Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

How important is ESC programming?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 08:52 PM
spx
Tech Rookie

Default How important is ESC programming?

I've recently picked up an entry level TC to learn with and potentially run in a few local races. I'm running a basic TrackStar (hobbyking) 13.5T and 80a ESC and wanted to get people thoughts on the necessity of a program card. Is this combo even worth picking one up? Would a relative novice like myself even gain anything at this stage?

I haven't found a way to limit reverse (i believe this is a requirement at most tracks?) on my receiver so it may be worth it purely for this reason?

Any input is much appreciated!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Drag brake is a pretty useful thing to configure during the learning phase. Most other settings probably won't be worth playing with initially.
herrokero likes this.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spx
I haven't found a way to limit reverse (i believe this is a requirement at most tracks?) on my receiver so it may be worth it purely for this reason?
You'd always switch off reverse on the ESC rather than with the radio. Although the rules are normally no reverse, the main thing is not to use reverse on track (rather than have it switched off on the ESC). However what you will find when you program the ESC to remove reverse is that you can be more confident on the brakes (sometime you can activate reverse accidentally under braking).

As said above, there is not much requirement for most of the settings on an ESC (boost/turbo are very rarely allowed now), but it's worth having the card to allow you to set drag brake (if you want to, I would suggest that you don't run it at first), and to switch off reverse properly.

Last edited by sosidge; 03-02-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:27 AM
spx
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the input guys! I guess for the sake of $10-$15aud I may as well pick one up anyway at some point
Old 03-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

When starting out I found it helpful to turn the punch down due to lack of throttle control.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Totally worth it. Sometimes turning down the power or smoothing it out in the ESC can do wonders for a car that feels like a handful.
drjim likes this.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Id say smoothing acceleration and deceleration was a great thing when I started. Once you get into tuning you realize that static weight distribution plays a major factor on how easy the car drive or how much grip it has. Stage 3 you begin to realize that shocks and springs are used to do the same when accelerating and decelerating. Stabilizing acceleration and deceleration makes it easier to learn how the traction moves from tire to tire to develop or remove traction.
trilerian and drjim like this.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I didn’t the first summer I raced USGT. I didn’t know about what settings there were. If I had I would have done better. Just by adjusting the brake settings, my driving took a big jump. We had a number of turns that required braking and acceleration over flat speed.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been a proponent of learning all you can about a esc and your radio. They can be great friends especially when you get into sketchy race track conditions. That would be more common on pavement. I recently did very well at a major race (The Snowbirds) with help from both the radio and the esc. The spec tire for the race (F1 class) was one I have only raced on occasionally and the Snowbirds present some interesting traction situations with the flip back and forth between oval and road course. I was able to tune the cars drivability to the situation with several programming options (punch, softening, drive frequency, brake amount, brake frequency, drag brake and brake response (sort of a punch)). It was complicated but in the end I had a very drivable and fast car in a difficult situation.
So with that said, learn everything you can about those two systems as you never know when you may need them.
drjim likes this.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys, a note on my radio comment. I recently got a new one and I like it a ton but car acceleration was weird. Come to find out that there was a in radio dead band setting and the default was 10%. Once I found that I checked someone else's that had a similar feeling. Turns out that it had a throttle punch setting which was set with a delay. Removed the delay and car drove great. Like I said, learn the esc and the radio they can help a ton or if you don't know, mess you up.

Last edited by old_dude; 03-11-2020 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:48 AM
Tech Rookie

A lot! I started programming as one usually does, made a few android games and quickly fall in love with Arduino, had to use a brushless motor and there I learned about ESC. It'd say its very important, and it isn't very hard either.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xflyleafzy
A lot! I started programming as one usually does, made a few android games and quickly fall in love with Arduino, had to use a brushless motor and there I learned about ESC. It'd say its very important, and it isn't very hard either.
Not what we are talking about. The question is about changing settings on the ESC ... not writing the code to make it work.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Programming

QUOTE=sp5604541]I've recently picked up an entry level TC to learn with and potentially run in a few local races. I'm running a basic TrackStar (hobbyking) 13.5T and 80a ESC and wanted to get people thoughts on the necessity of a program card. Is this combo even worth picking one up? Would a relative novice like myself even gain anything at this stage?

Any input is much appreciated![/QUOTE]
Old 03-11-2020, 02:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi
I use the card and the wifi mod for the traxxas for my buggy’s I use the card and set reverse down to 25% for practice and off when racing I just bought the new Orion combo 13t almost 500 any one have any thoughts on the new esc’s.
cheers
Old 03-11-2020, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bturn3
QUOTE=sp5604541]I've recently picked up an entry level TC to learn with and potentially run in a few local races. I'm running a basic TrackStar (hobbyking) 13.5T and 80a ESC and wanted to get people thoughts on the necessity of a program card. Is this combo even worth picking one up? Would a relative novice like myself even gain anything at this stage?

Any input is much appreciated!
[/QUOTE]

Reverse limiting isn't done thru your receiver, its all done via your speed control, so you probably need the program card to change that setting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.