Broken R40 Parts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken R40 Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Tech Addict

well, any composite part is more brittle in the cold. i remember running my rc10gt in the cold; what a nightmare that turned out to be. .

but what does concern me is hearing about the oneway in the two coming out, the "junk" stock CVD, and the need to replace the stock centax with a mugen unit.

what exactly is so bad about the stock centax that would require the need to replace it with a different unit ?
Old 12-04-2003, 03:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It took 6 tries to get it to work. The book is off on its adjustments. Now that I have it working, time will tell. I'll post some pictures tonight on what I'm talking about.

HPI customer support is none existent compared too, say Traxxas. I work at a hobby shop, so I deal with them all the time. Traxxas, if they had a car, would have had a new part shipped to the hobby shop in less than a week. HPI wanted a letter, blood type, mothers maiden name.

The shocks aren't real bad, but compared to say a NTC3? Plastic?

But the car handles like its glued. With some work, it can be a pretty good car. My point is, with some work it can be a good car.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by kreidel
My friend runs a R40 over at the Kissimmee track and has broken a CVD, pulled the pivotballs through the knuckle, broke a shock body in half. Also when he was assembling the car the one way bearing fell right through the over sized 2speed housing.
Ok, it sounds like your friend is living on the boards, or hitting something. Shock bodies just don't break in half, and pivotballs just don't fall out on their own. They need alittle help and if your on the boards all the time, something is going to give, and I promise you, it's not the board. Yes I have had the same pivotball problem, but I know each time it has happened, it was because of over aggresive driving that landed me into the boards.

Last edited by C0NTENDER; 12-04-2003 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah things just dont break by nothing. And ot be honest the walls in Kissimmee do give. Remember when the 1/5th scale went through it?
Old 12-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Jea3
The shocks are junk, the clutch, throw it out and install a Mugen clutch. CVD's? Junk.

The car has no top end, and you can't get enough gearing for it. Handles like a dream, but out of the box, it will get smoked by a Mugen, NTC3, Serpent, G4, on a big track.

I can only come to one conclusion about this post. This guy doesn't know much about engine tuning. There is no way in the world that you can't get enough gearing for this car with the options of pinions and spurs they have for it. "Out of the box it will get smoked" Trust me, it won't, your only going to get smoked if you can't drive, or you have poor engine tuning abilities, or a under powered engine. I had a NTC3 and after driving my r40 once, I knew I was going to sell the NTC3.

As for the clutch, I haven't had any problems, and out of the 4 guys that run the r40 at our track, not one has had a problem that they couldn't fix.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by icon

what exactly is so bad about the stock centax that would require the need to replace it with a different unit ?

icon, to be honest, nothing at all.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Jea3
I have the HPI R40, and let me tell you, I will never buy another HPI again, if this is how they handle things. After I put my R40 together, the oneway bearing in the two speed fell out. Its suppost to be pressed in. I'm still waiting two weeks later for HPI to send me a new two speed. I got lucky, and a local machine shop made a custom two speed housing for me. The shocks are junk, the clutch, throw it out and install a Mugen clutch. CVD's? Junk.

The car has no top end, and you can't get enough gearing for it. Handles like a dream, but out of the box, it will get smoked by a Mugen, NTC3, Serpent, G4, on a big track.

They are good at making you buy upgrades, but a STOCK OUT OF BOX car, its horrible on a big track like Full Throttle speedway in Kissimme Florida....
Glad I listened to people,
Old 12-04-2003, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

sounds like the problem you guys are having is the same as everyone else who is a rough on their cars or didnt set something correctly ( not really the cars fault now is it ).

Jea3: thats a clean lookin R40 . if its only the setting you are getting wrong, that doesnt mean the clutch is awful dude .

Contender: thanx, saves me 50 to 70 dollars if i dont have to buy the mugen clutch right off the bat! the design looks the same between the mugen & HPI clutch and similar to the 3D clutch from kyosho and honestly i wouldnt think HPI's material is that off.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default TRY!!!!!!!!!

