Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 06-22-2013, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oceanhighz
It's called the CSO touring car. VERY similar to the T4, so much so that 90+% of the suspension parts are direct transfers if you ever need parts. Arms etc are direct replacements.
I have seen that and it does look like an Xray. Not what I was talking about, but still very cool. I am glad to see some nice options in the TC market come in around the $300 mark.

By the way guys, I know this is not the thread for this but VTA is my love and you guys are my peeps. The arrival of a package not more than an hour ago makes me the owner of a mylaps RC4 decoder. I am now a member of the race directors club. VTA and other classes coming soon to a parking lot in Dalton GA. STOKED I am.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
any of you guys coming to Indy June 28th for this event and run some VTA and GT
I'm going to be headed out there for this race. I went to the ROAR regionals here in NJ but only 2 VTA cars showed up so, I came home. So, I'm taking a road trip to Indy. Hopefully there will be a good showing there. Are you going Darkside?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Default VTA chassis

May have been brought up before, but I'm thinking of getting into VTA racing,
and would like to know members opinions on a good chassis for this. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by misplacedtexan
May have been brought up before, but I'm thinking of getting into VTA racing,
and would like to know members opinions on a good chassis for this. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I highly recommend the TC3 or TC4. Any version will do. Very competitive and lots of parts available.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

how are you guys getting a tall enough gear ratio on a TC3 or TC4 (or are you just running on tracks with No Speed areas)
Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SWTour
how are you guys getting a tall enough gear ratio on a TC3 or TC4 (or are you just running on tracks with No Speed areas)
60t robinson spur 48p (bolts right in) 35t to 41t pinion. I know you can get more gearing choice with 64p but we race on a fairly old asphalt surface and 48p doesn't seem to pick up small rocks or sand as bad. track is 150'X80'. Usually run about a 40 pinion with a 21.5 ballistic motor.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertottius
I'm going to be headed out there for this race. I went to the ROAR regionals here in NJ but only 2 VTA cars showed up so, I came home. So, I'm taking a road trip to Indy. Hopefully there will be a good showing there. Are you going Darkside?
yes...early Friday
Old 06-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Before everybody gets crazy, I was contacted by Novak a while ago to let me know they would be coming up with a new motor. Their intention is to keep performance the same, and to keep the new motors on a par with the older models.

As far as the cooling holes, the reason the rule was made was people who wanted to either #1 machine or hand modify motors or secondarily buy aftermarket parts for their motors. That is 100% not the intention of the class. The idea is to take a motor from the package and install it and race. We don't need 6 tuning rotors and a ton of confusing options.

As of this second, today, the motor is not legal, but that is because it has not been evaluated yet. I hope that will happen very soon.
So...
Old 06-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone in the VTA ranks thinking of coming to CALIF for a few days for some Summer Vacation - NEXT Weekend at Camarillo's FREEDOM Park Raceway - they'll be running USVTA w/ their Golden State On-Road Championship race...

Here's the entry list for that class so far.

USVTA 25.5
1. Mike Evans
2. Bill Levinson
3. Steve Taffert
4. Rich Maupin
5. Dave Koch
6. Randy Miller
7. Bill Secara
8. Mike Atherton
Old 06-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bertottius
I highly recommend the TC3 or TC4. Any version will do. Very competitive and lots of parts available.
Thanks for the info Chris, it's much appreciated!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by misplacedtexan
Thanks for the info Chris, it's much appreciated!
Not a problem. You can find a good used one for less than $100 on here or ebay. Or you can buy a new one as well pretty much anywhere.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Joe and Bryan Myers should be on that Camarillo list!!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Gary,

I wish we could be, but we'd be on the OUTLAW List if we were able to make it. This should be a really good race.

Bryan's got to be in VICTORVILLE (can you say YUCK) that weekend, and I don't have the $$ for a 2 day race.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

im finally getting into VTA myself and just got a killer deal on a TC6.1

Racing will be at Delta's new on road track (east bay, CA) and am looking damn forward to it!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by egalsim
I just want to take this opportunity to thank USVTA and RCGT for getting me back into touring cars. Last time I had one, the RS4 Pro was top of the line and everyone raced bodies that looked like cars that were on TV, or that you would see at the local streetracing hangout. When the Stratus bodies started coming in with the dish wheels and "custom" paintjobs, it was a BIG turnoff for me, and a couple of the guys I used to go to the local track with. So, I just got bored with it and left the hobby for awhile. After a divorce, and life, I wanted to do something that was fun again, now that I have much more disposable income, and time. I looked online at the HPI site and saw all the new stuff and this thing called RCGT. Then doing more research, I discovered USVTA. Totally reminded me of all the cool looking cars that came from the 60's and 70's and the RCGT class reminded me of what made touring cars so cool when I had my RS4 Pro. To this day, I will not spend a dime on a "dish" wheel, no matter how good it makes the car perform, but, I will buy a $100 set of aluminum wheels that match a set of BBS wheels I saw on a CLK touring car on BTCC. I hope the rules of body, and wheels bleed off into other classes of Touring car racing, maybe then, will I enter into a modified TC race. For now, USVTA and RCGT will be my money pits. Again, thank you.
What a great post. I was never big in TC when it was young, but I missed the days of dirt cars looking more like real buggies than the RC cars of today. Think Scorpion and Frog. Anyway I was pleased to see something catching on that had cars of a streetable look. I had my own struggles in wanting VTA to be something that it was not, but I have come to appreciate it at face value and love it for its virtues. This is the best class to race for pure fun and close racing. USGT picking up where RCGT was slipping and becoming a more and more popular supporting class for VTA and also addressing many of the complaints for those that like the idea of VTA but want more motors and more ESC choices and more bodies etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.