Wiki Posts
Search

Not your typical "which engine" thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Answer-RC
Im suprised at your thoughts about the Picco - was it the P3 B - it is considered as pretty good over here.
I'm not sure what motor he is talking about but at 85 bux it is NOT a P3.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

To be honest I cant place any Picco mill at $85.
I was thinking the http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/12591
Old 09-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm curious, what is the reason for your question?
Originally Posted by blowpopracer
Ok guys, lets start by asking all to not throw tomato's at me for asking this.

What I want to know is what is the lowest powered .21 or bigger engine that you have driven!!! I dont want opinions about what is the, smoothest or most powerful mill on the market. I really wanna try running what some would coin as a dog of a motor.

So lets hear about which engine you have had that was the least powerful motor you ever drove. Then tell me a little about the reliability of that engine.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
I'm curious, what is the reason for your question?

To be honest the reason is that I completely suck as a driver. My throttle finger works like a light switch full on or full off. I am trying to work on that as I know it is crucial to being a better driver. In the meantime I have been thinking for quite some time now of buying a now power mill to help me till I get my finger to cooperate. I currently have a falcon .21 and a jp mod b5 both of which are smooth engines but have a little more power than I am looking for which is why I am looking for a no power, wont get out of its own way engine. Thats the only reason.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OS .21 VG or Force .21. I think the Force will last longer as the VG has only lasted 1 gallon each on 2 new pistons and sleeves and now with a pinch is starting to stall again and low compression at half a gallon.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Lord

To be honest the reason is that I completely suck as a driver. My throttle finger works like a light switch full on or full off. I am trying to work on that as I know it is crucial to being a better driver. In the meantime I have been thinking for quite some time now of buying a now power mill to help me till I get my finger to cooperate. I currently have a falcon .21 and a jp mod b5 both of which are smooth engines but have a little more power than I am looking for which is why I am looking for a no power, wont get out of its own way engine. Thats the only reason.
How about a low power, instead of no power option. RB S3 is a fantastic motor with decent but not huge power. Plus you get Novarossi quality and longevity at budget motor price. If it still makes too much power just go to a smaller restrictor, lower nitro, softer clutch springs and/or go up a tooth on the clutch bell to tame it down. Then is you find you need more power as your driving and set-up improve just reverse all those things. For even more power, the motor responds very well to being modded.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

I have thought long and hard about a S3. Only a couple things about it worries me. Main thing is will it be that much less power than my jp mod or falcon. I know both of those motors are super smooth but are just a little more than i want right now. I dont wanna spend money on another motor only to find out it was very comparable "power wise" to what I already have.

The only other thing that bothers me about the s3 is that a good friend of mine had one and it lost its pinch after only about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon. Lots of other guys(atleast 20 of em) I run with have RB motors and they havent had a problem with them so I am sure this is just a bad one in the bunch sort of thing. What upsets me is that my friend sent in the engine to RB have it fixed and they declined repair as they said it was something my friend did that caused it. I know this guy well and he knows what he is doing and I virtually guarantee that nothing he did caused the premature failure of this motor! I am very finicky when it comes to service and just that one issue was enough to make me not want to buy a RB product! I am not a bi*chy customer but if they screwed my friend over why would I want to buy their product no matter how good it is. Just my .02
Old 09-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I agree with wingracer. A low power crappy engine is not going to help you drive better. You need to learn set up, and throttle control, and you need to remain calm. Practice the throttle with the radio off, just smoothly squeeze, ..........and you can get control of your car/buggy with tires, shock oils, shock positions, clutch, diff oils. Etc, etc
Old 09-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

sh .21

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/147738.asp

its super slow. like on the straight away people can catch up to me slow down go around me and then pass me like im just sitting still lol. but it helps you learn the track if your a noob like me. but next week i well have my rb s7 so i should be able to keep up with some people now lol
Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

The problem with both the .21 and .30 VG is the use of a Nikasil coated liner rather than chrome.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Have you considered just de-tuning one of your existng engines? It would save you the expense of a new engine and teach you a little about engine/radio tuning. You have several options, you could put a restrictor in the carb and/or run it a little rich. Or, you could set your radio so it doesn't open the throttle all the way. Then when you're ready for more power, it's just a couple adjustments away.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Just read your reason for this..

Go 3 Port "BLUE HEAD" is excellent, ran this when I started racing again after a break. Reasonable run times and solid. Its just a good simple engine.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

OS .21VG..... Very gutless motor.

A friend told me that VG stands for vagina.... After using the motor, now I know why

Got maybe a gallon on it, I've been told they're at best a 2-3 gallon motor if ran a bit rich.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Lord

Just de-tune the motors you have. For instance, the JP has a Novarossi carb so find a 5.4mm insert from a Nova .12 motor. Drop to 16% nitro. Not only will those two things reduce power but your runtime will be crazy. Softer clutch springs and/or heavier shoes can make the most baddass motor on the planet feel like a pig. Go up a tooth on the clutch bell.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
Have you considered just de-tuning one of your existng engines? It would save you the expense of a new engine and teach you a little about engine/radio tuning. You have several options, you could put a restrictor in the carb and/or run it a little rich. Or, you could set your radio so it doesn't open the throttle all the way. Then when you're ready for more power, it's just a couple adjustments away.

I have richened and limited the throttle travel but I have not played with restrictors. Thought about buying a really small restrictor maybe a 5.5 and trying it then. Will running a restrictor take away some of the low end? I know limiting throttle travel only takes away the top and what I want is a engine that has very little punch off the line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.