Search
Like Tree3Likes

High Speed "Velodrome" Racing - 1/10th scale

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default High Speed "Velodrome" Racing - 1/10th scale

Just wanted to pop in to the "Oval Racing" Section here on RCTech with some info on the R/C Velodrome Racing in Encino CA.

R/C Oval Races started being held at the ENCINO VELODROME in 1988, so it's chalked full of R/C history. The track is a 250 Meter "High Banked" Concrete Oval Bicycle Racing track. (250 Meter equals about 820 Feet)

We're kicking off our 1st race of 2018 (weather permitting) on Saturday, March 10, 2018.

The track is located in Encino Ca
Encino Velodrome
17301 Oxnard St Encino
CA 91416

Here's a link to our classes and basic rules -- but I encourage interested racers to come out and check out the racing and the cars first hand.

CLASSES and RULES

We will also be holding our newest "annual" event "RC World Drome II" this coming June.

Last edited by SWTour; 03-03-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Joe- Nice photo of Encino..... it started in 1988 though.... I know time flies.... LOL Like your cool graphics too.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

oooops TYPO, I meant '88!! -- FIXED IT!!
Old 03-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Last years RC WORLD DROME WINNERS PLAQUE! (2017)

Old 03-05-2018, 04:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anyone gonna try speed runs?
Old 03-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Probably just NIC CASE -- he almost always attempts during a VELO race. I have one other guy from Nor Cal who does when he can be there, but I don't believe he'll make this race.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:07 AM
Tech Elite

Default March 10 - RAINOUT - Resched Apr. 7

The dang weather is going to get the best of us this weekend it looks like.
For the safety of the racers who need to travel to get to Encino I called the race for rain today (well Yesterday now) and rescheduled it for Saturday April 7th
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have no experience with Velodrome racing as we don't have it here. We do have a velodrome though. The car setups are drastically different than what is seen anywhere else. Why is it common to run full front suspensions on pan cars, like those adapted from the RC10DS? Are these tracks rough? Are the ride heights higher than typical road course racing?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

[

Fred, in the 80s and early 90s our track was very bumpy so these front ends were adapted..and we ve stayed with them.

I started a couple spec classes last year, and merged them this year into one. The spec class must use regular pan car front ends, and at the spec speeds they run really well.

8.5 shocked front ends - 11.5 non-shocked lap times.

QUOTE=fredswain;15210457]I have no experience with Velodrome racing as we don't have it here. We do have a velodrome though. The car setups are drastically different than what is seen anywhere else. Why is it common to run full front suspensions on pan cars, like those adapted from the RC10DS? Are these tracks rough? Are the ride heights higher than typical road course racing?[/QUOTE]
Old 04-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Due to the high speeds and high banking, do you find that you need to run a higher ride height or stiffer spring setup that say for a road course? It would seem that with the high g load that a faster car would just fully compress the limited stock pan car front suspension in the corners and that the IFS would be better suited for this reason.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, I missed the ride height part of your question last night, we run around 12-14 mm or ride height to keep as little chassis drag as possible, plus the transition from the banking to the apron in the corners can upset the cars, so a lot of us run cars like old RC10L4s or KSG Gen1 type "slider" tray chassis' and raise the tray about .100 - .125" above the chassis for more clearance.

Springs we run aren't too stiff but several do use o rings on the shafts to limit the amount of travel, but we do use pretty heavy shock oil (some use 100 wt in the fronts and center, with 50-60 in the rear sides.

Originally Posted by fredswain
Due to the high speeds and high banking, do you find that you need to run a higher ride height or stiffer spring setup that say for a road course? It would seem that with the high g load that a faster car would just fully compress the limited stock pan car front suspension in the corners and that the IFS would be better suited for this reason.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Default R/C Worldrome at the Encino Velodrome 6/8 & 6/9

Coming up June 8th & 9th on "The "drome"

Old 04-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just fascinated with this.

With banking so steep, do you still find advantage in having a large weight offset to the left or is is fairly balanced? On my dirt oval cars, we don't have banked tracks but the amount of weight I run left is based on traction level. High grip, lots of weight left. Low grip, more weight central. Obviously you don't have that same issue but the effect of banking on weight location is one that's unknown to me.

How tough was it to organize rc events on the velodrome? We have one here in Houston and there's a bike club that uses it most days. How does one approach a track with the idea of running rc cars on it?
Old 04-19-2018, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

No Problem with questions -- we LOVE our Velo racing, and love sharing it with others.

We still run weight offset, but not to the extreme of Carpet Oval racers. Due to ground clearance issues where the banking meets the apron, a lot of us run a tray style older pan car, and raise the battery tray .100 - .125" above the chassis on top of having the chassis set high already. That way the LR corner of the chassis doesn't scrape of you dip below the bottom racing line onto the apron. (I do the same thing w/ weight on Dirt Oval based on grip)

I've been involved with our Velo for over 20 years, and this is the 30th year of rc racing here. Getting in to a NEW track is always a tough deal, but I have talked via email to the folks at the Velo in Frisco Texas and they seemed open to letting rc cars use their facility. (I've never been to Texas but have family not too far from Dallas -- so I'm always looking for other Velos...I didn't know Houston had one. I'd say, 1st step is -- see if they would let one car run on it -- if you can make the car get around -- see if they'll let you run a few (for like a test) - then go from there.

For our Velo, I have to provide my own timing & scoring system, computer, P.A. system and even a 220v 3phase 100ft power cord and job site style power box. I live 140 miles from the Velo here -- so I only get down to the track when I'm holding races...

Originally Posted by fredswain
Sorry for all the questions. I'm just fascinated with this.

With banking so steep, do you still find advantage in having a large weight offset to the left or is is fairly balanced? On my dirt oval cars, we don't have banked tracks but the amount of weight I run left is based on traction level. High grip, lots of weight left. Low grip, more weight central. Obviously you don't have that same issue but the effect of banking on weight location is one that's unknown to me.

How tough was it to organize rc events on the velodrome? We have one here in Houston and there's a bike club that uses it most days. How does one approach a track with the idea of running rc cars on it?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Our velodrome is called the Alkek Velodrome. It was built in 1986 and was run by the city of Houston for over 30 years. Today it's run by the Greater Houston Cycling Foundation. People had run rc cars on it in the late 80's/early 90's but back then it was just show up, make sure no one was around, and go for it. Today it's gated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.