Wiki Posts
Search

Female Participation Rates in RC Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
At SoCal Raceway before it closed. There was a gal that raced quite a bit. She raced Sportsman Stock and was a pretty good driver too. She always made the A Main and finish in the top 5. Her yellow car always had the IN&Out Logos on it. Her name is Tracy (last name Howard I think). She could drive that touring car and placed well. I don't know if she still races or not but thought I'd chime in on this one.
Ya, that would be my girlfriend. Shes off-and-on with her racing (due to work) but can definitely wheel around a car. I'm getting her into the JBRL Series this year with a few TC club races in between. If she can just get some time in she'll do really well.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I don't think anyone would argue that we would like to join us in the love for this hobby. As the line blurs between the sexes we will get more and more into the hobby, hopefully we won't lose any men to scrapbooking, etc.

The plus to the ladies joining us, the greater chance more families join us.

My above post was just some ideas off the top my head and a couple expressed by my wife. She is not interested in racing, just not her thing. She has come to a couple of my races to support me, but she shows no interest in trying.

The plus is my two boys are going to their first race this weekend. I am psyched to have my boys joining me.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Thanks for the comments so far guys. It seems that no matter what reasons we can come up with for low numbers there will always be exceptions to the rule. But do you think we will see the day when they aren't exceptions but perhaps part of a (let's say) large minority?

Is there any thing we can do to encourage more girls? After all most clubs would like more racers, and they do make up 50% of the population.
I'd love to see more ladies. More women would deffinately attract even more men, making the whole hobby and local race tracks prosper. I know, start an running add in Cosmo magazine. "top ten ways to hook up with a good man" = visit your local radio controlled race track!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The JBRL electric series has some of female participation, mostly girls in rookie stock. But there's a few grown women racing here in so cal area. I seen this lady racing a tricked out MGT and she was fast. Hot Rod used to offer free club racing to females, I haven't seen any of them racing lately. Females have their interest in other activities.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Tech Adept

I wish more women would attend and race. At our club we have some female members, but they don't come out very offten. I do remember the 2003 King Daddy Racing Graveyard classic TC race. I raced next to Ronda on the drivers stand...her great smelling perfume was an odd experice on the drivers stand....it was distracting, thats my excuse for kicking my butt She was really fast

We always try to promote woment racing and usually offer a discount to them as a method of drawing in more. As far as the on unruley atmosphere at the track....if you are experincing this...your racing at the wrong track. VCRR is a family orientated club and no swearing, yelling, drinking, drugs or putting your hands on someone is allowed and will get you ejected. It is a great place to race and most of all...have fun with all who is in attendence.

Steve
http://www.venturaroadrunners.com/
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default From the female racer's point of view

Well, I found this thead by accident. Hope I can refind it again, as I found it in a google search, not through tech directly. This may be a long dead subject too. I have been RC offroad racing since the early 90s. I love it. I don't race as often as I'd like because I don't have enough employment lately, so racing is a luxury really. But I've always loved it. Now when I was younger, one thing that frustrated me, as a female, was that guys would always rib the guys that I beat, and the guy gettng ribbed would get mad. "You got beat by a girl." There were other comments too. Kind of ticked me off at the time. But basically I always had the respect of the other racers because I was a clean racer, and if I was not in contention for the lead, I would pull over for the leaders battling for position. Now days, I get to win occasionally, but not often, and never against the fast guys. Setup was one thing I never was fully able to understand, and why certain adjustments worked the way they do. I am spending more time on understanding that now, but since I work temporary jobs, a lot of times I am working on practice days. I know tires and driving style are primary, but I've been driving long enough to know that a great setup can really make the difference on how well and fast you can get around the track (and how much fun it can make your truck to drive, even if you don't win). If your skills and tires are good, a so-so setup can make you stay stuck.

Anyway, this is one female racer that hopes to race her entire life - as long as I can see the truck on the track and climb up on that driver's stand.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Tech Adept

Cool

Originally Posted by stiffler297
Couple comments on your comments.

1.) My wife is a racer (Not a Rhonda) but a racer indeed. She love the loud noise and smoke coming out of the pits. Mess, I'm not allowed to touch her cars. She cleans, re-builds all on her own. She won't even let me touch her cars.lol.

3.) I've seen women with worse mouths then the men.

6.) My wife prefers a pair of tires or glow plugs over a manicure anyday.

I guess I'm one of the few out there that is lucky enough to have a wife who is into this sport as much if not more than I am. My wife won't let me spend money on anything BUT RC stuff. You will never find me at the track without my wife racing with me.

Here in texas we have my sister Heather trevino(sponsored driver) and she can hold her own and has been my teammate since day one.
My wife races nitro buggy occasionly but prefers to pit for us.

For me it makes it alot more fun,especially when we race outta town.
If your goin to the rcpro race in porter,tx or jconcepts race in La she'll b there.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Rookie

hello! i saw the thread and thought i would chime in. I ahve raced since i was 11 ( im a36 now ) and my daughter jsut recenelty decided to start racing. she has been racing for about a eyar now and won her first race this past weekend. we have several girls that race at our local track. I can count atleast 2 taht are regulars and a 3rd and a 4th that come from time to time.

we race in Easley, SC @ The Hobby Connection, and some surrounding race tracks.

what i find the most interesting is how much support she is given by everyone. even spectators. Folks are more likely to pull for her than the men she races against and that is typically before they even see her drive.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm racing in the southeast. I have a teckno ebuggy and 10 scale short course truck.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In So Cal and down from Central Cal, there are a few of us dads with daughters that race. I know that a couple of the girls are actually pretty fast and I love to see them kick butt. My daughter first saw racing and had to get in when she just turned 8. Its coming up on two years and she has better throttle control than me

It looks like until those girls become too interested in boys, there will be a little more softness at the track.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick Carroll
I'm in Arizona, the racing scene is not that great at the moment but as far as female racers i don't think I've seen one (personally) in like 5-6 + years. Like you said there are divisions/classes with young children competing against older more experienced guys. I agree the LHS here always says it's a "family show" but most of it is just fathers and sons.
W3 had two sisters that ran in 4×4 and a younger girl that ran stadium truck. There were regular for quite sometime.. The sisters use to bake cookies and sell them. Not sure if any made the move to srs.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rannblod
W3 had two sisters that ran in 4×4 and a younger girl that ran stadium truck. There were regular for quite sometime.. The sisters use to bake cookies and sell them. Not sure if any made the move to srs.
There are definitely some young women drivers that run at SRS, I know one of them is an AE team driver.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Hi everyone. I was wondering how many lady racers there are in different parts of the world.

I'm from Australia and would be lucky to see girls having a go in a year's worth of racing. Yet it seems to me that RC racing would be a good sport for them. Lots of the races I attend have a family atmosphere. We have 7 year olds competing against 50 year olds. It is a sport where there is no advantage to be gained from being physically stronger so males and females can compete on an equal footing.

Girls are increasingly tech savy, and schools and universities do a great deal now days to encourage them to consider engineering and physical science subjects, so there is no reason why RC car racing with its strong engineering element wouldn't make a great hobby for girls.

Yet it seems that where I am there are very few lady racers. Is this a phenomenon specific to Australian culture or the culture of RC racing in general? Do pictures of trophy girls in our magazines send the wrong message? (How about the avatars on this site?)

I am interested in your thoughts (especially if you happen to be a female racer), how do we get more girls into racing?
Hey friend, i would like to say you many many thanks for sharing this topic and i am sure it is going to be really interesting.