Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Pros Vs. Cons of Rubber Vs. Foam tires >

Pros Vs. Cons of Rubber Vs. Foam tires

Pros Vs. Cons of Rubber Vs. Foam tires

Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Pros Vs. Cons of Rubber Vs. Foam tires

Just wanting to know your opinions, old friend of mine a long time told me that foam tires on a nitro touring car were the way to go, he said that they provide allot more traction than rubber tires. I have been using foam tires ever since and from the get go i wasnt real crazy about them. they just drive weird, and dont seem to hook up at all. Do keep in mind i just run mine in a parking lot i dont run on any prepared surfaces at all.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hehe, trying those foams out that were in the package you bought? If you are, those were for running on Revelation Raceway in Ontario, which is super sticky, high traction. They wont hook up in parking lots at all, as they are way too hard.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Tech Addict

i knew something was up with em when they make almost as much traction as the hard drift tires lol. i am very used to those hpi Rally tires though, the track i race oval at uses those as the spec tire i know what those will hook up on. And what is up with the mess the foam tires make???? that is horrible lol.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Tech Addict

i did put the one way in it though and that is just to fun the great part about it is once your get the rearend hung out you can just nail the throttle wide open and it holds its drift pretty nicely.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Tech Addict

in a parking lot where there's oil and junk from cars on the surface, nothing will grip.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Tech Addict

foam tyres rock for nitro
Old 04-05-2007, 03:26 AM
Tech Elite

Have been thinking very hard, but I can't come up with any pro's for rubber tires at all.....
Old 04-05-2007, 03:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

for parking lot racing you need like 35 shore foams to hook up. permanent tracks will need 37- 45 depending on conditions.

rubber tires just plain stink! you're stuck with a given diameter, the glue sometimes degrades and the rubber shreds from the rim (which is fun), and they cost more and get less runtime than foams.

once you get the right compound foams you will be happy. try 35 rears and 37/40 front's for parking lot bashing.