Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat >

JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat

JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat

Old 07-31-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The latest decoder (rc3) doesn't support USB (unless you ment latest version of software). The rc3 only accepts serial and TCP/IP - RJ45 connection.

I used to run an rc off the serial port with Autoscore, with no problems at all.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

From my understanding the latest software version supports AMB20, AMBrc and AMBrc3.
Also it can run USB but is not prefered or recommended.

http://www.rctiming.com/timing_systems.shtml

They also mention that some USB to serial cables dont work.see bottom of page in link below.

http://www.rctiming.com/hardware.shtml
Old 07-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CaliberX
Anyone know whats used in Europe?
In the UK bbk is very popular.
http://www.bbksoftware.com/
Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

BBK is used through out Europe and the rest of the world. It's the best software available anywhere. check out the website that's listed in the reply below.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by razzor
From my understanding the latest software version supports AMB20, AMBrc and AMBrc3.
we have recently purchased AMBrc3 and we're using LAPS FREE to run our races. connection to computer is via TCP/IP (using RJ45 Connector).

great software and it's free
Old 07-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Ah looking at my decoder now I see it does have a serial connection...I didn't even notice because we never use it. Just the USB since many new laptops don't even have a serial port anymore. Still you'd think by now the software would support USB directly instead of having to use an adapter.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Think this is the reason for it .

"AMBrc3 decoders were introduced in mid 2006 and use the same "Red" transponders as the AMBrc system. The front of the unit has an LCD screen, two buttons to edit settings, a headphone socket and a USB A Socket that is disabled at the present time. At the rear there is a power socket, 10/100 ethernet connection (RJ45), RS232, Auxiliary and loop coax connection. AMBrc3 decoders do not have a USB B connection, instead an Ethernet 10/100 network connection is provided; this means that the decoder must be powered by a separate mains adaptor. This may be seen by many users of AMBrc as a backwards step but I believe that the power requirements of the new decoder are too great for USB. Ethernet does have its advantages over USB however, a more secure connection (will not drop out if the computer goes into power saving) and allows for up to four computers to be connected at the same time. Ethernet also allows the decoder to work independently of a computer to upload lap times via AMB's mylaps live service, just plug the decoder into a adsl/cable router, enter the mylaps username/password and your away, amazing!"
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Interesting...though ours definately came with the USB active and not disabled.

Wonder which ours is. It works with the PTs, doesn't have an ethernet connection or a LCD screen on the front. It does have a USB connection, serial, and a coax.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

RC SCORING PRO

Competition scoring software is not somewhere you want to try to save money. Doug Hay's constant development and superb technical support should make the choice an obvious one.

If you can't afford it - save up until you can, it's worth every penny.

Case Closed.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
rcsp, there's only 2 things that annoy me about it, 1 is functional the other is a labelling issue. if you signed every one up and decide to change the race length for a class, you can't just go back and change the class settings. The race length is stored with the event entry - so you must know some sql to update that.
Not true ..... I just did what you say is not possible to do without knowing SQL this weekend. Entered all my drvers, setup my heats, when main time came round I checked my race lengths and my Nitro TC was set to 30 min and not the 45 min that we had discussed in our drivers meeting. I ust went into the classes tab, changed my race length to 45 and it was done. I've also done the same when we changed from 4 min oval to 5 min oval the first race day we did so.

Originally Posted by Mason
the other one is when you set up the mains, if you change the car count from what you have in the class setup - it will label the print out to "1/2 odd" instead of keeping "B MAIN" or whatever..
I really don't understand this statement. But I don't even pay attention to my main car count in the tracks tab, unless it's nitro for bump ups. I just adjust car count as need on the fly in the mains setup screen and when I print I have no problems with the printout doinf anything other than printing my main the exact way I set it up.

