Wiki Posts
Search

2WD Stadium Truck Spinning Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default 2WD Stadium Truck Spinning Out

I have a Nitro Rustler and I can control it pretty well, but it spins out every once in a while. Almost as if the front tires are planted to the ground and it literally just spins. How do you prevent spinning out or lessen the likelihood?

Helpful comments please. No "sell it and get something else" and others like it please.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by quixoticboi
I have a Nitro Rustler and I can control it pretty well, but it spins out every once in a while. Almost as if the front tires are planted to the ground and it literally just spins. How do you prevent spinning out or lessen the likelihood?

Helpful comments please. No "sell it and get something else" and others like it please.
setup
tires
practice(on the surface you're struggling on)
throttle control is a must as well
at the end of the day it's a 2wd and it will spin out from time to time

if you need a good setup for a nitro rustler I'd try checking out the traxxas forums.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NitroLuver
setup
tires
practice(on the surface you're struggling on)
throttle control is a must as well
at the end of the day it's a 2wd and it will spin out from time to time

if you need a good setup for a nitro rustler I'd try checking out the traxxas forums.
Thanks.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much my throttle control. I'm geared up for acceleration (final drive ratio 11.24). I'm already on the Traxxas boards, but it's pretty dead over there.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much my throttle control. I'm geared up for acceleration (final drive ratio 11.24). I'm already on the Traxxas boards, but it's pretty dead over there.

The reason 2wd kinda went dead was because the engines got to powerful, and it was beginning to be to much for only 2 of the wheels putting down the power. So that's when they switched over to 4wd. The best thing to do is, try to make the engine make less bottom end power. This will help you keep from spinning out. If you had an engine with removable venturis in the carbs I would say put the smallest one in to tame the power delivery. But at the least you will just kinda have to get used to it and get better at throttle control.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Make front preload firmer, make rear preload softer.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks.

no problem

another thing you could try is to gear it back down aka take away some of the acceleration but it'll help with the throttle control. what tires are you using and on what surface?

also I don't know why 1/10th died here in CA I don't think it has anything to do with engine size. I think it has something to do with the progression of 1/8th scales if I had to guess.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking SEtup

Storydude1 said it.

It is setup of your suspension.

I have a Losi XXT-CR (Old, I know) and when I race at a place that has high traction, I had the same issue with the setup I was using at a track that had much less traction.

Basically, the rear of the vehicle would pivot around the front tires when driving aggressively around a 180 degree turn.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Storydude1
Make front preload firmer, make rear preload softer.
It's already quite firm. Are you thinking the front has too much bite (downward suspension movement)?

no problem

another thing you could try is to gear it back down aka take away some of the acceleration but it'll help with the throttle control. what tires are you using and on what surface?

also I don't know why 1/10th died here in CA I don't think it has anything to do with engine size. I think it has something to do with the progression of 1/8th scales if I had to guess.
I'm using Losi Step Pins in the rear and Losi Directional Ribs in the front, and it's on some loose stuff around here. There's a loose top layer and the bottom is firm. Don't know exactly what type of surface it is.

And it's unfortunate! 1/10th is, quite seriously, nonexistent here...

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Storydude1 said it.

It is setup of your suspension.

I have a Losi XXT-CR (Old, I know) and when I race at a place that has high traction, I had the same issue with the setup I was using at a track that had much less traction.

Basically, the rear of the vehicle would pivot around the front tires when driving aggressively around a 180 degree turn.
So did you fix your problem? If so, how?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

The Step pins should work on that type of dirt

what springs and shock oils are you running?

also like I said you can gear for more top speed which will take away some of the acceleration(tire spin in the loose stuff) and make the car more manageable

let us know how things work out for ya
Old 10-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

The Step pins should work on that type of dirt

what springs and shock oils are you running?

also like I said you can gear for more top speed which will take away some of the acceleration(tire spin in the loose stuff) and make the car more manageable

let us know how things work out for ya
I'm running Front shocks and springs in the front and rear of the car. Shorter shocks/springs in the rear so it sits lower.

I'm running 30 wt in the front and 35 wt in the rear.

I'll try gearing from 72t spur to 70t. I know the difference isn't going to be as noticeable. But want to run my 18t clutch bell. If need be, I'll probably run 72t spur and 20t clutch bell.

Don't know if I'll be going out today. It's been lightly drizzling all morning and just seized up a couple hours ago.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

slipper clutch?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

What about it? Loosen it? Tighten it? I'm just about 3/8 turn out from fully tightened.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ended up running it today on the same dirt. I should have clarified that I was using my older Gladiators when it was spinning out. I tried out the new Step Pins today and it was a night and day difference, NO JOKE!

It held really well and my setup seems to be working really well.

Believe it or not, I have a slight bit of understeer but nothing major.

Thanks for everyones help!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's already quite firm. Are you thinking the front has too much bite (downward suspension movement)?

I'm using Losi Step Pins in the rear and Losi Directional Ribs in the front, and it's on some loose stuff around here. There's a loose top layer and the bottom is firm. Don't know exactly what type of surface it is.

And it's unfortunate! 1/10th is, quite seriously, nonexistent here...

So did you fix your problem? If so, how?
I"m thinking the rear doesn't have enough.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have 35 wt oil in the rear right now and 30 wt in the front. Should I swap em out? 30 rear and 35 front?