Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Need help converting brushed dromida to brushless >

Need help converting brushed dromida to brushless

Like Tree12Likes

Need help converting brushed dromida to brushless

Old 01-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Need help converting brushed dromida to brushless

Hey guys first post here. Pretty new to rc still. I have a cpl 8th scale arrma vehicles. Big and badass, but i also like the small stuff. So I got a really good deal on a brushed dromida mt. Looking to upgrade to a hobbywing brushless combo. And i have a few Q's....

Going to be driving off road primarily but doing some straight shots down the street is good time as well. I was thinking the 4100kv or the 5300kv. Is there a certain combo anybody would recommend?

I'm still pretty new. What about the reciever... would I need a new one and transmitter also, or is there a way to utilize the stock transmitter?

Any help, advise or just chit chat on the subject would be appreciated.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

I have a few dromidas all brushless. First the stock transmitter can be used with the Dromida RX18 3-Channel Brushless Receiver. You will also need the Dromida Universal Servo Mount. I would also get the aluminum drivetrain upgrade kit but not use the aluminum spur. On the cheap I would go with one of the 2435 4800KV 4P Sensorless Brushless Motor w/ 25A ESC combos on Ebay. Also a SDMD12M06 Steel Pinion Gear 12T .6 Module 2mm Shaft. The small brushless motors will need 2.5mm bolts or screws to mount them.
Beefy nugz likes this.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Igottabeme
I have a few dromidas all brushless. First the stock transmitter can be used with the Dromida RX18 3-Channel Brushless Receiver. You will also need the Dromida Universal Servo Mount. I would also get the aluminum drivetrain upgrade kit but not use the aluminum spur. On the cheap I would go with one of the 2435 4800KV 4P Sensorless Brushless Motor w/ 25A ESC combos on Ebay. Also a SDMD12M06 Steel Pinion Gear 12T .6 Module 2mm Shaft. The small brushless motors will need 2.5mm bolts or screws to mount them.
Ok I'll look into that reciever.

Do u recommend that brushless setup over a hobbywing? The hobby wings are like $50

What's a module 2mm shaft?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

I am assuming your talking about the Hobbywing Ezun combos with the 25a or 18a escs. The escs are great the motors not so much. I have the escs in some of my minis. I would recommend the escs but not the motors if your going to drive them offroad. The 5200kv and 7200kv motors are good for fast street use but not for offroad. Heres why they are tiny not much torque the can size is only 20mm x 30mm smaller can size high kv = more heat and more drain on the battery. Its like taking a high horse power 4cyl car engine and sticking it in a truck and sure it may go fast on road but will it have the torque to take it offroad. A 2435 (24mm x 35mm can size) brushless motor is the same size as the brushed stock motor. I do not know your budget or how much your willing to spend for the upgrades so I suggested the cheapest option. I mean if your willing to spend $100 just buy the brushless upgrade kit from Dromida you get the 5300kv motor (excellent motor to me), the servo mount, the receiver, brushless esc (has the same connector as the stock battery) 2 brass pinnions and bolts for the motor. But pay $50 dollars more and just get the brushless truck. 0.6 mod is the pitch of the teeth on the pinion on the motor. 2mm is the diameter of the shaft of the motor. The pinion I suggested is better than the stock brass one and will last longer.
Beefy nugz likes this.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-09-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm not wanting spend to much. I just thought the program card would be nice, plus the option to run nmh, 2s or 3s I like.
And to be honest I thought the motors that were a tad more expensive were a tad faster, or made more power. The motors don't have horsepower ratings lol which is what I'm used to looking for when wanting to know what kind of power a motor makes, so I'm a little confused.

I've looked into the dromida brushless motor. Thought it was a little pricey. Thought I could go aftermarket and run a faster combo then the stock brushless setup. Plus I got a crazy good deal on the brushed mt, knowing I was wanting to setup a faster brushless version in the future.

Main goal is to have a faster setup than the stock brushless cars. I mean that would be the whole point of building my own setup. Otherwise I would have just bought the brushless version to begin with. Thought it would be a fun learning curve of a build!

