Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

not really the right forum, since i race onroad, but look at the lap records from my track

http://www.cotswoldmodelcarclub.co.uk/laprecords.htm
Old 01-24-2008, 04:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Nitros don't do this

$150 motor

Old 01-24-2008, 04:42 AM
Suspended

Ouchies....

Looks like you need a new Rotor...man it snapped it right off.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

actually i saw crank shaft being snapped in a similar way. that's just manufacturer's defect.

the tire thing yes nitro is more but you go through electric tires faster so in the end its the same unless you run a slick tire track.

and breakages depend on the driver.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
Nitros don't do this

$150 motor

You really should have your facts straight before you bash something.

That's a Mamba Max motor that runs no more than about $70-80 anywhere online that sells them. Aside from that, it can be returned to Castle and repaired/replaced for a flat $45 fee...and that's if they don't just cover it completely under warranty.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There is no right answer, only preference and opinion. Which ever you prefer, great, drive it and enjoy! Remember, it's a hobby!

Below is my original response from the Nitro On-Road section.

Originally Posted by Crawler
With the brushless motor technology available today and those in development as well as the new generations of batteries now being developed, I see electric making a strong case for superiority.

The next year or so will really see a rapid expansion in the popularity of electric again as advancements in motor, battery, and electronics make electrics even faster, lighter and enjoying dramatically longer run times.

Nitro is the largest segment of the hobby and will never go away do to several factors, many mentioned by members here.

That being said, nitro has issues to face that are becoming factors in some locals. Noise ordinances, neighbor complaints and exhaust emissions are all liabilities to some extent.

While the sound, smell, and exhaust are an absolute turn on to many, they are equally repulsive to others. Don't think the GREEN machine hasn't noticed.

In California, they have already gone after 2 stroke engines (motorcycles, out board motors, ATV, watercraft, yard equipment, ect...). It wouldn't surprise me at all if at some point in the near future, other forms of combustion engines don't come under "environmental" scrutiny.

In the end, they're R/C! A form of enjoyment, sport and relaxation that we all enjoy, which form is better (electric or nitro) is a matter of opinion as both have strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited by Crawler; 01-24-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 85 (98%+)
Exclamation

2 MaxAmps 11.1v 8000mAh= $430 The wife when I told her!
1 NEU 1515 brush less motor= $250
Traxxas VXL ESC= $115
Tekno/Impakt goodies and such=$150
Super clean and mega fun REVO= Priceless
Luckily I already have a charger that does LiPo!
I recently sold a lot of my nitro gear and then dumped it right back into a brushless setup for the revo! As far as prices go, I would say converting a nitro vehicle to electric costs more up front but will be cheaper for me personally in the long run. I gots to look at the whole picture. I think this will just be easier for me and for my kids to enjoy!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hyperguy
SOME OF OUR LOCAL GUYS AND I HAD THIS DISCUSSION AWHILE BACK. SO WE ADDED UP WHAT WE SPENT FOR ELECTRIC AND NITRO IN ONE YEAR AND IT WAS ABOUT 300.00 CHEAPER TO RUN NITRO FOR 1 YEAR THAN ELECTRIC
Only in the first year, would that be possible. With brushless and lipo the initial cost is a bit bewildering, but in the second year when you are buying your gallons of fuel ( its easy to blow a case in a season, maybe two if you race) the lipo's will still be running strong. I know i got some over a year and a half with no, NO degrade.

Nexxus, The only way that motor would cost you 150.00, is if you bought it from a dishonest Ebayer and didn't know what you were buying. Yes suggested price is about that, but you know most places retail about half that. Oh, and Nitro's will do that, its called a snapped crank. I have seen everything from cheap no name motors to a RB 3 port buggy engine break their cranks
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

This is truley a Ford Chevy debate and there is no winner. But I'm not sure we are really looking for one.

It really comes down to the hassles you want to choose to deal with, because we know each side has their bag of crap to carry around.

I used to hate electric cause the powerband was so foriegn to me from nitro. But now, I have a feeling that since I was "saved" that the powerband of a nitro would have me crying for my electric back real quick. My 2 cents.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Crawler
There is no right answer, only preference and opinion. Which ever you prefer, great, drive it and enjoy! Remember, it's a hobby!

Below is my original response from the Nitro On-Road section.

Your reply in the Nitro section was way too intelligent for that thread. Excellent points though great post.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mike Marshall
Your reply in the Nitro section was way too intelligent for that thread. Excellent points though great post.
Thanks for the compliment, I see it more as common sense than anything.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Ooops my bad, I don't want to get into this, I should read everything first, LOL.

Last edited by Orange; 01-25-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Tech Rookie

IMO

I just got into the hobby 4 weeks ago, yes I'm a newbie. So I went out and bought a GT2 and a T4 with the complete mindset to race them both (which I do, not well mind you but's fun as hell with both) at a local track here in WNY. I've been reading and researching about this hobby in both forms for 2 week longer (6 weeks). The funny thing about this thread is, that no matter which side you guys are on, your both right !!!

1) The T4 after some minor hop-ups, Batteries/chargers ect ect was more pricey than the GT2 with the same type of hop-ups (bell cranks/pinios, tires, shocks, servos some better turnbuckles ect ect literally in my case practically identical all said and done).

2) As far as learning to tune them, the electric was by far easier for those Plug~n~play times we all need, although (again imo) Nitro is more fun to breakin and tune. It's more "alive and connected" feeling to me. Not just another computer running our lives and doing the work for us.

3) Driving them, well I have my days I like both and hate both. Snappy, wining electrics w/uber smooth streeing, I love it !! Feeling, listening, smelling getting that "I created this animal now watch me tame it" sensation from the nitro just rocks.

All in all I have no opinion on the tread. Now that I think about it most lovingly dislike both of them equally
Old 01-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
Nitros don't do this
$150 motor

$150 motor, but a $40-50 rotor. Unscrew a few screws, pull the casing apart, and replace the rotor. It's not rocket science. Ever broken a connecting rod in a nitro motor? Or better yet, had a crankshaft bearing go out? Funny you didn't mention the price of a new rod, piston & sleeve, and everything else that gets destroyed when something goes wrong in a nitro motor...
Old 01-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

as said before thats a mamba max motor which costs like 80 dollars or less. and the screws are there just for assembly of the motor the casing itself it glued together so you cant take the motor apart. things like that are something you warranty ive never seen a motor break like that before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.