Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sponsoring ROAR races

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Team Tekin

Default Sponsoring ROAR races

We truly want to see the ROAR nationals receive the notoriety that a national event should command. How do we improve the respect for these national races, the experience for the racers and the benefit for the sponsors?

We think ROAR has made a good start by providing some consistency for the technical management. Unfortunately this provides no assurance for the sponsors that anyone will know the event even happened or which products performed well.

We are struggling to find a reason to sponsor any more ROAR events. So where do we start?

Tekin Prez
Old 05-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

The best way I've seen to do this is to publish the accomplishments of drivers using your products in your magazine ads. Sponsoring major races gets your name and product out there to be seen by the serious racers. I'm talking top club racers who are unsponsored. These drivers will be more likely to purchase and use your product if you are a major event sponsor for a national event that they happen to attend. These drivers go back to their local tracks and pass on information and set up tips based on the equiptment they're using and others will copy them and suddenly everyone has to have such and such piece of equiptment cause that driver is using it and look how fast he is.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Team Tekin

The biggest turn off for most is the intimidation factor. For instance the stock class...this is the grass roots of most racing. This is where most people should start at the larger event. The problem arrises where they're competing against 20+ of the best stock drivers in the Nation at a National. I don't have a problem with it however who wants to race for 31st place? This is what they face. The fee's are higher as they are going to be for an event run of this caliber.

I think that Roar should have a Factory Stock/19T and Mod class. Factory being a sponsored driver. This is the full ride class. The F1 of racing if you will, no expense spared. Same goes for 19T,etc.

The only issue that most will complain about is sandbagging. This should be the responsibility of the Teams. Simply upon registering for the race the sponsors(who are sponsoring the race) in "honesty" list the racers accordingly. It will never be fully rectified, but it's better. THis does not however disallow a person to enter the factory classes. This is simply to divide the sportsman and the pro's.

Stock WAS the stepping tool from privateer to factory driver. IT however has gone to the way side. TC seems to be the biggest offender, but all racing is guilty.

Just my thoughts...
Old 05-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I think the best way to "sponsor" a race is to send your best drivers and equipment to the race.

I think the national championships are just that. There shouldn't be a factory stock and a nonfactory stock. Same with the other classes. I don't think there should be driver designations/classes at the nats. There are plenty of other races for that.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Tech Legend

One way to improve National attendance is to bring back the local regional program cept tied the whole program into a Roar ranking system for qualifying for National Championships....
Old 05-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Team Tekin

Totally agree with sponsoring drivers. They are the foundation of our promotion efforts, the front line representing us, how we show the world our products work well and our friends. The question is why sponsor the races? Does sponsoring major races benefit us anymore than just showing up with good drivers and performing well? Should we spend our money to be behind the podium on the banner or on the podium with our drivers?

Do we earn any points by supporting the event and helping provide the opportunity to race regardless of how our drivers perform?

If we all just back our horses there will be no where for them to race. Besides we usually get a free t-shirt! How many people can say they have a $3000 shirt?

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 05-19-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I don't travel to large races yet, but I do read all about them and follow the racers and results carefully. I generally don't notice the race sponsor unless they do something special beyond just promoting the race. In Novak's case, for example (sorry), they included a 13.5 class at their race, which is still the only big race to have one.

Maybe in the future, races sponsored by Tekin could have some kind of demo class with more general interest or appeal, like an open 13.5 brushless class, or something else creative that could spotlight your forthcoming products, and generate interest due to its experimental nature.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Jim, LiveRC.com has been contracted for each nationals - where available with internet access. Paid for by ROAR. (this was at Carpet Nats as well)

Each RMT Announcer has exact instructions on promoting sponsors each and every heat. Track owners are instructed as to appropriate banner placement and we have written guidelines on how to do that.....

I see your point and I would like to ask.. as a sponsor, what do you intend to provide to the national event for the title or secondary name sponsor? What kind of promotion of the ROAR nationals do you intend to to provide to ensure your company is noticed as the title sponsor? For the cash in hand to the track, but not ROAR, how would you like to handle trophies and your name placement?

what would you like done for the cash you have paid and what amounts do you think are appropriate for sponsorship?

We are currently opening up a ROAR Cup Point series - see issue 1 of the RevUP ONLINE! this year.... each class is titled with a sponsor for these series races. Next year, it will be much better organized as we got a late start this year. (Like Adrian said, 5 people doing the job of 7 currently in our free time)

Regionals are used for seeding of the national events. Therefore, attendance in a regional is becoming more and more important so the racer gets higher seeding in the opening rounds of qualifications. Regionals need to be the place sponsors throw their dollars.. to get people there in higher quantities. Your not going to improve the national attendance and exposure of your product if you don't start at the grass roots level.

Just my thoughts....
Dawn

P.S. - please know, in case you didn't, my husband and I own an off road track in Scottsdale that holds a large off road event annually and we are very familiar with the necessity of sponsorship dollars in holding large events.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

one last thing.. as a track owner I belive I can explain this...

large events are not money makers. People really believe tracks clean up financially with holding large races and thats not so......

large events are done to promote the track and the sponsors for future retail sales of the products. Products being the track, its racing program, its inventory at the shop and yes, the sponsors line of products as well.