Thanks again for ur help
Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Beefy nugz
I'm not wanting spend to much.

if you want lots of power and tons of room for even more power for 60ish$(till you start breaking stuff)

if you are ok with a bit of modifacation you can have as much power as you want with a stock 550 brushed motor
here is a list of what you would need if you want to do this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Ad...YVT6kLR3qrV4iA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-tit...gAAOSwhpZaSHjg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Robinso...ss!28043!US!-1

if your or anyone is really interested in doing this pm me i can go into more details of how to do this if anyone is interested
Beefy nugz likes this.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sounds like a decent budget option. I want to go brushless due to heat and overall longevity.

I can spend a cpl dollars on a decent setup, although I do feel that purchasing something like the micro mamba x setup with a nice reciever and spending $150 on this little guy when I got the whole vehicle for $50 new, is just kinda silly.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

i have that same setup in a speedruner dromida i have and im probably getting around 60 with it geared 40t pinion to 45t spur on a 3s lipo

i guarantee this is just as fast as a brushless set up with that pinion i recommended
Beefy nugz likes this.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

40t pinion?!!! And ur running that on the titan 550?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

The torque from a 550 is the last thing the drivetrain components need. Surprised I do not see any shocks installed so no dampening of the ride whatsoever. Just try and take that offroad with no shocks. Also should be using the hot racing metal spur for the dromida that plastic one will not last long.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-10-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

The stock dromida esc will take 3s just not for too long (it will get hot). The 5300kv dromida motor will take 3s also if looking for more speed. I use the Hobbywing Ezrun 25a esc with the 5300kv dromida on 3s in a buggy for speed runs. I got the motor for about half price from someone on ebay ($16.00). As for the whole how fast does it go mph thing I feel speed does not matter its how it feels to you when driving it thats important. Also the faster you go the more the tires balloon than its like driving on ice skates.

Beefy nugz likes this.

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-10-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

What do guys think of this motor and esc, size/brand?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/COMBO-ROCKET-BRUSHLESS-SENSORLESS-MOTORE-2838-3Y-5300KV-35A-ESC-1-12-1-14-1-16-/391563706860

Is this going to be too big? Will tgis even work with a dromida?

I also saw the 3650 setup at 4300kv and figured this one was to big. Any thoughts on this size?
Old 01-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey igottabeme, and anybody else who has small scale expierence. I hear what ur saying about running a better esc with the brushless dromida motor on 3s. Do you have a part number or link to the esc ur talking about. I'm Kind of having a hard time finding a decent esc that will handle 3s.

I came across a hobbywing quicrun 30a esc with a 2435 quicrun can, 4500kv and will handle 3s for $40. Seems to be everything I'm looking for. Just don't know if it's a 2 or 4 pole motor. Waiting for an answer from the seller before I purchase along with your thoughts. Mb if I'm over thinking this...

Thanks again
Old 01-13-2018, 06:48 PM
Tech Adept

Let me start by sayying this the dromida is a fun fairly durable 1/18 scale vehicle. But for life of me I can not understand why people keep wanting to throw huge motors in them. There is only so much that you can do with them because of the scale of it. Anything over say about 25mph offroad with them is useless (driving in an level open grass or baseball field does not count as offroad in my opinion). If your going for 50+mph go for a larger scale rc. 50+mph is acheived easier in say a 1/10 scale rc. If your willing to dremel, drill, and cut the chassis and parts you can do anything or put anything in it you want. But can the parts and dirvetrain handle it. Sorry I had just had to say that first.

The quicrun motor is a 2 pole motor and so is the dromida motor. The hobbywing 30a esc is a good esc and warterproof. The generic blue can 2435
brushless motors on ebay are 4 pole motors and so are the Goolrc ones. I have not uesd the quicrun motor but I have used the Goolrc and generic ones (a couple are still installed in my minis). I have not done speed tests or run 3s on them but I prefer the dromida motor over them. I have a tacon 2040 4850kv brushless motor in one of my dromida monster trucks and it is currently my favorite backyard basher (of my minis). I have done a few upgrades on it. Pic is after a run in the yard.
Beefy nugz likes this.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Right on, yeah first time around with mini's and i love having more power than needed. I have a 1/8 scale monster truck that will do rolling back flips when u hit the throttle 90%.

I was about to pull the trigger on the 30a quicrun esc and a castle creations 4100kv for a total of $53.

Instead I went with the racestar 25a esc and racestar 2435 motor 4800kv waterproof combo for $27 shipped. Only 2s capable tho. I'm sure it will be much faster than my current brushed setup. Although we will see, the brushed motor has some decent speed to it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.