ok.

Thanks Drew
Old 10-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis
Steve Pond has my vote.

Also you guys know that this thread is only on the nitro side have not seen it anywhere else. Might be a good idea to start one on the electric side also. Just to let you know.

Hope J.D. is doing ok.

Thanks Drew
There's also one in the racing forum.

I just want to say one thing for the future president to keep in mind. I think that as racers we just want to show up at a track and be able to race without having to worry too much about rules, we are simple people. If the rules are constantly changing is hard to keep track of what we need. I feel, at least on the on-road gas side, that the rules are good as they are. Maybe get rid of qual points for nationals. Whoever becomes president next, please dont mess with the rules too much, just try to make racing bigger, try to bring new blood into racing. I read somewhere that the percentage of people that race to people that just bash is about 10 to 1. Lets make those figures closer.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nitrodude

I just want to say one thing for the future president to keep in mind. I think that as racers we just want to show up at a track and be able to race without having to worry too much about rules, we are simple people. If the rules are constantly changing is hard to keep track of what we need. I feel, at least on the on-road gas side, that the rules are good as they are. Maybe get rid of qual points for nationals. Whoever becomes president next, please dont mess with the rules too much, just try to make racing bigger, try to bring new blood into racing. I read somewhere that the percentage of people that race to people that just bash is about 10 to 1. Lets make those figures closer.
Fuel onroad does not use qual points anymore... haven't for a few years now.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nitrodude

Any time you have a competition, you need rules. ROAR has for some time been trying to come up with rules that make it fair to everyone and make some sense. The problem has been if you show the rules to one group of racers they will love them and race by them. Then you show them to another group and they're like what the heck, who thinks this stuff up? After which you of course have your 50+ treads here on RC Tech saying how stupid the rules are and how much ROAR sucks.

Personally I don't think the president should be involved with rules making. There should be a separate committee working on that. The president's job should be, like you said, to try and grow the hobby.

Oh, and the basher to racer index is more like 100 to 1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.