Wiki Posts
Search

Break in stand

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Break in stand

Has anyone made their own nitro engine break in stand? If so, can you send pictures and part numbers you used?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 12-04-2007, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i had one made from a xray used chassis with the stock engine mounts... still have to use the flywheel and can't mount a prop on it as buggy engines normally uses SG crankshalf...

the best is to get the hudy break in bench if budget is not an issue... if not, then go for the Nanda (china make) ones... they all work fine.. just that i prefer the hudy quality...

2 cents...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

the Nanda bench is actually a better purchase then the Hudy.....the Hudy has terrible clearance and wont allow you to use a air filter..hell even adjusting the HSN is a chore due to the close tolerance of the prop to the front of the engine..... The nanda bench on the other hand is better thought out and has alot more clearance on the front of the engine, allowing you to use a air filter as well as easily adjusting the HSN...the machining on both bench's is surprisingly similar
Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Maikaitan
i had one made from a xray used chassis with the stock engine mounts... still have to use the flywheel and can't mount a prop on it as buggy engines normally uses SG crankshalf...

the best is to get the hudy break in bench if budget is not an issue... if not, then go for the Nanda (china make) ones... they all work fine.. just that i prefer the hudy quality...

2 cents...

how can you breakin a motor without the load provided by the prop ???? just a flywheel isnt going to work nearly the same...... Beleive it or not but that prop provides alot of load, more load then the motor will actualy see inside a 1/8 vehice....... That prop will actually hold back a 2 HP Picco 28 from going over 30K, i was shocked by how much load that little prop provides.......
Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm a little confused here... a break in stand, using a prop on a buggy motor? Interesting! I've never heard of such a thing...

We always break them in on the car... idle through about 5 tanks, then start blipping it around on the ground, for a couple more tanks. The object is to heat cycle it.

Can someone give more info on these other options?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ok...me and maximo have broken in...Countless motor's on this bench....we originally bought the Rd Logics bench cuz the Hudy was Rediculously priced and hard to get at the time......the Only peices we eneded up using were the prop shaft....cuz the rest of the bench is Junk...the mounts have Slide in nuts on the bottom and the plate was kinda thin...and the way they want u to mount it to the table...Urgg...no throttle response on/off really...urr...how the exhaust pointed...Urr....didnt fit what we wanted to do....SO....like i said all we used was the prop and the prop flywheel and prop nut..and with some washers on the crank first...we were able to rig up a Small 1/10 onroad filter and neck....the clearances are Retardedly close without shimming and a THIN neck....it took some tinkering to get it proper....then i took some CRT pro motor mounts....Bolted em to a Alluminum plate....cut a hole out for the motor to sink into...lined it alll up....Rigged a throttle arm with a throttle return Spring whch was another thing the RD and Hudy Lack...cuz i dont care what ANY tells me...a motor isnt ment to sit a 1 rpm band...its gotta go up and down allll the time..Starting the motor is CAKE with a Prop shaft starter....it Turns over even the Most Stubborn of STS......and like max said..this prop does put ALOT more load on the motor then just drivin it around in Figure 8's....the Air the prop mooves is Incredible for only being like 3-4" in diameter......and we to heat cycle the motor...but we run full tanks at a time ushally and Not Shut it down the second it gets above 200+..that takes Forever and imo is a waste of time.....weve come up with out own way of doing it...and it works.....ok enuff ranting...some pics i guess.....urrr...the only thing i have is from when i built it....o well..show's what it is at least.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...eakInStand.flv

ill take some better pics of the "Full setup" this week when i break in a new mill...tomorrow or the next day....RIGHT MAX ?>
Old 12-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i would like to get a break in stand...i break in lots of engines for guys, and i have lots of engines myself, so a stand would help alot in the great white north...
Old 12-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Tech Champion

I am cutting the ports on your Picco right now bro !!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Maximo
I am cutting the ports on your Picco right now bro !!!!

yee haa...thats what im talkin aboot.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
I'm a little confused here... a break in stand, using a prop on a buggy motor? Interesting! I've never heard of such a thing...

We always break them in on the car... idle through about 5 tanks, then start blipping it around on the ground, for a couple more tanks. The object is to heat cycle it.

Can someone give more info on these other options?
Break-in stands are nothing new. Its just that the original Hudy was was too expensive for most people. Now there is the Nanda and RD Logics stands. The prop provides air to cool the engine and also load. I am now looking at getting one, because I have too many engines now to break-in and installing them in cars is a PITA! I would only recommend about 5 tanks of fuel, then drop it in the car from there on. What is nice is that its all under a control environment. You can block the head from the air if it gets to cool and your not worried about having your car slip off a stand and start rolling on the ground. You generally start them with a drill on the nose of the prop.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I own Hudy's break in stand...you get what you pay for with Hudy. 'nuff said.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Lord

couple things.....1 there would be no way to start it with a drill....its got a Nose cone...like a plane...so in reality..u need a nose cone starter...and second of all u NEED i repeat NEEEEED to wrap the head in tinfoil...a sock wont cut it..cuz it lets the air right through....cuz the air off the prop will not allow it to acheive running temps...so u need to cut the air flow off the head somehow.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Hudy comes with a drill adapter and rubber piece to fit inside it that are supposed to allow you to use a drill to start it with. I wonder if a drill would have enough RPMs and Torque to start these new engines with tons of pinch.

Anyone have any experience with that? Otherwise you would have to spend $50 more dollars and get one of those airplane nose cone starters.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Tech Lord

a big raunchy 18V might have enuff...but i kno for a fact that a Plane nose cone starter will start ANYTHING....and i checked into the hudy and they sure do have a drill attachment...that must be new..cuz it wasnt around when we were lookin at em...so id be weery of buying 1 and getting Old stock with No way to start it except to go and buy a prop starter.....i see the dilema...but common...were Rc guys...u cant tell me u dont know a plane guy who would gladly lend u a starter for the day...thats how i did it till i caved and bought my own.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I haven't checked, but I remember some stands didn't come with a tank. I believe you also need an onroad header and a pipe. Its been awhile since I looked for one and the only time I was really looking for one was back in the mid nineties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.