Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XXX-S hop-ups!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by jkerr0043
I'm not sure on carpet because I've never run it. If you're running rubber tires, I'd say start with a 6.8 to 7.0 and go from there.
Thanks for the tip. What's your setup for a larger asphalt track? Is switching over to a 64 pitch really worth it?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I run 48 pitch just because I'm too damn cheep to buy all the 64 pitch pinions I'll need I know they're quieter and you get a much finer selection of gear ratios. But 48 pitch seems to work fine for me. My car is as quiet as can be.

Large asphault setup for that motor is low 6 gearing up to 5.75 depending on how technical the track is and temp. I run 767's and heavier springs than the stock one. How heavy depends on how I'm gearing and how hot it is out.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 07-16-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

here's the rears
looks just like the towers i had. whats the diff in these from the old ones?
Old 07-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

I'm actually set up with the black belt too. I'll be anxiously trying out the new belt. Does it cut down on the skipping too? I hate the normal noise that comes from the brake skipping, but from what I understand, its a fact of life with this car and it deosn't affect performance.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Honestly I don't see much of a difference either from his first ones. But Ben says there are some slight changes in them to strengthen them and a few of the mounting holes that aren't stock holes are in different places.

You'll still get the skipping belt with the black belt. I normally don't notice it at all because I normally run with a one way and don't use any brakes. But, lately I've been playing with spool setups since the Reedy race and have been using more brake.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Why doesnt Team Losi make a carbon fiber chassis that is flat not like a tub. Almost the same as the TC3 carbon fiber chassis but for the XXX-S. Alot of people would get it cause they want their car lighter and cooler looking
Old 07-14-2004, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

if you get the XXX-S G+ you will be set it is like the FT for the TC3!

IMHO you would just be better off selling your Losi for a FT TC3

sorry i just had to say that.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

The XXXS dosen't use a CF chassis for a couple reasons. One was already mentioned, totally enclosed drive train. You loose that when you go to a plate chassis. Also, the G+ chassis is next to impossible to tweek. Plate chassis cars have to constantly be checked to make sure they're tweeked porperly. And a good hit on the boards and all of a sudden you're tweeked again. A lot of "hop-up" parts are just for show and will actually slow you down. If that's what you're looking for you can get all the red aluminum you want from Trinity/Matt Francis or Dynamite. If you're looking for things to actually improve your car, all you need is the black belt kit, and all the tuning option parts such as different castor blocks, rear hubs, springs, etc... Maybe some ceramic bearings. Look at most of the factory guys, thye're not running any of that bling stuff on thier cars.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

i'm just saying i love the XXX-S i dont want to sell it.
I see what you mean The chassis will flex more and it will get messed up more than what it is now. I see

Still it would look cool though
Old 07-14-2004, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Kinda like this This is a pic of the XXXS prototype. They use plate chassis a lot of the time when doing prototypes because it's cheaper to produce and easier to bolt on different parts during testing.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by TL_XXX-S_racer
Why doesnt Team Losi make a carbon fiber chassis that is flat not like a tub. Almost the same as the TC3 carbon fiber chassis but for the XXX-S. Alot of people would get it cause they want their car lighter and cooler looking
In addition to what Jon just reposted and what I posted earlier in the thread, you probably won't save very much, if any, weight by going to a carbon fiber chassis. In fact, IMO other manufacturers use the double-deck carbon fiber chassis because it's MUCH easier to design and engineer, and it obviously works well too. I guarantee you a lot more work went into designing the xxxs chassis (or even the tc3 chassis to a lesser extent) than any other touring car currently offered. Not only does the molded graphite work great, it's also cheaper to produce than carbon fiber, which is one reason why Losi's and Associated's cars are typically less expensive than those offered by Xray, HPI, Tamiya, etc.

Here's something all you newbies might find interesting. Losi was the pioneer of the competition-level plastic/molded graphite chassis back in the early to mid 90's. At the time, well before anyone started making R/C touring cars, all of the top of the line electric off road cars used either carbon fiber or aluminum chassis. Losi started producing a budget entry level buggy and truck that had a chassis made out of the "stiffizel" plastic. Originally, the plan was to only use these chassis on their budget models because they were cheaper to produce than carbon fiber or aluminum. However, shortly after they hit the market all the team drivers for Losi started using the plastic chassis because they found that it simply worked better. These guys could run anything they wanted and they chose plastic over fancier, more expensive materials. So Losi then started producing their top of the line kits with stiffizel, and then not long afterward improved it with the graphite composite mix. Associated followed suit when they released the b2 and t2.

So, to sum up, there are a lot of advantages molded graphite has over carbon fiber, but very few (if any) that carbon fiber has over molded graphite.

Last edited by mwcet8k; 07-14-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

The JR2/JRT. I had a JR2 back in the day. Just to clear up what I said about it being cheaper to produce a CF prototype, it's cheaper to make prototypes from CF because they don't have to make a mold for a plastic or Graphite impregnated plastic at an astronomical cost just to find out that design didn't work and have to scrap it. Once they have a good design and a mold made, it's much cheaper to produce the molded chassis.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jkerr0043
[B]Kinda like this This is a pic of the XXXS prototype.

Is that a current prototype?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

I would love to have that prototype that was in that picture.
I heard that Team Losi might come out with another Touring Car. Is that true? A guy saw Todd Hodges car when it flipped over and saw a carbon fiber flat chassis and the batteries near the center of the car. Heres what the guy said. (This is not me talking)

I was at SoCal raceway last night and I thought it was funny to see Todd Hodge and Gil Losi Jr there on a practice day. Well while I was practicing on the track the car flipped over right in front of the driver’s stand to reveal they were testing a little more than some new parts. When it flipped I got a glimpse of the chassis and it wasn’t the regular plastic tub, it was a carbon fiber chassis with the batteries in the center and the motor toward the center of the car. I’d say they are testing an entirely new chassis. They were very secretive hiding behind pit bags in the corner.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Tech Champion

To answer both questions, no this is not a current prototype. It's the original one they used to develop the XXXS. The "New Prototype" TL_XXX-S_racer is refering to was just something they were testing. Infact from what I've heard, it was the car in the picture I posted that they'd made some modifications to. Of corse Losi, along with everyone else, are testing new things to eventually come out with a new car. They'd be crazy not to. That dosen't mean they even have a plan for one. Companies never stop doing testing and prototyping. Most of the stuff they come up with and test don't come anywhere near production. It's the same with all the manufacturers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.