• 1 Post By ExRCRacer
  • 1 Post By Perrydog
  • 1 Post By MDawson

pit trailer builds

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default pit trailer builds

Looking for suggestions on trailer size and build ideas for the inside. Maybe some pics to help!
Old 10-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by GaDawg
Looking for suggestions on trailer size and build ideas for the inside. Maybe some pics to help!
As much as your budget & tow vehicle will allow. I think a 16' is about right with AC and room to mount a generator on the front. Best to walk a trailer lot and "envision" the layout with what you have and go from there. A 12'er might look large enough empty, but once you add tables/chairs/tools/shelving/coolers/cabinets (you get the idea)... you'll be wishing you went larger. I had that issue when I bought my real race car trailer, 24'er looked perfect, until i started loading it up and realized I should have gone 28'.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

A guy at my track got a 7 x 5 ft trailer and made a little plywood box on it with a door and small window ac . I went and looked at and was like WOW it was the perfect one man trailer. I will try to get a pic. I never would have guessed it looked like it did on the inside.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

2019 Rock Solid Enclosed Trailer - Ultimate PIT Trailer!
DennyP likes this.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

I had a buddy in my previous RC life who built a trailer out of a small boat trailer. Biggest problem was that, being made out of wood, it was just a big box which absolutely KILLED the gas mileage on his little Chevy S-10... Good thing it was the V-6 model... Even with that, we almost didn’t make it all the way up the Sunshine Skyway bridge on a trip to a race in Pinellas Park! He later sold it and got a deal on a small fiberglass trailer which was MUCH more aerodynamic, lol.

So yeah, if you build your own, remember to design the front so that you’re not basically towing a wall behind you.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:48 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default #Truth

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
So yeah, if you build your own, remember to design the front so that you’re not basically towing a wall behind you.
This rings true even with V-Nose enclosed trailers like the one I had. I pulled it with a 2019 Dodge Durango - 6200lb tow rating. The enclosed trailer with all the shit in it was around, meh... 2500lbs tops? I got 4mpg towing that thing up and down the highway to the track. When I decided to sell it and go with a 23ft. Jayco Camper - I now get 12mpg on average, and I'm pulling around 5900lbs loaded up. Plus, it's way more comfortable... way more functional... and let me tell ya, it is NICE to have running water on site at the track with potable water tanks.

I'm never racing any other way again LOL. I can show up the day before, get in practice with hardly anyone there, and roll out of bed on race day, cook me some breakfast and watch everyone coming in scrambling to set up their stuff. Best way to race my friend. At the end of the day, my breakdown consists of rolling up my power awning, bringing the generator and tables inside, and leaving LOL. --- Trailers are fun to build like the one I did, but man, campers are the way to go if you can swing it.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, the fiberglass camper (yeah, I should have said “camper”, not “trailer” ) was much nicer to tow, and had one of those overhead A/C units, conveniently powered by the 5000 watt Honda Generator that traveled with us. Yeah, our race team pitted in style. Man, I miss those days!
Old 10-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Tech Rookie

I'll take some pics of my neighbor's trailer/setup tonight...It's where I'm rebuilding my B64, and it's an AWESOME space. I'll get the details.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GaDawg
i googled rc pit trailers to get ideas when i was building mine. i ended up going very simple - 6x12 single axle lightweight trailer (950lbs empty) i pulled all the wood walls covering the framing and ran electrical outlets along one side and along the ceiling (for LED shop lights), insulated the walls with 1" foam board, then insulated the ceiling with 2" of foam board, installed a fan-tastic fan and covered with luan. i built a small box/bench up front and covered it with speaker box carpet. this houses the converter/charger for shore power along with a 12v battery backup and storage for other random things. i used stall matts to help insulate the floor. alot of trailers have a rear ramp, but i opted for barn doors to make it easier to open/close and get into tight spots. you dont have to spend a bunch of money to make a functional clean layout.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Biz73 likes this.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Old 02-18-2020, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Your mailbox is full.

Originally Posted by Perrydog