Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alan_r
And the answer cometh....HMX8 dropping late August. Nice
For the low price of $485.99 lol
Old 06-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Dude,
You're not effing kidding. The problem with this new high price standard is that now the bar for what's considered low cost has been raised. Oh if Orion is selling for $485, which they will, then we can list our "budget" Esc at $199. It's a steal compared to the race spec version! LOL SMH.
Goof likes this.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I am sure Orion is justifying the cost because of the free app download. The R10.1 when it came out was $230.00 and the program box was another $100.00+ purchase.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
I am sure Orion is justifying the cost because of the free app download. The R10.1 when it came out was $230.00 and the program box was another $100.00+ purchase.
Yes but I run 4 10.1's and only need 1 program box. No way I am purchasing 4 at $400 each. There's just too many good options now for speed controls (Maclan, Muchmore, Reedy, Hobbywing, etc). I could see an extra $50-75 increase for new technology......but almost double? No thanks. Orion has lost me as a customer.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Is there any reset with this product?

Basically I was installing my hmx10 on my sc10 and while I plugged in my phone app it powered up my steering servo and transponder. I still haven't even hooked up my lipo but the issue was my steering was bumped on table and it forced the front wheels to moved and all of a sudden the esc said not connected on app, the transponder and steering shut off also. I tried multiple times unplugging esc to app and it will not connect to app anymore. Any ideas?
Old 07-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

i find it only a bad thing if the price is for a bad esc

and i can say this is a shockingly easy to setup and very fast esc

i ran this in 13.5t boosted a class at the brca clubmans ,a class i havent done at national level since 2011 as i do blinky and waiting for it to go on the list and with in two practices changing very little. i had one of the fasted esc i have every run. i took ppl off the start line and pulled 2-3 car length on some ppl down the straight and still didnt top out and over heat
The motor wasnt the best i have had as got this esc when my 3 year old speedpassion failed inside taking out the best motor i found for boosted/blinky

i recommend this esc if u have the money it was a joy to run

track was adur ,fdr 6.46, motor reedy m3 set to 30 deg(recommend fantom v2r to 30deg )
setting where
turbo 1
start 3500rpm
400deg/sec
turbo 2
start 16000rpm
500deg/sec
max turbo
60 deg
0.1 sec delay
and slope of 24 deg/sec

punch and brakes is to ur liking but had them all ramped up
Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hmx

