Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Whilst I would prefer a car without a one way, then buy the one way later, I may have to do the opposite, depending on what is available in Europe. It would be nice to have a choice.

As far as pricing is concerned, I sell Schumacher, Yokomo, Losi, Associated, and Corally touring cars. The three most expensive cars that are fully kitted out are the Yoke MR4 SP (lm225), FTTC3 (lm240), and Losi Graphite XXXS (lm250). The Schumacher Mission in CF sells for lm170, whilst the Corally C4.1, which is actually the most complete and sophisticated one of the lot also sells for lm170. So theoretically the Corally is by far the best value for money car out here.

Sales don't show that at all however, with Yokes and TC3s outselling everything else. So is it really price that matters?

The new SD car needs to be somewhere in between 170 and 225 if they really want it to sell. There's no reason why it shouldn't be. But we will have to wait and see.

Incidentally the currency is Maltese liri, but you can work that out on whatever you like.

Finally I agree with comments on the battery strap. it is the only let down in my opinion. Why don't they keep the Sp version.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:48 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

First off, thanks to miniman-Thats the largest clearest pic of the car I've seen. Thanks for finding that and posting it.

Futureal-Your right about it bringing people back to Yokomo. I just reserved mine and can't wait for it to come out.

-Now-

As for the price. Its not so much that the price is "important", because we all know that if we see something we like then we'll buy it, but comparisons can and will be made. If your competition is winning national or world's races with their $260 kit and your selling your kit for $300+, chances are that more than a few people(who don't understand the dynamics of which companies do or don't have 'real' factory teams to compete at those races) are going to look at that and say "well why is your kit so much higher than this kit thats winning so much?" And the fact is, its a fair question to ask. Why should one top quality kit cost $350, while another cost $260 and you can win with both?

As for the one-way I'm kinda on the fence here. I've always prefered the idea of including a diff and making the one-way optional. Simply because, for the average driver, a diff will work in many more situations than a one-way will. At the same time, I've discovered (through testing with my new KX-1) that once you get used to it, you can go faster with a one-way, even on tracks that usually aren't one-way friendly. SO that means one of two things, either its better to include a one-way because people will learn to use it and be faster......or......I'm a better than average driver!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

Latest news from Yokomousa:

Full Retail: $528.00

Street price: Around $320

Optional parts:

SD-640T Heavy Duty Front One-way
SD-640TM Heavy Duty Front One-way maintenance kit
SD-641T Heavy Duty front One-way Housing
SD-643 Ring Gear/ Drive Gear set
SD-644G Main Drive Shaft, Graphite
SD-1480P Super Precision Bearings 14X8mm(2pcs)
SD-1050P Super Precision Bearings 10X5mm(2pcs)

I may be able to get my hands on some, let me know if you're interested. My LHS has a few of them on back order already.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by racingdc9
Latest news from Yokomousa:

Full Retail: $528.00

Street price: Around $320

Optional parts:

SD-640T Heavy Duty Front One-way
SD-640TM Heavy Duty Front One-way maintenance kit
SD-641T Heavy Duty front One-way Housing
SD-643 Ring Gear/ Drive Gear set
SD-644G Main Drive Shaft, Graphite
SD-1480P Super Precision Bearings 14X8mm(2pcs)
SD-1050P Super Precision Bearings 10X5mm(2pcs)

I may be able to get my hands on some, let me know if you're interested. My LHS has a few of them on back order already.
Thanks for the part no. for the option parts.. Now I know what to get....and I think every LHS has them on backorder too..
Old 03-11-2003, 08:51 AM
Regional Moderator

$320- Ouch!

Might have to sell a kidney to raise that much!
Old 03-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Here's some additional info: http://www.yokomousa.com/newproducts...r_4tc_sd1.html
Old 03-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

Default PRICES

Everybody allways complains about the price of one car over another, when in reality they all end up costing you the same amount of money. A factory team tc3 cost around 280 dollars, and comes with plastic diff halfs tha seem to burn up or break,(just my own experience with the car). so you end up buying an aluminum outdrive kit about 30 dollars for front and back. The X-ray is 328 dollars and then everybody ran out and bought the c-hub conversion for another 150 dollars, not even counting all the hop up parts they put out. Losi's new xxx's graphite plus. pretty good for the money at 250 dollars, however once you put all of the must have mat francis stuff on 300+. Bottom line is all the cars are expensive so why cry over 20-40 bucks difference in the initial price if it comes with all the good stuff. The new yokomo looks like it is well equiped for 320 dollars.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:58 AM
R/C Tech Founder

As much as I don't want to spend money on another car kit right now, I don't know if I can resist this one. The car just looks too good.

Well done, Yokomo.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Regional Moderator

mrodney: Nobodys crying about anything! The price is as much of a feature of a new kit as anything else. So it warrents discussion, just like any other feature just like the one-way. And just so you know, not everyone goes out and buys every hopup for a car. I see lots of XXX-S's out there, that are very nice and don't have a single Matt Francis part on it! Hell, most of their team drivers don't even use the Matt Francis stuff, so how can you consider that neccesary?

If you don't like seeing people talk about the price of kits, heres a thought, don't read it.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Regional Moderator

futureal: I agree, I hadn't planned on getting another car anytime soon, but this one is too nice to pass up.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

Pretty much all you will need is a front oneway, unless you prefer a locked front diff then you can try and convert your extra diff. Other then that I don't see any other expenses.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

hey guy dont get bent out of shape. I was just commenting from some of the earlier posts about the prices of some of the competitor cars and was simply stating that in the end which ever car you chose they are all expensive. Also when I said all of the must have matt francis stuff, I didn't mean that you had to have them to go fast, I just mean that most people buy the cool looking hop ups because they look cool. And as for not reading the post, well thats what I thought the boards were for, reading them and simply discussing opinions.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Regional Moderator

Well, discussing prices is all part of discussing anything else. So why does it have to be "crying"?

From my experience, the fast guys can win with any top level car. Which mean that if a good driver picks up a $260-$270 XXX-S GP or FT TC3, then they'll be just as fast as they would be with $320-$350 Yokomo, Corally, or X-Ray. So if thats the case, then theres really no reason some companies should charge so much for thier cars.

Thats all I was saying. That with the competition pricing so low, its risky to charge so much for a car.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Maybe cost of production is a little more for certain cars. Plus the prices are sometimes dependent on the dealer whose selling it. I've seen some places sell the Xray Evo2 for $300, etc.... Well that's a whole new can of worms that I would leave shut for now.

Me too, I wasn't going to buy another car, but with Yokomo's history I can't help but try one.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Regional Moderator

In any case I guess its pointless to worry about it until we actually see someone advertise a price for the car. Until then we're still just guessing.

Has there been a solid US release date set yet? All I've seen so far is April 2003.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.