7.4V 5000mah Turnigy lipo puffed up!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

7.4V 5000mah Turnigy lipo puffed up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default 7.4V 5000mah Turnigy lipo puffed up!

I was running two of these lipos in my BL summit with Novak system and one of the Lipos puffed up! Its at least my 10th run and the voltage cut off has worked fine always. I have now ordered a new lipo but dont want the same thing to happen, what might have caused this? The charger says the battery is at 4.04v, well below the 2S cut off...
Thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Lots of different things can cause puffing. High heat, out of balance, manufacturing defect etc..
Old 08-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Is there any way to bring it back to life? The charger isnt charging it due to low voltage!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nesal
Is there any way to bring it back to life? The charger isnt charging it due to low voltage!
Not safe but, here is what I have done to bring it back. If you have a charger that does all types of battery and has a LED display that shows voltage of the battery. Plug just the charger lead and not the balancing plug. Put the charger to NiMH and charge it at 1.0 amps until your battery shows above 6.0 volts but no more than 2 - 3 minutes on this charge. Once you kick the battery above this, then you can put the charger back to Lipo and ballance it. It's worked for me in the past. Hope that helps.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you attempt that, DO IT OUTSIDE AWAY FROM ANYTHING YOU CARE ABOUT!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Your lipo puffed cause you overdischarged it, 4.04v is 2.02v/cell and cells should never go below 3v/cell or 6v for a 2S.

You can try charging it as NiMh, but I would use a lower rate like 0.2 - 0.3amp so there is as little chance as possible that charging could cause more swelling. If you see it swelling more while trying to get the voltage back up, stop charging immediately and remove the lipo to somewhere it can't hurt anything if it goes off.

The lower charging rate will make the voltage come up slower and more evenly, let it charge until its comfortable over 6v. I usually try for 6.1 or 6.2v before I stop and then finish charging it as a lipo using lipo balance charge mode. You might be best not charging it at a full 1C rate thios next time too and watch it carefully while charging as a lipo for more swelling.

If you do manage to save it, its prob been damaged by dropping to that low of a voltage, so don't be surprised it isn't as strong as the other. The big ques is why the lvc did not kick in and stop. You didn't see it slow down even a little? I can see mine slowing before the lvc hits and thats when I stop. I wouldn't run again until you know why the lvc didn't work.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Toss it, and don't risk hurting someone, your self, or risk burning down your rc or house. It's a battery, its a hobby chock it up as a loss, stay safe and move on.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Your lipo puffed cause you overdischarged it, 4.04v is 2.02v/cell and cells should never go below 3v/cell or 6v for a 2S.

You can try charging it as NiMh, but I would use a lower rate like 0.2 - 0.3amp so there is as little chance as possible that charging could cause more swelling. If you see it swelling more while trying to get the voltage back up, stop charging immediately and remove the lipo to somewhere it can't hurt anything if it goes off.

The lower charging rate will make the voltage come up slower and more evenly, let it charge until its comfortable over 6v. I usually try for 6.1 or 6.2v before I stop and then finish charging it as a lipo using lipo balance charge mode. You might be best not charging it at a full 1C rate thios next time too and watch it carefully while charging as a lipo for more swelling.

If you do manage to save it, its prob been damaged by dropping to that low of a voltage, so don't be surprised it isn't as strong as the other. The big ques is why the lvc did not kick in and stop. You didn't see it slow down even a little? I can see mine slowing before the lvc hits and thats when I stop. I wouldn't run again until you know why the lvc didn't work.
Yeah I know thats whats got me most worried! I didnt notice anything to be honest...

What is the proper way to discard a Lipo battery?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

a few things....if you are going to try the above I would recommend in a fire proof sack, or watching very closely. If you are going to throw it away you need to discharge it as much as possible and then put it in a bucket of high conc. salt water that will discharge it to 0v. Then it is safe to throw it away.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

best way to dispose of it is throwing in your neighbors pool
Old 08-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Tech Lord

For discarding, what's now recommended is to discharge one to 0V using a auto tail light bulb. It can puff doing this, so be careful.

Once at zero volts, cut leads off and put in the trash. More discussion here -

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=disposal
Old 08-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

How old is the good lipo?You don't want to mix a new lipo with and older lipo.One can have higher internal resistance than the other and can do the same thing to the older battery.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Tech Lord

I've had to 'rescue' several lipos from a low voltage condition, but all were new and it was a pretty good assumption that they were prob not damaged. I don't think its a big deal trying with yours thats been overdischarged while still almost new. Just do it where its safe and watch it closely.

I'd try to revive it. I'd also have no prob running it with another lipo that didn't have probs like your other. First run out, stop at 5 min and check lipo temps, if this one is noticeably hotter than the other, then I would replace it. I'd still use this one by itself , but in something else. As long as it doesn't swell more when discharging/charging its useable.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
I've had to 'rescue' several lipos from a low voltage condition, but all were new and it was a pretty good assumption that they were prob not damaged. I don't think its a big deal trying with yours thats been overdischarged while still almost new. Just do it where its safe and watch it closely.

I'd try to revive it. I'd also have no prob running it with another lipo that didn't have probs like your other. First run out, stop at 5 min and check lipo temps, if this one is noticeably hotter than the other, then I would replace it. I'd still use this one by itself , but in something else. As long as it doesn't swell more when discharging/charging its useable.
+1 i have revived a few lipo's on my charger using the auto-lipo setting.I also put it on nicd setting for about a minute or two and watch it carefully until it has at least over 6 volts in the pack,then you can start charging it in the lipo setting again.Hope this helped.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:42 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys! Will let you know how it goes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.