Mason .... maybe this was your experience with RCSP but I can tell you after running over 100 club races, a dozen or so multi day events, 3 or 4 region 12 races, and 3 ROAR nationals you will not find a better race managment software. Can you reach tech support on a cell phone any time of day? The longest I've ever waited was 15 or so minutes for a return call. I've even sent him data on the fly (via email) and resolved issues and the racers didn't even know it. Can you do any of that with Ally Cat, Autoscore, JLap or any of the other lower cost scoring alternatives. With these other alternatives you'll have to know someone localy that has experience to help you out. I'm fairly computer literate and I had no problems figuring it out on my own and a little bit of coaching from Doug.

CaliberX ...... Robert V is right, if you can't afford it right now, get one of the freewares, save your money and buy RCSP. You don't need the $1000 nationals version, yes it has all the bells and whistles, but unless you plan on trying to host a national you really don't need them all. I know Doug offers his software in a couple of packages at different price levels, have you tried talking to him about the software? You may want to hive him a call, get a demo version and try it out. That is what I did and I've never looked back. His number is ..... if you need it PM me and I'll get it to you.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Which decoder are you using?

I have the same version of AS.
I use the original style AMBrc decoder on USB and LOVE that thing...

My basic issues w/ the AUTOSCORE program -

MY Program FREEZES up if I use the feature to show the actual line up for the main, instead of the numerical order. Plus the PRINTER defaut, alway having to remember to change the paper setting from .5 " bottom margin to .25" EVERY time you go out of the program...and if you forget the program becomes a paper whore...and prints a separate sheet w/ just the event name.

I would also like to be able to change the paper size to LEGAL for short track racing so ALL the results would fit on ONE sheet.

I run into a couple other issues once in a while...but other than that, I LOVE the AUTOSCORE PRO for WINDOWS programs ease of printing to FILE, SAVING TO FILE, and retrieving results and practice lap times from file and the ability to put the stuff online.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

schurcr,

I've contacted Doug and he responded almost immediately. He did send me the demo and we have installed and will run a few fake races and check it out.

I'm pretty convinced that I want to push RC Scoring PRO for the same reasons that I would push Ozite. Its the norm, its proven, and it has the support of huge events.

The argument I am getting with a few folks in our club is that we originally started looking at updating to a more current software for 2 reasons, PT's and while demo'ing alycat, some enjoyed the computer race calling....Alycat does this, but RSCP does not (the voice thing). Doug emailed me and said he was looking to maybe add it, but was not sure.

As I said - this is a one time shot, and I am a proponent of buying the best for important equipment/software.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

RC Scoring Pro is the software that is most "active", meaning updates and bug fixes. Tech support is just a phonecall away. I don't like the user interface, some people do, it's just personal preferences. Then again I was using very old version, it may be better today.
BBK is pretty good, what I'm using now. I use an old version with limited number of drivers and heats. It's not perfect but I like the user interface better than in RC Scoring Pro.
Laps Free has been updated a lot last year. I'm thinking of changing to that.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SWTour
I use the original style AMBrc decoder on USB and LOVE that thing...

My basic issues w/ the AUTOSCORE program -

MY Program FREEZES up if I use the feature to show the actual line up for the main, instead of the numerical order. Plus the PRINTER defaut, alway having to remember to change the paper setting from .5 " bottom margin to .25" EVERY time you go out of the program...and if you forget the program becomes a paper whore...and prints a separate sheet w/ just the event name.

I would also like to be able to change the paper size to LEGAL for short track racing so ALL the results would fit on ONE sheet.

I run into a couple other issues once in a while...but other than that, I LOVE the AUTOSCORE PRO for WINDOWS programs ease of printing to FILE, SAVING TO FILE, and retrieving results and practice lap times from file and the ability to put the stuff online.
Good suggestions for AS...have you posted them on their suggestions forums? They often encorporate suggestions quite quickly.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
and if you forget the program becomes a paper whore...and prints a separate sheet w/ just the event name.

LOL, had that happen more then once. But I can't say I had any issues with the "rc" and AS.

Gadgt,

Sound like you have the rc decoder. Couple pics, my old "rc" and the rc3.
Attached Thumbnails JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat-amb-sale-ii.jpg   JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat-rc3-front.jpg   JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat-rc3-back.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.