Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The death of my RC8. And rebirth???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Well, I like it, but I never had the intent to keep it nitro. I have already slowly been getting my conversion parts together, was just gonna run it till it died.....lol. We'll see, though, hopefully it's not dead and I get to run it a bit more.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Wow...if the trajectory it took requires you post such a zoomed-out map, I'd be stoked there isn't more chassis damage

Like was mentioned, check the conrod.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

That's kind of what I was figuring. I was fully expecting a taco when I finally got to it. I think it hit at a decent angle to where the diff. screws and front plate seem to have taken most of the damage.

And yeah, I have a 21" monitor also. Next zoom in is too close, won't show the entire path.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the tank cracked and dumped the fuel pretty fast with those holes and lost pressure. It would have run through what was in the case already and maybe cleared the fuel line. The motor is probably still good as it most likely didn't scream that long on its lid.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marooko
My first 1/8th scale, first buggy, first nitro. Got it here on trade, tuned it for my area, replaced a part or two and have had a blast. As mentioned in the Associated RC8 Buggy thread, I had cleaned this over the last couple of days and added a few upgrades to it. I went yesterday and picked up some Byron's Gen2 and was ready for tuning today. I was taking this bad boy to the track, it was finally open!!

I'm up at the LHS and realize I left my battery box cover. I figured, meh, I'll be fine......right. A buddy there takes control to help tune, opens up the throttle a bit, goes over a small dip and the battery flies out. I didn't tell him the cover was off. You all know what happened next.......

Before I crashed it, it was pretty and clean.

As of about 2 hours ago...

Two holes in it?! WT......?!

Only ripped one or two out, that's all.

Another angle.

Speaking of angles, that front end looks a little twisted. (I took the shock off, no issue there.)

Decent nick in the chassis, not sure how bad it's bent.

Not sure if you can tell but, that plate is bent.

Check out the amount of stress those holes took.

Looks to be a little twisted, what do you think?

I know it has a slight curve to it, but I don't think it's usually like this. Is this obviously bent? I don't see stress marks in the chassis.

New diff. case anyone?

One more part added to the list.

So this is the path it took, Approx. 530 ft. give or take 10 or so.

The bummer for me was that I didn't even get to see, or hear it hit. I chased after it but, it was freaking w i d e open. I'm guess at least 45-50mph, 30% nitro. Lost site of it, heard it screaming.....then silence. It landed about 3-4 feet from point of impact. There was a splash of fuel on the ground and wall where it hit, and a big puddle where it lay, broken....beaten.......almost lifeless.

But she'll be back...she'll come back to life. You'll see.

So really, on a more serious note, how bad is that chassis bent? I can't tell as this is my first one, so I don't really remember how it looked.
OMG! Did you kick him in the nuts?!

Just saying....
Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by morkendi
the tank cracked and dumped the fuel pretty fast with those holes and lost pressure. It would have run through what was in the case already and maybe cleared the fuel line. The motor is probably still good as it most likely didn't scream that long on its lid.
It never flipped, just ran away. Hopefully it's still good, I'd like to drive nitro a little more before I convert it.

Originally Posted by hookem34
OMG! Did you kick him in the nuts?!

Just saying....
You know, had I told him it was off, I might be angry with him. I didn't though, and he didn't see it. Totally my fault, I think. But yeah, I'll give him some crap though, for sure. lol.

I was looking at it a little more and I think the arm pics are bent and the plate at the back of the front diff. as well. At least my Slash was fun to run in the tacky/muddy track. ha. Cleaning time for that now.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Yup never run your kits period unsafe. These kits move very fast it could be a weapon and a possible law suit. Live and learn
Old 01-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
oh, yea sorry i forgot but like i said its really important to have a thin rubber band around the carb thats what i was telling him.
no problem, just pointing out the inconsistencies.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had this happen with one of my RC10GT's. maximum carnage.

glad no one took it in the ankle!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

That's sad but at least no one got hurt

You may need to buy another used one and keep the crashed one for parts.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

I'm in the process of looking for a chassis now, but with the thought of a conversion in my mind, I may wait to do that. The chassis doesn't look as bad as I thought it was, so I may replace the parts and deal with it for a little while. I mainly got it to try nitro out, I don't know that this is gonna be my nitro car, if i decide to keep one.

I looks like it hit at a decent enough angle to where the chassis didn't take the brunt of the force/damage. We'll see though, the parts will be replaced first, then we'll check fit-up. Then it will be decided, new nitro chassis, or conversion chassis? Dun dun DUN!!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

speaking of the throttle rubber band, what is a good way to test this to make sure it is strong enough to pull the servo?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by BradS
speaking of the throttle rubber band, what is a good way to test this to make sure it is strong enough to pull the servo?
Turn on the electronics, fully open the throttle with the radio and then turn off the receiver switch. The rubber band should be strong enough to fully close the carb
Old 01-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

I hope some of you learn from my lesson. Although I knew about it, I was in a hurry to get it going, and I ended up forgetting little, but extremely important things. I won't be doing that again any time soon. haha
Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Just looked at some pictures of a chassis I might buy. The seller supplied a profile shot of it and I compared it to mine. My chassis is totally f'ed. I knew it was bent, i just didn't realize how bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.