Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by WisdomRacing
I know what you're saying, but how are the current rules "more then it has to be"? The people on my end are used to tight rules and lots of competition. That's what desert racing is made of. I think the more regulation, the better...the only thing that has really changed is the allowing of lipo and locking the tires...which seem pretty reasonable. I still feel like adding weight to compensate is a very reasonable rule, but no one here seems to share my opinion.
The way I see it, and got jumped on in the other thread for saying so, is that the idea of running them pretty much as they came out of the box keeps costs down and eliminates the trick of the week stuff - LiPO being this week's trick.
But since the stock ESC does not have a loqw voltage cutoff it seems problematic allowing LiPOs as you'll have folks getting frustrated for two reasons: either they have to go out and spend $100+ on a pack to be competitive (or feel as if they are being), and have guys poofing LiPOs because of the lack of LVCO and dropping out.
And thus, since the stock electronics were designed and intended to be run with a normal NiMH pack - opening it up to any such upgrades just opens the pandora's box of improvements and the class will be on the same slippery slope as literally every other class in RC.

You want to grow a new class (and attract newbies into racing) = make it cheap and affordable.
Want to kill a new class = turn it into the same thing as the rest of the hobby.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WisdomRacing
I know what you're saying, but how are the current rules "more then it has to be"? The people on my end are used to tight rules and lots of competition. That's what desert racing is made of. I think the more regulation, the better...the only thing that has really changed is the allowing of lipo and locking the tires...which seem pretty reasonable. I still feel like adding weight to compensate is a very reasonable rule, but no one here seems to share my opinion.
We really are talking about two different situations. If there is a group of racers that want a true spec class for the car I would run if they were showing up on a consistent basis. The situation right now is there are racers grabbing these because they are fun and there are those who are showing up at the track with these wanting to race for the first time. That's were I am saying to keep it simple. Pegasus has sold well over 120 of these and only a few have made it into the hands of those who race regularly. The others were sold to non racers and they are showing up at the track wanting to race.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Here's how you get new people in...don't forget how it feels to BE a new racer...or an old racer getting back into it. It's a fun class. Keep it that way.

I would rather get beat by a new guy with a 3-cell brushless and holeshots than have him get turned away. You gotta get the people in the door and racing. They'll eventually get what they need, because people want to fit in...and they will fit in.

Set some reasonable an simple rules, don't be a hair-splitting a-hole about a few ounces and don't turn ANYONE away, no matter the rules -- and don't make the race about anything but a good time. No prizes, no trophies, nothing but a smile and a pat on the back...the rest will take care of itself. There are plenty of other classes for people to be picky about. The most important rule it to not be a hyper-competitive jerk-off in an RTR class.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I wouldn't think this motor and ESC combo would over discharge a Lipo unless you run very long heats and mains. I run an Orion 3200, Checkpoint 19 Turn, and GTX (no cutoff) in my Mod X6 and Mod XXXT. We run five minute qualifiers and have been running 6 minute mains. I haver never taken even half of the charge from the Lipo. I can add a Novak cutoff to the ESC but have never seen the need. I ran the same combo in a NASTRUCK touring chassis rubber tire class on carpet oval last winter and never got lower than half charge with this same combo there either.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Here's how you get new people in...don't forget how it feels to BE a new racer...or an old racer getting back into it. It's a fun class. Keep it that way ~ but keep it simple, and don't price anyone out of the class.

Guys say all sorts of things as far as not turning anyone away, but they're also the first ones that change their tune when they get tired of getting railed on each and every week.

If you don't want to make or enforce rules - then call it a Fun Run night, turn off the lap counter, cut the entry fees, and don't give trophies or prizes.

Racing is racing and racing has rules, and while people take up this hobby to have fun they aren't racing if they aren't interested in winning (or at least having a shot at it) - so eliminating the motivating factor of winning no longer makes it racing, that's just bashing.

The most important rule it to not ruin a RTR class by being a hyper-spending jerk-off.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
I wouldn't think this motor and ESC combo would over discharge a Lipo unless you run very long heats and mains. I run an Orion 3200, Checkpoint 19 Turn, and GTX (no cutoff) in my Mod X6 and Mod XXXT. We run five minute qualifiers and have been running 6 minute mains. I haver never taken even half of the charge from the Lipo. I can add a Novak cutoff to the ESC but have never seen the need. I ran the same combo in a NASTRUCK touring chassis rubber tire class on carpet oval last winter and never got lower than half charge with this same combo there either.

Yeah, had a guy at our track last winer said sorta the same thing - actually kept proposing that he could run all the qualis and mains on the same charge - but then again he wasn't running but about half of the laps of the leaders and eventually starting puffing up and poofing packs all over the place.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldschoolracer
Here's how you get new people in...don't forget how it feels to BE a new racer...or an old racer getting back into it. It's a fun class. Keep it that way ~ but keep it simple, and don't price anyone out of the class.

Guys say all sorts of things as far as not turning anyone away, but they're also the first ones that change their tune when they get tired of getting railed on each and every week.

If you don't want to make or enforce rules - then call it a Fun Run night, turn off the lap counter, cut the entry fees, and don't give trophies or prizes.

Racing is racing and racing has rules, and while people take up this hobby to have fun they aren't racing if they aren't interested in winning (or at least having a shot at it) - so eliminating the motivating factor of winning no longer makes it racing, that's just bashing.

The most important rule it to not ruin a RTR class by being a hyper-spending jerk-off.

What class are you going to run your slash in? You previously posted that your truck is fully upgraded with a brushless system....
Old 06-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't think he's gonna race his Slash, not with us anyways. He just likes to give advice.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just for reference, after a 6 minute heat with stock everything, my lipo took in over 1700 mah. To quote Turbo Joe, "These things are thirsty!"
Old 06-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No answer, I guess thats a first for Oldschooler.

Anyway, I'll be picking up my Slash soon and hopefully all the rules can be defined....
Old 06-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Might be a stupid question but has anybody compared several configurations of Slashs on the track to see how they would rate?

Maye that would be a better starting point to determine if any, or at least how much, of this discussion is necessary.

To be honest I really don't care how the rules get written since I do not own a Slash and probably won't for a while but I have been following this thread since it's inception. I am just trying to eliminate some of the hostilities in this thread and hopefully prevent any bad feelings from affecting the track.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just talked to Robert. He says the way he would like to see it run is:

Stock power plant
Tires: Open

Lipo: Have everyone interested in running and come to an agreement in person.

He also wants to run his Losi Desert Truck with us.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Francis M.
No answer, I guess thats a first for Oldschooler.

Anyway, I'll be picking up my Slash soon and hopefully all the rules can be defined....
It was a little hard to reply quickly as you suggested since it could have surely been noted under my avatar that I was NOT online, but if you were paying attention you would have known.

Personally I've been running mine in an open class, and often against regular 1/10th racers.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ckaspar
Might be a stupid question but has anybody compared several configurations of Slashs on the track to see how they would rate?
Yes, actually - and there are huge performance differences and benefits by adding things as simple as a LiPO pack.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by stitchy
I don't think he's gonna race his Slash, not with us anyways. He just likes to give advice.
So are you just trying to stir the pot, or add to the drama?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.