The sponsors need to be involved in the process - all along. Showing up on main day to check out racing isn't enough. The sponsors need to show their products by not only racing them but talking to people at the event and being open to those interested in asking questions.

edit: portion of this edited. Just didn't make sense.. LOL

Last edited by Dawn Sanchez; 05-20-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:21 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
one last thing.. as a track owner I belive I can explain this...

large events are not money makers. People really believe tracks clean up financially with holding large races and thats not so......

large events are done to promote the track and the sponsors for future retail sales of the products. Products being the track, its racing program, its inventory at the shop and yes, the sponsors line of products as well.

The sponsors need to be involved in the process - all along. Showing up on main day to check out racing isn't enough. The sponsors need to show their products by not only racing them but talking to people at the event and being open to those interested in asking questions.

What ever happened to the day of the mini-clinics? Manufacturer's Row at races??

(now to ROAR) - people criticize ROAR for not promoting products.. but I can tell you, for four years I've been working with ROAR, I have been trying to get MFG's to showcase at each nationals I go to and I get.. no time. We need to race. Heck, one large name racer at an event I went to was in an enclosed building all weekend long and I finally saw him once on main day to race.... and I was the official there.....

Basically, its more than ROAR putting your name on the entry flyer.

Just my thoughts... its way to early to do this.. so if I'm offending anybody, my apologies. This is a topic that is very senstive for me.
Very well said. Helped many of tracks that held big events and like you mentioned they don't make huge amounts of money but are for promoting the shop, track and all the products they sell. Also a meeting place for people to get together and have a great time.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
Totally agree with sponsoring drivers. They are the foundation of our promotion efforts, the front line representing us, how we show the world our products work well and our friends. The question is why sponsor the races? Does sponsoring major races benefit us anymore than just showing up with good drivers and performing well? Should we spend our money to be behind the podium on the banner or on the podium with our drivers?

Do we earn any points by supporting the event and helping provide the opportunity to race regardless of how our drivers perform?

If we all just back our horses there will be no where for them to race. Besides we usually get a free t-shirt! How many people can say they have a $3000 shirt?

Tekin Prez
I totally hear where you are coming from Jim. I am sure you are inundated with requests to sponsor events, and you have to ask yourself the question - am i getting a return on my investment?

I don't think I have the answer for you if there should or shouldn't be title sponsors for ROAR major races. I believe that without the sponsors - there would not be very many races. As an industry - sponsors for major events are needed to make these "national races" happen. Scotty even said the IIC would not be where it is today without the initial backing and support from SMC/Jaco believing in and supporting this race - and then the rest of the companies joining in....

Will a racer notice that Trinity is the title sponsor for Snowbirds? Did anyone notice Tekin was the title sponsor at last years ROAR nats? I think the Novak USTC Champs is one of the best "branded" races out there. Racers do not refer to it as USTC Champs - they refer to it as "The Novak Race". I think one way this was done was in fact that Novak has brushless class and Novak has conistently been the title sponsor for quite sometime.

Will sponsors sell more product because of being a title sponsor? Yes and No. I believe some people will see your name and your product and possibly be compelled to buy one of your products. But i believe the true benefit in being a title sponsor is branding. The majority of people are not going to buy Trinity products b/c they are the title sponsor for Snowbirds - BUT - Trinity and other companies do get major exposure and people "see" their name and Trinity keeps their name on the forefront of racers minds.

I believe being a title sponsor is more about branding your product and helping the industry continue to have "national events." Just as Dawn stated - major races are not huge money makers for the local track - and without the financial backing of our industry's leaders - we wouldn't have too many large races.

I am not sure if I made any sense, but that is my $.02
Old 05-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

From a consumer stand point. I do not care who the tittle sponsor is of a ROAR race. I buy product based on performance and local involvment. A name on a t shirt does nothing for me. But when a manufactor gets into local racing. That is what I like to see. I do not plan on going to a ROAR event due to the cost. The price for the entry and the useless membership. If Tekin or anyone sposnored one of our local races. I would be more interested in the product. And more likely purchase the product. This is how it works for most of the real racing that takes place in the US. The grass roots that would not go to a ROAR race.

So Tekin save your money. Keep your drivers at the local scene. And help with the races (grass roots) that your real customers are at.

Also think about it. Most of the racers at a ROAR race have a sponsor or die hard to one brand. So will you get sales from those racers? Will a consumer buy your product when your the title sponsor? And your competition won the race.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Sponsoring ROAR...or ANY races!!

I've asked a question for years about "SPONSORSHIP" in the R/C industry...because a lot of it I just don't understand.

A SPONSOR on a T.V. program, radio station, magazine ad, infomercial,etc. is a 'paid advertisement' for a product or company.

A celebrity endorsement is when a company approaches a person with some type of celebrity status and contracts them to promote, use, or help sell thier product...

