Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Considering giving nitro a try >

Considering giving nitro a try

Considering giving nitro a try

Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? Considering giving nitro a try

I would like some suggestions on models to research. I'd prefer something that comes in a RTR package, since it will be my first nitro I want to make sure I get everything (and manuals) together. (unless I should avoid rtr kits?)
I'm open to 1:8 buggy/truggy but I really have no idea where I should begin.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

Look into the Losi RTR's. The 8 and the 8T RTR have proven to be competitors. The only gripe people have with them are the servos... But if you set the endpoints correctly the should last you a long time

In my opinion, no other brands RTR's are up to par with Losi's. They did it right
Old 06-21-2010, 02:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike881
Look into the Losi RTR's. The 8 and the 8T RTR have proven to be competitors. The only gripe people have with them are the servos... But if you set the endpoints correctly the should last you a long time

In my opinion, no other brands RTR's are up to par with Losi's. They did it right
Very true, they make the BEST RTR package out there.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i am not a losi guy

but you can't go past the losi 8 2.0 RTR package either truggy or buggy. truggy ,easyier to drive or buggy,just more fun

both are grea value and well worht a look.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mike881

+1
Old 06-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I am not a Losi guy either but you can't go wrong with their RTR package.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Markah
I would like some suggestions on models to research. I'd prefer something that comes in a RTR package, since it will be my first nitro I want to make sure I get everything (and manuals) together. (unless I should avoid rtr kits?)
I'm open to 1:8 buggy/truggy but I really have no idea where I should begin.
If you have the money to get separate parts, I would. But no matter what you get wrenching is gonna take up a lot of time. The LOSI RTRs are good, but if you can afford it, better components are the way togo.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I always thought getting a kit is the be the best way to go, especially when something breaks and it's bound to happen eventually, at least you would have some experience breaking it down and putting it back together.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'll probably tear it down for the first cleaning and lube check. I enjoy that part anyway and hopefully at that point I haven't broken anything....I'm a pretty bad driver though. I don't mind learning to tear down/rebuild whatever way I come about it. I like the idea of a RTR for both cost and ease of shopping, I don't really want to go hunting components when I have no real experience yet.

So far I like the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR and the 8ight-T 2.0 RTR, opinions?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Markah
I'll probably tear it down for the first cleaning and lube check. I enjoy that part anyway and hopefully at that point I haven't broken anything....I'm a pretty bad driver though. I don't mind learning to tear down/rebuild whatever way I come about it. I like the idea of a RTR for both cost and ease of shopping, I don't really want to go hunting components when I have no real experience yet.

So far I like the Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR and the 8ight-T 2.0 RTR, opinions?
The RTR is a good deal. There is no better way to get experience than to just go out and do it. Hindsight is always 20/20 but you won't know until you give it a shot. You had to pay for the experience one way or the other. When it comes to the Losi RTR's, they are good. The weak points are not that weak, you will get enough time out of them in order to figure what you need to do next.

When it comes to buggy or truggy here is my take. A truggy is like a buggy with training wheels. You can get away with so much driving truggy. I was racing the other day, full tilt down the straight. I fell off the groove and into the loose stuff taking a turn. My rear end came around so bad that I think I was looking at my truck head on when it was supposed to be going the other way. I cranked the wheels the opposite direction and hammered the throttle and it got right back on its line. I don't know if anyone else saw it but that blew my mind. I thought for sure I was going to spin out. The buggy requires a more precise driving style. If you are not confident in the line you took up to a jump the buggy will let you know. It will go cart wheeling through the air.

Maintenance wise, I find the buggy is not as hard on itself. The truggy, with it's long a-arms and big tires likes to beat up bearings. You must pay close attention to the mesh on the rear diff in the truggy. The buggy will go much longer without as much care.

I can't say what I like to drive more. Both are awesome. The buggy requires more discipline and focus. I do better racing with my truggy. There are more talented drivers in the buggy class and I make more mistakes with it. If you're on your lid for 5 seconds waiting for a marshal, that hurts because the competition is so tight. I am not saying the truggy is easy to do well with because mistakes will still destroy you. It is easier to not make an error with it. RC racing is all about being fast and not making any errors. The winner is not always the fastest but the smoothest most consistent driver.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

I believe that the vast majority of knowledgeable people on this forum will guide you to the Losi RTR as the best all around starter value, I'm one of them.

Don't forget that the "free" promo on those vehicles ends on 6/30/10: www.overdriverc.com
Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Obviously you can get better components by buying them individually... but... IF you are going with RTR, nothing compares to the Losi 8ight/8ight-T 2.0 RTR.

I'm not a Losi fanboi... but they really raised the bar with that package. No other RTR even comes close to being a real, complete, competitive package.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Arco
I believe that the vast majority of knowledgeable people on this forum will guide you to the Losi RTR as the best all around starter value, I'm one of them.

Don't forget that the "free" promo on those vehicles ends on 6/30/10: www.overdriverc.com
That is pretty tempting. My cats already have a pretty firm hatred of all things RC, I can only imagine the fits they'll have if I patrol that micro around the house.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Definately get yourself into nitro. it's loud,dirty and a buttload of fun.
I know you are thinking RTR, but also give thought to a buggy kit.
I ran a hyper 8.5 RTR for about a year,it was an awesome buggy but i moved up to an o'donnell Zo1b team buggy kit.building a nitro buggy from scratch was a good learning experience and now i can tear my buggy down,fix it, service it and re-build it with no hassles because having built it,i know what goes where,what looks worn,and if anything is broken or missing.
I know pro kits are dearer, but what you can learn from building them is priceless.
Gaz.(australia)
Old 06-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Losi 8t 2.0 rtr gets my vote.

First nitro+kit isnt always the greatest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.