Wiki Posts
Search

Cyclone Drift Upgrades/Hop Ups

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Cyclone Drift Upgrades/Hop Ups

I just got myself a Cyclone Drift[I'm relatively new to RC but I try my best to do research everyday to get to know more in-depth stuffs about RC Cars].

So I was talking to some of the other veteran in this sport and they said eventually after 2-3 weeks of play, I'll decide to sell off my Cyclone Drift and fund for a new one. I think that is true though, whenever you get better, you tend to want to fund for a better chassis/car.

But the cash doesn't allow me as I have a budget and I'm still studying and not working part time. So I was thinking if it was viable to upgrade my Cyclone Drift part by part? Maybe a brushless combo then proceed on getting a better radio/servo all that kind of stuffs.

I need your opinions on this as I really don't have the cash within a short amount of time to fund for a new car/chassis.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMHO you can drift with exactly what you want. I do have a first question for you: What do you call a Cyclone Drift?

Is that a Cyclone TC, or a TC-D or a TC-FD?

Then the main question is to decide if you want to drift in 50-50 mode or in CS mode...
Old 04-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

How do you determine what is a cyclone drift? I didnt know it has such categories. I want to drift purely on it.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

cyclone S is what he got
Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah the Cyclone Drift S
Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay fine I have now a better idea of the architecture...

Are you a total noob or have you already some knowledge about drifting (like CS)?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Kind of a total noob to be honest. I just started RC journey a few days back. I heard CS is more to the high-level drifting.

Currently I'm just learning 4WD drifting and if I get really serious maybe go into the CS drifting.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by symphony888
Any suggestions?
Nothing wrong with the car you got, it will take you 12+ months of constant drifting to out grow that car. Leave it as a 50/50 setup. If in 12 months time you are still drifting, and loving it, then look to upgrade to a CS setup, but that is not really essential, some guys never go past 50/50.

Things you can plan for now, start with a quality charger and lipo batteries, new tires and rims are always nice and will wear out if you run on rough surfaces and only cost $8 a set, upgrade your radio next to something much better, new body shells are cheap and make the car look like new again this will cost you around the $30 mark. By now your brushed motor is starting to get tired, time to get a nice brushless motor and esc.

Use Hobbyking for lots of these things and you will save cash along the way. Hopups for the car, forget them, they are a waste of time and money, get the things you need now like tires, the things you will take with you, quality radio, charger and batteries and when you are ready, a real pro drift chassis.

Hope that helps you some.

Oh and mostly, HAVE FUN.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
Nothing wrong with the car you got, it will take you 12+ months of constant drifting to out grow that car. Leave it as a 50/50 setup. If in 12 months time you are still drifting, and loving it, then look to upgrade to a CS setup, but that is not really essential, some guys never go past 50/50.

Things you can plan for now, start with a quality charger and lipo batteries, new tires and rims are always nice and will wear out if you run on rough surfaces and only cost $8 a set, upgrade your radio next to something much better, new body shells are cheap and make the car look like new again this will cost you around the $30 mark. By now your brushed motor is starting to get tired, time to get a nice brushless motor and esc.

Use Hobbyking for lots of these things and you will save cash along the way. Hopups for the car, forget them, they are a waste of time and money, get the things you need now like tires, the things you will take with you, quality radio, charger and batteries and when you are ready, a real pro drift chassis.

Hope that helps you some.

Oh and mostly, HAVE FUN.
Cheers for the long explanation
I'm loving the car as of now to be honest with 4WD Drifting. I'm starting to get better and I can see that.

What I plan was to upgrade my ESC,MOTOR to brushless and get a set of lipo batteries. As I have an intelligent charger already. What is left at the moment is to get the brushless combo and lipo and then save up for a better servo/radio etc.

What do you recommend for a brushless combo? I'm not really sure how to choose though.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:16 AM
Suspended

Cheers for the long explanation
I'm loving the car as of now to be honest with 4WD Drifting. I'm starting to get better and I can see that.

What I plan was to upgrade my ESC,MOTOR to brushless and get a set of lipo batteries. As I have an intelligent charger already. What is left at the moment is to get the brushless combo and lipo and then save up for a better servo/radio etc.

What do you recommend for a brushless combo? I'm not really sure how to choose though.
Something between 8.5T and 13.5T is about where most guys end up, as for brand, well, for every person you ask, you will get a different answer. For me, I am a bit like you, my drifter is poverty street. But being cheap does not mean it is rubbish. I use these linked below:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_Car_Esc.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3250KV.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ming_Card.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...APPROVED_.html

About $120 + postage you will get Esc, Motor and 2 lipos.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
Something between 8.5T and 13.5T is about where most guys end up, as for brand, well, for every person you ask, you will get a different answer. For me, I am a bit like you, my drifter is poverty street. But being cheap does not mean it is rubbish. I use these linked below:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_Car_Esc.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3250KV.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ming_Card.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...APPROVED_.html

About $120 + postage you will get Esc, Motor and 2 lipos.
Thanks for the reply mate. It seems like I need to solder those myself. Is it gonna be difficult as I don't really know which wires to solder on etc.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

If your looking to get into competative drifting, then get a 10.5T. Most drift events call for that turn.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

HobbyWing Xerun Sensored Combo. V2.1 ESC + 10.5T + LCD Program Card

Is this a good combo?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the reply mate. It seems like I need to solder those myself. Is it gonna be difficult as I don't really know which wires to solder on etc.
Yes you will need to solder them, but it is not hard, on the motor and esc is A B C, A goes to A etc, then the red and black go to the + and - of the battery connector. it is pretty much fool proof.

Nothing wrong with the Hobbywing combo, they are good and reliable. Same again, you will still need to solder them up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.