But, a socalled R/C sponsorship can be many things

A) A racer being able to "BUY" a product directly from a MFG. at a "Less than Suggested Retail" discount a.k.a. the 50% deal or what ever you want to call it (To me this is NOT a sponsorship...it's a discounted PURCHASE)

B) FULL 100% FREE product to a racer

C) Racers acatually 'PAID' to attend races on behalf of a mfg. or product, with expense accounts, etc.

D) A company sending so called "donations" or "give-a-way" prizes.

E) A dollar based 'event sponsorship' to the track/promoter/organization.

And there are more, but these seem to be some of the common ones.

Some say "A" hurts local hobbyshops because a racer will try to push products outside of the store, and other various reasons.

and I say "D" does nothing to really help a race promoter put on his/her event...and I really can't see where it helps the mfg. either....other than once in a while somebody will actually be given something he'll use..but in the last 22 years I haven't seen that happen very often.

EVERYBODY wants something for FREE

Racers think THEY should be sponsored....just because they race.
Tracks/Stores etc. think they should get 'Free' door prizes for every race...just because they are putting on a race.

I know the mfg's get hit up by EVERYONE from race directors/promoters to racers wanting something for 'FREE'....and I also know MFG's have certain events they WANT TO SPONSOR because those events are REALLY BIG DEALS and they feel they can get something for their buck.

SNOWBIRDS - has a TON of sponsors - but most kind of fall through the cracks I think...but people want to sponsor it...because it's HUGE.

But a small regional race in a small town nobody's ever heard of is trying hard to get r/c racing strong in their area might really need some small financial help to pull thier event off...and want some $$$ help to pay for needed equipment, and manpower to do the event. "Product Give-A-Ways" will NOT help these races generate that money.

As far as a ROAR event - When they are/were HUGE, little guys like me went because of the HYPE. I never wanted to race against Joel Johnson, Cliff Lett, Tony Neisinger, Frank Killam, Chris Doesek, Frank Polimeda, and/or so many awesome racers....but I did want a class I could run in at an event...and be there to WATCH the MASTERS perform.

When MFG's are strong and the companies have STRONG racers, it's so awesome to watch them do battle as TEAMS... When the TOP MFG's send drivers to a race to run in a TOP LEVEL class this makes OTHER racers want to be there.

To me, when this stopped in OVAL RACING - THAT is when OVAL RACING numbers dropped the hardest.

BOTTOM LINE - SPONSORSHIP is about PRODUCT AWARENESS and SELLING PRODUCTS.

If the socalled BIG RACES don't bring a return on the SPONSORSHIP DOLLAR what ever type of sponsorship it is...how do you continue it?

**These are just MY opinions as a RACER and a RACE DIRECTOR/PROMOTER

Joe Myers
ROAR Member
and
South-West Tour "R/C Oval Series" director.

Official 'TOUR' Sponsors

FINISHLINE R/C Products
T.M. Racing Tires
Jake's Performance Hobbies
Maverick Oval Chassis
BSR Racing Tires
McAllister Racing Bodies
STICK E.T. Tire Sauces

WWW.SOUTHWESTTOUR.COM
Old 05-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Team Tekin/Jim,

If you have to ask for the value of your "investment" in Sponsoring a ROAR Nationals I would suggest to you that you are making a poor investment with your hard earned money. If anyone from ROAR suggests that you need to do MORE after you hand over your hard earned money I would suggest that they do not deserve your investment. I am sure that there are other avenues that will give you a better return for your money. Your advertising dollars can be spent better elsewhere and when ROAR can give you value for your investment in one of their programs....then, and only then, should you consider an investment in one of their events.

We all have to realize we are dealing with money....someone else's money to boot. If they make an investment there should be value and return. If not.....why invest?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Advil
Team Tekin/Jim,

If you have to ask for the value of your "investment" in Sponsoring a ROAR Nationals I would suggest to you that you are making a poor investment with your hard earned money. If anyone from ROAR suggests that you need to do MORE after you hand over your hard earned money I would suggest that they do not deserve your investment. I am sure that there are other avenues that will give you a better return for your money. Your advertising dollars can be spent better elsewhere and when ROAR can give you value for your investment in one of their programs....then, and only then, should you consider an investment in one of their events.

We all have to realize we are dealing with money....someone else's money to boot. If they make an investment there should be value and return. If not.....why invest?
I was gonna leave this one alone but because I really respect Mr. Advil, I'm gonna respond.

Nobody from ROAR has ever asked for more from a sponsor nor will they. No ROAR person will ask for sponsorship for a ROAR event... because....

ROAR is the primary sponsor of national events. ROAR, now with RMT, is a paid sponsor that provides a team to run the event, rental/track fees to the facility, tech equipment, advertising in magazines and website, staffing and trophies with its sponsorship fee. Plus, additional payments to tracks who deal with handout tire products and additional fees paid to the track for those having entrys over 150.

Maybe you misread my post above. Out of curiousity... because I'm a track owner too... I asked Jim what does he expect for his sponsorship dollars? Maybe that's the breakdown in communication.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.