Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
V-ONE S Thread >

V-ONE S Thread

V-ONE S Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Sp Racer
I really wish Kyosho would solve that 2 speed problem....i reckon its bul$hit
I thinl nitro-dave had some delrin gears and the second actually had a metal inner surface......is that right Dave?

gt

Old 04-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

correct, i do. They are GPM derlin gears (white plastic) and the cam housing is made of steel.

Now, problem.........

I tried them out at the canberra track on the weekend and for some reason i kept stripping the gears are few laps, not just grinding the teeth, but literally chopping then to bits! I thought it was a mesh problem but a friend who also has the gears did the same thing, and it was only the second gear. also, the steel cam housing still wears out like the original gears but not as quick.

With the standard black gears from kyosho, i got about 6 runs (5mins each) before the gear changes missed and started getting inconsistent, but with the GPM gears, i got about 10 runs with no problems until the gear stripped.

I find no problem with the first gear but the second gear is the one giving me dramas. I still use the GPM for the 1st but i use the modded kyosho for the second.

I have a feeling that the gears arent quite the same size and dont mesh up exact which is the main cause. Another reason may be because of over powering the car with big motors - i have an OS12CV-RX 1hp in it which may be another cause also but being a derlin gear, it should take the power as it is a stronger material.

If anyone is interested in trying out the gears let me know as i will have a few next week. Some people that have them have had no problems and they swear by them, i guess im just unlucky.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

DO 1/8th have heaps larger pipes and manifold's cso I wanna order the heavy duty J coupler by eureka but it says its for 1/8th
Old 04-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

yes it is bigger, i belive they also make one for 1/1th also, same as the GS silicone coupler.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Tech Adept

Im finding that I only ever use brakes if I really have to, as in if some1 spins or slides in front of me and not really for corner's. How much benefit speed wise is a front one way. and is it worth it even tho im still only using the gs15r?
Old 04-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Tech Adept

NO BRAKES!!!! brakes are the best invention in the history of racing! i use my brakes all the time for corners and stuff
Old 04-29-2003, 12:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by nitro dave
correct, i do. They are GPM derlin gears (white plastic) and the cam housing is made of steel.

Now, problem.........

I tried them out at the canberra track on the weekend and for some reason i kept stripping the gears are few laps, not just grinding the teeth, but literally chopping then to bits! I thought it was a mesh problem but a friend who also has the gears did the same thing, and it was only the second gear. also, the steel cam housing still wears out like the original gears but not as quick.

With the standard black gears from kyosho, i got about 6 runs (5mins each) before the gear changes missed and started getting inconsistent, but with the GPM gears, i got about 10 runs with no problems until the gear stripped.

I find no problem with the first gear but the second gear is the one giving me dramas. I still use the GPM for the 1st but i use the modded kyosho for the second.

I have a feeling that the gears arent quite the same size and dont mesh up exact which is the main cause. Another reason may be because of over powering the car with big motors - i have an OS12CV-RX 1hp in it which may be another cause also but being a derlin gear, it should take the power as it is a stronger material.

If anyone is interested in trying out the gears let me know as i will have a few next week. Some people that have them have had no problems and they swear by them, i guess im just unlucky.

Man thats bizarre, I got 6 months plus out of my last 2nd gear and it only let go after a hard side impact knocked the engine out of alignment! and thats with a 1 hp donk too!
They may well be the same pitch but have a different tooth profile!
Silly question....are you using the fd49 flywheel?

gt

Old 04-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by phildee
Im finding that I only ever use brakes if I really have to, as in if some1 spins or slides in front of me and not really for corner's. How much benefit speed wise is a front one way. and is it worth it even tho im still only using the gs15r?

IMHO leave the one-way untill your used to the car and can go 5 laps without hitting barriers etc .......(guess that means i gotta take mine out )

gt

Old 04-29-2003, 12:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by ChrisO
NO BRAKES!!!! brakes are the best invention in the history of racing! i use my brakes all the time for corners and stuff
This is all about setup really, i find a quick twitch of the steering wheel bleeds off enough speed to set me up for most corners. I have tried to get my head around the brake thing and i do use them but not half as much as others I know (I usually use thier car for brakes!)
gt

Old 04-29-2003, 01:08 AM
Tech Master

Default GPM gears????

Where did u obtain these metal gears... im very interested.....
Old 04-29-2003, 02:47 AM
Tech Addict

Brakes? U use no brakes? what the hell???
Brakes are the best part on the car really when racing, apart from a good setup.
the brakes allow u to go as quick as u can until the split second b4 a corner, and then u jump on the brakes and dive in, with maximum traction on the front wheels.
Other wise u can loose valuable time when coasting into corners.
But hey, both times i've raced i had to brake at the end of main straight for a wierd sweeper, and for the 2 180degree corners.

oh well,
i luv my brakes, they pull me out of a slide really well, i can b crossed everywhere, jump on them and the back end is ripped straight back into line, helps when way off course mid corner.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:58 AM
Tech Addict

So.... when are you and your brakes tying the knot !
Old 04-29-2003, 03:01 AM
Tech Adept

Well I was talking to the fastest guy at our club and he uses no brakes either. in fact he has his car setup so theres virtually no brakes there either
Old 04-29-2003, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You find that most of the faster guys drive with out using brakes the only time they use them is entering realy tight corners
and on very high tracktion tracks cause in these conditions the car will just tracktion roll as I saw at the NSW state titles.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:36 AM
Tech Addict

Well seeing how alot of the fast guys at my track do use brakes, u r generalising too much.
Ask chris and brett, they both use brakes and they r running in Pro right up the top. The guys who have been racing for years at our club even say both of them are extremely fast, and very consistent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.