Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor choice for a TB-01 Rally

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Motor choice for a TB-01 Rally

I've been looking for a good quick motor to replace the stock 540(27?turns). I want something that is fairly low maintenance(I don't think I'd mind rebuilding occasionally, just not every week). I'm looking at modifieds 16-19turn, double wind. Allthough that's not for any good reason in particular, just seemed like a happy middleground for power/reliability. I don't mind spending a little $$, and need to get an ESC, and a 'good' battery pack while I'm at it.
Thanks for your help
Old 01-13-2003, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

You're in the right range for motors - it think 15 or 16 is a better bet than a 19 though.

Get a motor that's rebuildable - good choices are the Orion Pro BB range, or the Trinity Speedgems Pro - you'll find a few others around, but avoid motors who's price is "too good to be true".

ESC - get a quality brand (Novak, LRP, GM, Futaba), which is rated a couple of turns below what you'll be using - so look at something with a 13-14 turn limit.

Cells - Matched packs are best - go for Sanyo or branded cells, rather than "mystery" cells - you'll probably be ok with 2000 NiCD's for bashing, but the top cells now are 3000 or 3300 NiMH. The NiMH's need a peak charger that is "safe" to use with them. If you don't have a peak charger, get one, you'll get a better charge into the cells and you won't risk cooking them.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default I just ordered some goodies!

I got the bearing sets, a sanyo 1900 NiCD batt pack, 15-25T(odd) pinion gears, am Orion 15X2 Havok Motor with replacement brushes. a DuraTrax Mod/Rev ESC for 12T+ motors.
I'll have some fun putting this all in, hopefully I can mod the stock motor mount to adjust for different pinion/ spur gears!

All for $140

I'll probably get an even faster, rebuildable motor and a better batt pack later this year if I find some local competition closer than Austin.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

There should be enough adjustment in the TB01 motor mount as standard to run any sensible gear ratio.

PS just to check, you did get 0.6mod pinions, not 48dp or anything else?
Old 01-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Ouch

Yeah, I got 48 pitch.**Tower said the TB-o1 gears were .4 48 pitch, here's a copy & paste from their site, and a link

This is a Pair of Pinion Gears for Tamiya TB-01 Chassis Vehicles.

SPECS: Pitch: 0.4 M (48P metric)

Tower hobbies

I wasn't planning on using them unless the three supplied spur(big wheel?) 55T isn't geared wide enough. . Pitch is the angle of the gears where they mesh, right? Or is it tooth spacing, or a combination of both? The plastic engine mount in my kit only had two screw holes, not the 'moon' required for adjusting the distance the motor sits away fromthe gear. Nothing a few minutes with my dremel can't fix.

Last edited by Janders; 01-15-2003 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Oh dear - tower have it wrong

0.4 is the metric equivalent of 64 pitch (those two will mesh) - but the TB has 0.6 gears as standard - which LOOK like 48 pitch, but don't mesh right. Pitch is tooth size.

You can fit 0.4 gears as an option on the TB (like the evolution version has).
Old 01-24-2003, 11:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sosige,
Yup- the 48p don't come close to fitting(without clicking). I'm glad you covinced me to get a 15X2 motor, this thing is fast-even with the stock gearing. I was going to get the 19T pinion to fit the 58T spur, but at the speed and acceleration it runs at now, I think that would be a downgrade. I've got the aluminum TG10 ssteering rack on order. All I have to do now is soften the suspension and fix the understeer
Old 07-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Tech Regular

Default Bringing up dead thread

I'm also about to get a TB01 rally. But it's the NSX onroad version.

I heard that onroad gears that come with the NSX strip very easily and what not... I was wondering if people could tell me what I need and what I don't need to upgrade... before I strip my gears please?
Old 07-07-2003, 04:17 PM
Tech Addict

Hey,
My girlfriend is getting me a used TB-o1 rally off e-bay. I am in Argentina so it is hard for me to get parts. tHE kIT # is 58271. It comes with the 540 and the ESC. I mainly want the car to just mess with in the yard...Jump stuff, Chase the dogs and cats... I am going to get a new battery (7.2 v, 3000mah Venom Racing) if you guys have any good sug. please tell me also. But I am also wondering what breaks easily on it so that I can tell her what parts to get, before she sends me the car. It that engine also good and low maintenance. I have never had a 10th electric car before. (1 Micro and many Nitros cars) So I don't really know what I need. The guy claims that the car is stock, perfact condition and has only been run 2 times...He says that he didn't have time to play with it.
Thanks for the help and sorry that this is so. Here is the link to the exact car. longhttp://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rc/electric/110scale/tb01/58271.html
Old 08-03-2003, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only part (or parts) that are easy to break are the shock tower, steering linkage and the gearbox. That's it!. Everything else is made and build tough.

Upgrade the optional aluminum steering linkage. It is worth every penny!