Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2400 Sanyo false peak

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Default 2400 Sanyo false peak

I got several packs. Only one use to false peak. It's a Sanyo 2400 match. It false peaked from the very beginning, but I thought it would go away, when used a couple of time. Probaly, I should have returned it, but I didn't.

Any suggestions to reviewe the pack?

Until know, I've been using the following routine:

1) 6,5 amps pulse charge.
2) run the pack, untill drop (if not drop, then discharge at 10 amps.
3) Cool down.
4) 6,5 amps charge...

The pack have max. been used 3 times at one day. Normally one weeks rest, before next use. Between uses, it have been equalized on an active equalizer down to 0,6 volt per. cell.

The pack performs well. There's no single cell that gets hotter than the others during charge/discharge.

I've tried charging as low as 3,5 amps, no difference. Sometimes the pack don't false peak, but not so often. And mainly on the first charge per day.

Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2001, 06:33 AM
Regional Moderator

What is your charger??
Old 12-02-2001, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Are all your packs 2400's..if not maybe you are charging in NI-MH mode which will usaully cause false peaking. Also if you are using one of the cheaper chargers that are now being redisned to charge NI-MH cells it may be registering as a NI-MH when you hit the go button.....

BTW: NI-CD's don't like being used more than once per day/week.... NI-MH cells maybe the way to go for you....
Old 12-02-2001, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Charger: Apex Sigma Plus, which do both NiCd and NiMh, auto select.

Other packs: 1700's, 2000's. The 2400 is the one and only.

I've heard that story before, with only one use per day. I don't believe it - as long they cool down between uses. The more charges per day, the more punch. Which I need.

On another forum, another guy told me, that all he's 2400 packs seems to do like this. He use a cold-start feature on his charger to avoid those false peaks.

Many of my charges are done at 12-18 degree celsius ambient. Can this low temperature cause it?
Old 12-29-2001, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Default Problem solved !

To answer my own question, I trickle charged the pack twice (approx. 50 mA). I dissconnected it after 48 hours. Discharged at 10 amps. I've also mounted a thicker wire between the powersupply and the charger.

I've used them several times by now, no false peaking anymore. Unfortunately I trickle charged and changed wiring at the same time, so I can't tell which part is most important. But hopefully somebody can use this.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

I found my 2400 cells if charged at 5 AMps it wont perform as well as if I charge them at 0.5-1A, then before I use the cells I re-peak them at 2-3A which takes around 10-15 mins... which gave it a lot of punch and excellent run time.....
Old 12-30-2001, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

What do you mean with "perform"? Runtime or punch? I'm running in stock, and I got plenty of runtime. So I charge at 6,5 amps, sacrificing some runtime, but get plenty of punch. Much more than if charged at 5 amps...
Old 12-30-2001, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Cole- i would try linear charging instead of pulse. You shouldn't have to trickle charge a fairly new pack just for it to take a charge. Cold start is a story in itself so we won't get into that.

Good Luck
Old 12-30-2001, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

What I meant was if I slow charge at 0.5 - 1 A then I re-peak at 3-5A I get plenty of punch and I get excellent run time.... If I only charge them at 5A I get good punch but no so good run time... and of course if I only charge them at 0.5 - 1A I seem to get less punch but still keeping good run time.....
Old 12-31-2001, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

something must be seriously wrong with your packs if you have to charge them that low just to make run time with them....but if it works for you then what can I say.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey Cole

Do you have to charge the battery at trickle charge all the time or was it just this time?

Eg: are you now able to charge the 2400 battery in fast charge?

Ryan
Old 01-02-2002, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Now I'm able to fast charge them every time. At 6,5 amps. sometimes I've been doing it 3 times a day, without a problem.