Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to change lipo voltage to 4.20 and 8.40

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
ROAR did not change the lipo voltage rule. The rule has always been 8.4v for a 2S pack. The allowable tolerance for charging differences was permitted for .04v which was never intended to be a standard. So, to say ROAR changed the rules is incorrect.

I can only imagine the reason for complaining about this.. is someone spent money to get a competitive advantage. Happens all the time things change, this is a small one, get over it.
Tim,basically the rule has changed.......ROAR removed the allowable tolerance. That my friend IS a change in the rule!

Not someone, but many racers have spent money also when the rule was in place charger companies were adhering to the ROAR rules and charging to max. This is what racers do they go to the edge of the rules, but whithin the rules!

I think (my opinion) would be if ROAR kept their old rule in effect there would be NO discussion on this subject and racing would go on as usual. Now the racers that have upgraded, bought newer chargers are going to have to closley monitor their batteries so they are not cheating or breaking the new rules! Another nail in the ever fast KILLING RC coffin!
Old 12-22-2009, 06:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1fastdude
Why in the world would ROAR have made the initial statement and allowance of .04 in the beginning AND change it NOW? If it was allowable in THE BEGINNING and racers are going BY THE RULES and getting their chargers upgraded TO THE RULES then why change it????? What has changed in the lipo battery that would make you change an existing rule? It certainly has not ruined ALL the batteries from 2009 has it because of the extra .04V? Must we all now dispose all of our 2009 lipos?
The STANDARD has always been 8.40V since Roar approved LiPo's for use, the TOLERANCE was 8.44V. If the charger you originally purchased charged LiPo's (pretty much everything but a GFX at the time) you shouldn't have had to send it back because it already charged to 8.40V

Originally Posted by goop
i think there should be a standard multimeter then, lets say a fluke meter this way there should be no difference in readings as was the case at the classic. these races are using 5 dollar multimeters that arent even close to being accurate.
Roar uses a Fluke now and will continue to use one, can't speak for "non-roar" races but all of the electric nationals use the same one
Old 12-22-2009, 06:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

also when the LiPo rules first came out, (look under the roar news back like January 2008ish) the proposal stated that the rules WILL change and evolve.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Eli, it is all semantics, I see your point. But regardless, small item.

See ROAR is screwed if they do, and screwed if they don't. Does not matter people piss and moan for one reason or another. If does not fit someones personal agenda, then it is the worst thing that can happen to the sport.

The whole move to Lipo and brushless, we all knew there would be growing pains, and this is part of that... as much as speedo's like the AE one, and for that matter the SPX.....
Old 12-22-2009, 06:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by 1fastdude
I think (my opinion) would be if ROAR kept their old rule in effect there would be NO discussion on this subject and racing would go on as usual.
There's always SOMETHING for racers to complain about
Old 12-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i bet we could get this to 200+ posts if we try. by then, we will have lost another 20 racers that were leaning toward on-road as a way to spend their christmas money ....
Old 12-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by abailey21
The STANDARD has always been 8.40V since Roar approved LiPo's for use, the TOLERANCE was 8.44V. If the charger you originally purchased charged LiPo's (pretty much everything but a GFX at the time) you shouldn't have had to send it back because it already charged to 8.40V
Not exactly sure what some of your statement indicates! The new Dynamite passport charger charges the 1S to 4.22V. Is Dynamite going to have to recall all of their chargers for an upgrade?
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I love offroad racing
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by seaball
i bet we could get this to 200+ posts if we try. by then, we will have lost another 20 racers that were leaning toward on-road as a way to spend their christmas money ....

suck it up, deal with it, and consider it your christmas gift to all the racers who are tired of watching the on-road community self destruct.

for the few roar (teched) races that exist, just figure out how long you need to discharge your pack to meet the new requirements. as a favor to your peers who want to have races to go to in the future, just figure it out.
Right on Chris, lets move on. I just figured I personally would let the racers going to ROAR races and other races that abide by ROAR rules know what to expect in 2010. You can close this thread for now moderators
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
I love offroad racing
I love onroad racing.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

1fastdude, you seem to be spearheading this "campaign" so tell me something...

I want you to prove to me in your next post EXACTLY what advantage your vehicle has by charging to 8.44V over 8.40V. How exactly and in exact detail does that give you an advantage? I would like to see specifics please.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
I love offroad racing
I believe that the ROAR rules would be for offroad too
Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Chris make a great point... and lets get back to figuring out, how we can get more NEW people into the hobby, and the local club race numbers up...

The handful of races stuff like this effects could probably be better handled in PM's and emails.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by abailey21
1fastdude, you seem to be spearheading this "campaign" so tell me something...

I want you to prove to me in your next post EXACTLY what advantage your vehicle has by charging to 8.44V over 8.40V. How exactly and in exact detail does that give you an advantage? I would like to see specifics please.
No advantage, just stating that with the new 2010 rules that any racer that has a charger that charges to the old 2009 rules will be breaking the rule! Advantage-Smantage makes no difference to me, other than the fact that my new Dynamite charger is OVERCHARGING now! I run within the rules at all races I attend or "I'm disqualified"
Old 12-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

yeah but the offroad crowd doesn't care about the .04 voltage difference. Every week the onroad crowd is bitching about something else, if it's not a new esc, new software, new motors, it's .04 volts. I've raced onroad since the early 90's and have happily switched to offroad to actually have some fun again without worrying about all this crap and constantly changing rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.