Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro or electric??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Nitro or electric??

i am looking for people's input on the pros and cons. i cant decide what i want. i like the run time of nitro. I am an auto mechanic so i like all the moving parts. second one is i dont know if i like buggies, truggies, or trucks. there isn't a big track here so racing is not top of the list for me. mostly i want something all terrain to take outside and play with. any idea's/ tips??
Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

For a basher I would stick to a Monster Truck, or if there might be a chance you're going to race...a Truggy that way you can do both pretty well. As far as Nitro versus Electric a lot of it is preference. Electric is more expensive up front, but cheaper in the long haul. Nitro is cheaper up front, but ongoing fuel costs drive up the cost as time goes on. Runtimes will be better with Nitro...just keep filling the tank and you're good to go. Electrics you can rotate 2-3 packs and keep running all day though depending on how hard ya run and what not.

Electric is INSTANT power and it can be hard to control with a really fast 1/8th scale setup, but if you can tame it....it's wonderful. Nitro needs to rev up to make power so it's not as instant, but I'd say it's pretty close in the end. Personally I race one of each and I prefer the Nitro myself. I used to race motocross though and the sounds and smells are really what rope me into Nitro. The tuning sucks at first, but you get the hang of it rather quickly, especially if your a mechanic who understands what "rich" and "lean" really mean.

It's really all preference. They are both fun as heck to drive in the end.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I too used to ride a CR 250 LOVE the smell sound blah blah LOL. i like cheaper in the beginning and i am fairly sure i can keep a stock of nitro due to kids/ work. only being able to run on weekends mostly. i have watched countless video's of tuning, rebuilding, ect, on like youtube and hobby sites.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

That's all i got out of the hard core nitro guy's??
Old 05-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Cowman24
That's all i got out of the hard core nitro guy's??

and the pit stops if your racing is cool, but yea the smoke and sound smell
and nitro engines arent slow they, have just enough torque depending on the clutch setup pipe clutch bell.

i dont like the rocket torque of a, high power motor on a electric it is hard to drive . i think the nitro is easier to drive espailly for a beginner at 1/8
Old 05-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

"cheaper" also depends on what equipment you choose ;-) If you go for a fully decked out race roller with top of the line support equipment, then Nitro can get pricey as heck, but you could also go buy a Team Losi 2.0 Truggy RTR and get everything you need in a single box...minus fuel and a battery charger for like $700 or so.

Here is what I run, and what I paid for it:

Nitro Truggy
--------------
XRay XT8 Nitro Truggy - $175 for the roller ($600 kit retail when it was new)
Alpha Plus S852 engine with Alpha Pipe - $280 for the combo new
JR 9100T Steering Servo - $80 used
JR 9100S Throttle Servo - $40 used, but JR replaced it with a brand new one
Spektrum DX3R Radio - $275 new
LIPO RX Packs - (2) at $18 each
OFNA Truggy Starter Box with LIPO - $65

$951 total

Electric Buggy
----------------
XRay 808 09 Spec Buggy Roller - $400 (got 2 spare parts Buggies with it)
RC-Monster Motor Mount - $55
Tekno Battery Tray + Strap Kit - $50 (or so)
Castle MMM v3 ESC/Motor Combo - $300
JR Z650M Steering Servo - $50 or so
Spektrum DX3R Radio - $275 new (same as above, but gotta include it for comparison)
Zippy LIPO Packs - (2) 30C 5000mah 4 cell LIPOs - $45 each
Slash Radio Box - $20

$1195 total

So there is MY comparison....not much different really since I went with a new engine/pip combo on the Truggy this season. Neither price include tires/wheels either....and Buggies are generally a tad cheaper than Truggies in the end.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I like both.

Nitro for the unpredictability, smell and needed tuning. also easier on the drivetrain.

Electric is awesome just for the shear power available at your finger tip. Less maintenance but harder on drivetrain parts if you can figure that out.

As for cost, in the long run I think they are about the same with nitro coming out a little more expensive in the end.

As for the race or bash, a truggy will do both effortlessly.

I completely agree with the above price guidelines as mine fall right in there with those but I drive Mugen.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Thats even a question?! NITRO!!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

ROFL
Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have run nothing but nitro, and my first buggy was a mbx6 (new). I have also bought another one as a backup and i love them. At first the cost just kept coming and coming. I think my whole setup (no spares or tools) was about 2,000. I am pretty sure i have much more invested with setup tools and spares a few engines/pipes etc. Everyone says electric is more expensive at first, but in the long run i don't see how it's really even close. Just engines, engine/clutch maintenance get pretty pricey. then throw in fuel, starting equipment, glo plugs, oils etc.

i have invested everything in nitro so i don't even think about electric. But nitro seems like much more fun anyway.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

There are other ways to look at nitro vs electric

Nitro:
-you need a pitman if you plan to race
-can't run it everywhere thanks to noise
-more maintenance (clutch, glowplugs, air filter, engine tuning)
+runtime
+generaly more people at races

Electric:
+quiet
+more power (however needs practice to control it)
-racing runtime ~15minutes unless using very heavy batteries
-still not as popular as nitro
Old 05-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

people that enjoy wrenching like me would also like nitro better for the sheer mechanics of it. Nothing real mechanical about pluging in a battery. No real skill to tune your car. Seems like cheating to me. I mean, doesn't every electric car run just about the same? Really, except for the speed control and how big the batter/motor is, there is really nothing else. Boring.

when my engine is screaming, it's because i got it too. Not because of the big battery i put in it.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

They are completly different. I have been racing a nitro truggy for over 2 yrs now and I am ok at it. I just put together an E truggy exact same brand and it was like learning all over again. I like both. If I had to choose I would go nitro.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by dreaux
i have run nothing but nitro, and my first buggy was a mbx6 (new). I have also bought another one as a backup and i love them. At first the cost just kept coming and coming. I think my whole setup (no spares or tools) was about 2,000. I am pretty sure i have much more invested with setup tools and spares a few engines/pipes etc. Everyone says electric is more expensive at first, but in the long run i don't see how it's really even close. Just engines, engine/clutch maintenance get pretty pricey. then throw in fuel, starting equipment, glo plugs, oils etc.

i have invested everything in nitro so i don't even think about electric. But nitro seems like much more fun anyway.

$2000 really ? do you club race or only do big races ?

i say i spent about $950 all together on my truggy, glow plugs should last about 1 gallon at least as, for the clutch if you get the long lasting ones. they should last about 1 gallon, also depending on your clutch spring setup.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc5 man
$2000 really ? do you club race or only do big races ?

i say i spent about $950 all together on my truggy, glow plugs should last about 1 gallon at least as, for the clutch if you get the long lasting ones. they should last about 1 gallon, also depending on your clutch spring setup.
yeah your right. I use max life shoes too. an mugen bells and springs. But they still need maintenance, and along with engine bearings and con rods it can add up.

I also only do club races. matter of fact, i will be in my 3rd race this weekend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.