Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Team Durango DETC410

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

tamiya grey ones are better, but you are correct that they need to be cut, the x ray ones are a little lose on the durango ball ends, the spec r ones fit perfectly as well, I use all tamiya ones, with tamiya shocks, and now fitting the 418 suspension on the car, just waiting for some parts, now that I think about it should have bought a 418, lol, but just cant get over the white diffs.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zaraz
tamiya grey ones are better, but you are correct that they need to be cut, the x ray ones are a little lose on the durango ball ends, the spec r ones fit perfectly as well, I use all tamiya ones, with tamiya shocks, and now fitting the 418 suspension on the car, just waiting for some parts, now that I think about it should have bought a 418, lol, but just cant get over the white diffs.
Yeah I may break down and just do the tamiya ones.

Ive got a 418 with about a month of racing on it that I plan on selling. Nothing wrong with the 418, just wanted to try something new. The parts support for Durango around where I live is much better than the Tamiya.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Wanting to use a battery strap vs tape anyone have any suggestions
Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Dustin
Wanting to use a battery strap vs tape anyone have any suggestions
I use this one. It works great. The alloy posts come in orange too.
lipo-battery-strap-w-alloy-posts/
Old 04-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got my kit yesterday, and i started to build it. I like how the diff came together, looks like it won't be leaking. So far i haven't attacked anything past the shocks, good things and bad things. I like how the piston is held in place, very solid and no looseness, but wow, anyone else notice how the shaft is loose? I put a green slime on the o-rings, but i am sure air will get into the shock easily! As bad as my yokomo shocks... Looks like i'm going to need to shop for some TRF shocks...
Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

We had 2 DETC410s in the Malaysian National Championship season opener yesterday racing boosted 13.5 on low-med grip asphalt.

I qualified 2nd and the other driver 6th out of 43. Unfortunately driver error (me) prevented us to take the win....

However it was a great Malaysian debut for the DETC410!

The car had so much steering that we had to maximize rear traction, followed with softening the front a little to make it a more manageable drive. Did the 2nd fastest lap, just a couple of hundredths of a sec from the fastest lap.

The car is very sensitive to setup changes that you can really feel what works and what doesn't. We found a good ballpark setup in only half a day and knew what tweaks were needed as tires wore and temps changed.

Car was mostly bone stock except for springs. No option parts were used.

Congrats to Mr. Harper for taking 8th at the pre-worlds!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

I must hand it to Elliott Harper. He really makes his DETC410 look good amongst all the world-champion drivers. At the end of the weekend he finished 8th overall.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cadman1981
I just got my kit yesterday, and i started to build it. I like how the diff came together, looks like it won't be leaking. So far i haven't attacked anything past the shocks, good things and bad things. I like how the piston is held in place, very solid and no looseness, but wow, anyone else notice how the shaft is loose? I put a green slime on the o-rings, but i am sure air will get into the shock easily! As bad as my yokomo shocks... Looks like i'm going to need to shop for some TRF shocks...
I didnt notice the shaft being loose, but since i built my shocks at the start of February they have yet to show any kind of leaking so im not worried about it.

Last edited by pyro854; 04-06-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

Make sure you build the shocks correctly with the hard plastic inserts in the shock the right way. If you put them in wrong you will get lots of shaft movement, if you build them right they are actually supported above and below the oring into the shock body and end cap, which is supported by one more bushing over the TRF shocks, so a better product.

I feel that bastardizing the car with other makers parts is a total dis-service to this car, the parts out of the box are more than capable of performing great. Doing this just confuses people that will miss out on a great out of the box kit.

Originally Posted by pyro854
Lucky you on the built diff. I have yet to see one of the kits come with it prebuilt. As for the shocks, i didnt notice the shaft being loose, but my shocks have yet to show any kind of leaking so im not worried about it.
I think he is saying that the assembly of the diff went together without any problems, it wasn't pre assembled.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rodney Racer
I think he is saying that the assembly of the diff went together without any problems, it wasn't pre assembled.
Oops, i guess i just read it too fast.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rodney Racer
Make sure you build the shocks correctly with the hard plastic inserts in the shock the right way. If you put them in wrong you will get lots of shaft movement, if you build them right they are actually supported above and below the oring into the shock body and end cap, which is supported by one more bushing over the TRF shocks, so a better product.

I feel that bastardizing the car with other makers parts is a total dis-service to this car, the parts out of the box are more than capable of performing great. Doing this just confuses people that will miss out on a great out of the box kit.

I totally agree, i want to try the car with durango parts. I will try the car box stock and let you guys know. I tripple checked the manual, the shocks are built according to 'spec'. Fully built they seem better, maybe the orings swelled up a little which removed the slack.

Anyone know what size hex is for the shock cap screws? i can't find an allen key or screwdriver that fits snug and stripped one screw...
Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

What is the length of the shock? The manual shows that the shaft is 12mm long, but the actual length?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I totally agree, i want to try the car with durango parts. I will try the car box stock and let you guys know. I tripple checked the manual, the shocks are built according to 'spec'. Fully built they seem better, maybe the orings swelled up a little which removed the slack.

Anyone know what size hex is for the shock cap screws? i can't find an allen key or screwdriver that fits snug and stripped one screw...
Shock cap and wheel hex screws are .050. Only two SAE screws in the entire kit.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What is the length of the shock? The manual shows that the shaft is 12mm long, but the actual length?
The manual and setup sheets are referring to the distance between the bottom of the shock body and the top of the eyelet. If you built your shocks so that this measures 12mm you will have enough travel. I will try to remember to measure mine tonight center to center to give you an overall length.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

I'd certainly recommend building the shocks exactly as the manual, with a 12mm shaft length. We were building Elliott's shocks in exactly this way all last year, and they were super easy to build, and importantly, build consistently.

We had a good start to our outdoor season here in the UK with the DETC410 at the BTCC event at West London. Leigh Dibble did a great job to qualify second in Pro-Stock, only being beaten by the current National Pro-Stock champion! I didn't do quite so well, not having time to prepare a wet car for the event. But my car was completely box-standard, and just a few small tweaks to the standard setup and allowed me to set some of my best times around the track.

Hope everyone is enjoying building their cars, it was great to see a couple at the track this weekend and looks like there will be many more in the coming weeks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.