Like Tree223Likes

REDS Engines (Mario Rossi)

Old 01-21-2018, 08:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mlax
I'd be interested to hear if the Lunga is more buggy or truggy oriented
I ran a R5T last season in buggy. Tons of torque. Too much for my track and driving skills most of the time. Going to sell it and get a W7 this season. Looking for bit smoother of a power curve. That new motor will be a hand full to handle in a buggy. Unless you’re Mayfield I guess. It seems by the numbers that it would be best in truggies. Or I could see it being good on a large track where you can let it rip on every corner. The dyno chart I saw on it was insane.
jkas10 likes this.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AdvanceRob
I ran a R5T last season in buggy. Tons of torque. Too much for my track and driving skills most of the time. Going to sell it and get a W7 this season. Looking for bit smoother of a power curve. That new motor will be a hand full to handle in a buggy. Unless you’re Mayfield I guess. It seems by the numbers that it would be best in truggies. Or I could see it being good on a large track where you can let it rip on every corner. The dyno chart I saw on it was insane.
I think an engine with a lot of torque is good, I think torque is never too much.
When this is so we have to adapt our driving style.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdvanceRob
Agreed - I can see that there will be traction levels where the WRX will be perfect in a buggy. However, having run one in buggy a couple weeks ago, we noticed that when the track was moist and had tons of traction on practice day and seeding rounds, the WRX was an advantage. We were at the CRCRC race at the Ohio RC factory. It's a decent sized indoor track. That track has tons of traction, even when it's cold outside. The track temp was @46F. As the weekend went on, my son was turning down the throttle EPA to keep the car tamed down as the track dried out and started to glaze. So, after a mediocre 2 rounds of qualifying, we switched back to the tried-and-true WR7 and ran two conservative rounds to ensure a good qual-points score. He got a 3 in both of those rounds without having to limit the throttle EPA, or push really hard trying to TQ the rounds. The WR7 is perfect for a buggy in nearly every condition.

So, on that track, on that day, the WRX made the buggy a bit less consistent and hurt the qualifying times. However, I am sure that there will be people who will love it in a buggy when the conditions are right.

I was very impressed with how well it ran and the brute force power that it produced. The buggy was a rocket when the traction was high. Can't wait to run it in the truggy.

Last edited by jkas10; 03-12-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to me r5r

Hello, I just bought my first REDS engine r5r combo, is the hard to reach glow plug normal on these engines? Its seams as there isnt any room for glow ignitor to clip onto glowplug. Sorry for the weird question this is my first REDS, Ive never had this issue with any other nitro engine.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CFelix
Hello, I just bought my first REDS engine r5r combo, is the hard to reach glow plug normal on these engines? Its seams as there isnt any room for glow ignitor to clip onto glowplug. Sorry for the weird question this is my first REDS, Ive never had this issue with any other nitro engine.
I
Old 02-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Hello guys, looking to buy a new nitro motor soon. What can anyone tell me about the r5 racer version 4.0? Just curious on power delivery, mileage, etc. Thx.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpz_67
Hello guys, looking to buy a new nitro motor soon. What can anyone tell me about the r5 racer version 4.0? Just curious on power delivery, mileage, etc. Thx.
I run Short header and 2143 pipe with 6.5 v2 venturi. Very linear power band, balanced bottom, mid and top end. Enough power to run slightly over geared with this setup, buggy or truggy.
If on a large/fast track, run it with a 7mm v2 venturi, top end will scream. Expect 8-9 mins runtime average. Excellent mid price engine
Old 02-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default R5R Racer v4.0

Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting the R5R Racer v4.0 combo with the 2104 pipe for my RC8B3.1 buggy.
Will this be a good match - I am on a tight budget.
Also, apart from the REDS T5C plug - what alternate plug do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-27-2018, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

2104 will work well
OS plugs are also a direct fit
Old 03-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So I just blew my R5r v4 are there replacement piston sleeves Ross’s available?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Could someone explain the differences between these reds engines.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Soyer
So I just blew my R5r v4 are there replacement piston sleeves Ross’s available?
Soyer, yes, you can get a P/S/R replacement kit. However, for the money, you may just want to get a new engine, especially if you plan to replace the bearings. PISTON/SLEEVE/ROD (p/s/r) - R5T/R5T/R5TTE Team Edition - Service Parts - R5R - Engines - NITRO OFF-ROAD
underway likes this.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by carpet Carlos
Could someone explain the differences between these reds engines.
The WR7 is the best buggy engine ever made by REDS. It is a 7 port engine with all the good parts: DLC crank, DLC backplate, ceramic bearings, lightweight cooling head, etc. It has great bottom end, but still controllable power delivery, paired with blistering top end speed. I don't have words to describe how awesome this engine is. With the quality materials, diamond coated parts, and a proper break-in, these engines will run forever. We are running the same WR7 since Pyscho Nitro Blast last year. That includes multi-day events like PNB, AMS, Nats Warmup, Nationals, CRCRC, plus every other race that we attended in between. It is still very strong and the wear of the rod and crank pin are still within tolerances. Same bearings as well.

For truggy, the WR5 is the 5 port version of the WR7. It has all of the upgraded components, but produces more instant power delivery due to its 5 port configuration. It replaced the tried and true R5T Team Edition, which had been the primary truggy engine of REDS' truggy racers. The "HE" version will provide increased fuel mileage but at the expense of some power. The R5R discussed above is also an excellent choice for the budget-minded truggy racer.

The R5R is a great value for the performance provided. It is a 5 port engine with some, but not all of the high cost upgrades of its more expensive brothers. It has a bit more raw bottom end grunt than the WR7, and will run with most any high-dollar engine down the straightaway. It is a very popular engine due to it's great performance to $$ ratio. It is good in buggy and truggy.

The newest engine is the WRX. It is the most powerful engine that REDS has ever sold. It is for the racer that wants the feel of instant and huge power delivery (Think Electric Truggy). It will work in a buggy if you have tons of traction and/or are a great driver with excellent throttle control and car control. Otherwise, I personally would recommend this engine for truggy. It has insane power! It has all the same Diamond coated parts (DLC), ceramic bearings, and horizontal carburetor as the WR7 and WR5. It also has a new, and even lower CG designed cooling head.

All of these engines are winners! You simply need to pick the one that fits your budget and your needs. Feel free to message me if you have any additional questions.
tobamiester and jaron_cc like this.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like to see what a modded WRX would do up against a 28-8 or something.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

I have a few spare glowplugs (P5TH Picco) from my last engines. Are they any good in REDS engines? Same as T5C?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.