First hmx blown up the bec after 2 lipo's, now i have a new one in warrenty, and doesn't connect with app, tried 4 tablets and 2 smartphones, it simply does not connect and the esc is unusable
I was always happy with Orion but from now on it gonna be hobbywing
Sorry orion you lost me as a customer, if you make that expensive products that aren't working it's just simply as that
Old 07-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.Cooper
First hmx blown up the bec after 2 lipo's, now i have a new one in warrenty, and doesn't connect with app, tried 4 tablets and 2 smartphones, it simply does not connect and the esc is unusable
I was always happy with Orion but from now on it gonna be hobbywing
Sorry orion you lost me as a customer, if you make that expensive products that aren't working it's just simply as that
Did you try connecting to a computer? The computer has always been better for software updates and major changes. Also what motor are you running? If it is not an Orion then try unplugging the sensor cable and then connecting. I have 4 of them and have not any problems at all.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dinosback
Did you try connecting to a computer? The computer has always been better for software updates and major changes. Also what motor are you running? If it is not an Orion then try unplugging the sensor cable and then connecting. I have 4 of them and have not any problems at all.
It's used with a brand new Orion 10.5 ultimate stock
I tryed on a computer now and this seems to work, however i would prefer the app on the pittable
Also tryed again the app after pc but can't get connection with that even on different tabblets, it doesn't connect whatever i try
Will do the "unplug sensor" method tommorrow but if that is the way this thing works than you can better buy sommething else, i have 5 orions r10.1 with no problems, also hw xr10 no problems
But this...man man
Old 07-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mr.Cooper
It's used with a brand new Orion 10.5 ultimate stock
I tryed on a computer now and this seems to work, however i would prefer the app on the pittable
Also tryed again the app after pc but can't get connection with that even on different tabblets, it doesn't connect whatever i try
Will do the "unplug sensor" method tommorrow but if that is the way this thing works than you can better buy sommething else, i have 5 orions r10.1 with no problems, also hw xr10 no problems
But this...man man
Do you have the latest software installed from computer and phone? Just a couple of weeks ago they came out with a updated app. I have an S7 for a phone and use it for only small adjustments at the track. When I plug the phone into the ESC the app will start up by itself. If it does not connect while in app unplug it and then plug it in. I also turn the ESC on while I have the USB plugged in. Also I would suggest doing a remote calibration every time you change the settings. Once in a while if I don't turn on the remote before the ESC it will not work. I am not sure what that is about. Another time I had a bad sensor cable and ESC would not work untill I replaced it. These are some of the issues I have come by. I came from the 10.1 as well. On our carpet track I have been very impressed with the performance of the HMX.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by dinosback
Do you have the latest software installed from computer and phone? Just a couple of weeks ago they came out with a updated app. I have an S7 for a phone and use it for only small adjustments at the track. When I plug the phone into the ESC the app will start up by itself. If it does not connect while in app unplug it and then plug it in. I also turn the ESC on while I have the USB plugged in. Also I would suggest doing a remote calibration every time you change the settings. Once in a while if I don't turn on the remote before the ESC it will not work. I am not sure what that is about. Another time I had a bad sensor cable and ESC would not work untill I replaced it. These are some of the issues I have come by. I came from the 10.1 as well. On our carpet track I have been very impressed with the performance of the HMX.
Believe me, i tryed everything....
I have a samsung s8 and a samsung tab E
Latest firmware and app installed
Esc V4 1.03 modified
And reinstall the hmx app yesterday
And offcourse a good working sensor cable
At this moment it only connects with the pc
Old 07-14-2017, 12:28 AM
Tech Regular

Any more reviews? Does any one feel this is a performance upgrade over the R10.1? I hesitate to buy this for the number one reason being Orion's legendary lack of customer service and is this product actually better than the last.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Tech Initiate

just dont get it
I have a orion pro and love it
The new orion is just not in my race buget but this is
I just got a sanwa mt-44 payed $295 at amain with discount and the super vortex v2 for $185
So for only $105 dollars more then the new orion esc
I got the radio receiver and esc
Can also program it all with the radio see rpm voltage and temps
This is the way of the future not some app on your phone
Old 07-16-2017, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

So has anyone ran this B2B with the R10.1? I was outfitting a new truck yesterday and I was hovering over RCMarts $299 HMX10 but I just couldn't do it. Picked up a new R10.1Pro for $175.00 instead. I figure I already have five of them and a DSBR+ so the cost of the HMX was just too much for me to be comfortable with for now. I have top end esc's from almost every brand in various cars and trucks, they all feel different but at the same time they are all pretty amazing and after a few laps I'm "tuned" on how to use them most effectively. Something about Orion just feels premium to me. Maybe it's because in my mind i know what it cost. lol But they are seriously pushing the limits as to what a club racer will pay for an esc. Of all my vehicles, I have 9 that I consider tier one race rigs; that generally get only the best. To upgrade 9 rigs from R10.1's to HMX10's would be insane. But I guess the question of the hour is this:

If you are running the R10.1 will switching to the HMX10 make your lap times come down due to smoother operation, more precision, better braking or faster reaction time within the circuit..........
Old 07-17-2017, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

We just ran another of our point series races on Saturday on turf out here in Las Vegas. The temp was 113 with a track surface temp of 160. All three of my buggies including 17.5 & 13.5 blinky ran just fine. The Hmx10 does run cooler then my 10.1's use to run. I really like the torque adjustment that the HMX10 has. Something the 10.1 did not have. Using the torque and the punch settings together I can get the car right where I want it. Another option missing from the 10.1 is the option to increase the voltage to 7.4 volts. My high voltage servo's and fans really shine with this. We race on turf and carpet and put a lot of stress on our esc's which creates a lot of heat. Then add our hot outside temps to the mix and you will see pretty fast the good esc's from the cheap ones. I am happy that I upgraded to the HMX10 and done very well with them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.