MUGEN,MUGEN,MUGEN,MUGEN,MUGEN..................Get the point?
Old 12-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: TRY!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Slotmachine
MUGEN,MUGEN,MUGEN,MUGEN,MUGEN..................Get the point?
I know this is the wrong forum, but out of curiousity, how did your mugen hold up in your last encounter with a R40?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by C0NTENDER
I can only come to one conclusion about this post. This guy doesn't know much about engine tuning. There is no way in the world that you can't get enough gearing for this car with the options of pinions and spurs they have for it. "Out of the box it will get smoked" Trust me, it won't, your only going to get smoked if you can't drive, or you have poor engine tuning abilities, or a under powered engine. I had a NTC3 and after driving my r40 once, I knew I was going to sell the NTC3.

As for the clutch, I haven't had any problems, and out of the 4 guys that run the r40 at our track, not one has had a problem that they couldn't fix.
Here we go..Fast Harry saw this coming...anyways..this "guy" is stating his experience first hand and isnt saying the car is crap. Secondly this guy knows how to tune an engine and was running stock gearing on a huge track. He never stated he was a top 10 driver in the world but he is pretty good....and everyone...I mean everyone....has accidents...whether your fault or someone else's and things can break. I really cant understand why there is so much hatred for people expressing there personal experience with things. Deal with it.

Icon...the posts on the flywheel had to be ground down because they where hitting the clutchbell. Another friend also had problems with his clutch and replaced it with a Mugens. Doesnt mean all HPI's clutch setups dont work but there quality control leaves something to be desired. Just like the 2speed housing being machined wrong....that wasnt Jea3's fault....that was HPI's.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

BARNONE, the mugen is MUCH MORE durable then the R40..

but with LOTS of work, the R40 can stay together
Old 12-04-2003, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by kreidel
I really cant understand why there is so much hatred for people expressing there personal experience with things.

Hatred? I have yet to see any hatred in this thread, The guy posted his opinion about the R40, and I posted my opinion about his post, no hatred at all, just opinions. And my opinion remains the same.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All cars will break when you hit the wall...(including a Mugen)..

And just like everything else,not everything goes perfect for every owner..

The best example??

For every person that bitched on the nitro tc3 forum about the car breaking,blowing gears,gas tank problems,etc..

there were a dozen that never had ANY problems......And continue to dominate at their local track...Including me....And I saw PLENTY of cars crack against the wall(and break) when I was racing at edison(including Mugens!!)..

Its easy to complain about a car...but there's 2 sides to every story.....ESP when it comes to complaints about quality,TUNING,etc.....

Heck....I couldn't tune my RB's for 2 years...and comlained LOUDLY!!!!!! how many people read that and wouldn't buy an RB..

Guess what?..I switched fuels...NO MORE PROBLEMS!!!!

So no one on this forum is a genuis..no matter how much they open their yap and talk like they know it all.....

You want to drive an R40?...

Its a great car...stays tweak free........and handles GREAT out of the box....

yeah it needs some improvement...esp alittle less weight...but you know what?.....HPI will improve the car....in the meantime you get a car thats EASY to work on,is plenty fast,stays together,and replacemnt parts are no problems....

BTW,the CVD's are fine....

(check the MTX3 thread if you want to know about replacing front end parts)...(and I'm not saying the Mugens bad,its not...but ALL cars have weak areas)..
Old 12-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

I agree, staying off the walls help. I run in the expert class, and most of the time, walls are not a problem. The only thing I broke in Kissimmee was the shock, when 4 of us went into the right turn after the start finish line. Hard to go 4 wide there.

My clutch problems seem to be okay, after we modified it. The gearing? Give me a break, you come out to Kissimmee and hang with a Mugen or NTC3 in the straights. You won't. Best gear ratio you can get for HPI on that car is: 4.95 Just as an example the NTC3 is 4.44

As I've stated before, the handling is great, I can't say anything bad about that.

The CVD's, they could be improved.

The one way bearing, falling out of the two speed, just out of the box? Still waiting for that great customer support. That is a pressed fit, so for the bearing to fall out, that is a joke. Someone must have called in sick at HPI that day.

If I could do it all over again, I would have gone with a Mugen.