Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Extra Wire from Battery pack to Motor? >

Extra Wire from Battery pack to Motor?

Extra Wire from Battery pack to Motor?

Old 06-05-2004, 06:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Extra Wire from Battery pack to Motor?

I was reading the "Hot Tourers" article in the newest Car Action magagzine. I noticed on the Shumacher, as well as others, the pics show the standard red (positve) and black (negative) wires off the battery pack going to the ESC.

There is also an extra red wire going directly from the battery pack to the positive lead on the motor. What is this, and why is it done?

THank you
Old 06-05-2004, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

battery power is not going to it, the battery is receiving electrons from the motor and esc
Old 06-05-2004, 06:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Sure....that is correct...but then why is there the extra wire directly from the battery pack lead to the motor, by-passing the esc?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

it's not battery to the motor it's motor to battery...

Why would electrons need to flow through the esc to go back to the batteries? ESC just needs to control electrons going in (negative)

All reverse is set up with 4 wire leds from esc and highend forwards are set with 3 wires.

the positive wire from esc to battery is to get rid of electrons that ESC used and the positive wire from motor is the circulate the electrons the motor used...
Old 06-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

an esc only switches the NEG. side of the motor, not the positive wire.

The positive from the batt. goes direct to the motor & esc.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Tech Initiate

ok...but what is the advantage of doing this?
Old 06-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Here is the picture i am referring to.

Old 06-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

All or most speedos you can see the red wires are all one wire and like Tres said, there's nothing stopping motor from getting + juice. Just on that picture you have it looks like they have something going on when it's same standard wiring setup but just looks different b/c where the 2 red wires join is on the battery now instead of being splined. it's not different than anything else out there other than ascetics.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Just saying the same thing but putting it another way...

The only reason there is a +ve/red wire from the battery to the esc is to give the esc power, nothing to do with powering the motor.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
That's a sweet way to do it; never thought of that
Old 06-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

The only drawback to that setup would be you have to soldier 3 wires instead of 2 when changing packs.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Initiate

I guess I am still not getting it......BUT WHY?

Why would you do that?
Old 06-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

The positive side of the speedo, motor and cells all need to be connected somewhere. Lots of people have a T junction somewhere near the motor or speedo, or have a wire going from the speedo to the motor then the cells. Here ther've simply made the "junction" at the cells, which is what a lot of speedo manuals tell you to do but often it's neater to make the junction at the motor. With the two wires to the cells, theoreticly there is a bit less resistance.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok..now I might be stupid here...but from what i have seen on ESC...there are 4 wires coming out:

Pair for battery

Pair for motor.

dont get me wrong..i am just trying to figure out the benefit or why you would do it like this.

Thanks guys
Old 06-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

On most higher-end escs, the negative wire for both the battery and the motor is doubled up to have a total of 3 wires. That's what is happening in the picture you provided, except that is even a different way than how most of us are used to. Most usually cut a small part of the insulation off in the middle and solder an extension onto the one negative wire, creating one total unit with leads to the battery and motor. The picture has 4 wires total and does the exact same job, it is just a different way of doing it. Both allow for less electrical resistance and more efficiency. Lower-model escs have 4 wires like you described.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.