Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo confusion

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ummmm....where did I make it personal? I don't even know you.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks. That proves that it's not all about a battery pack to win a race. Car setup and driving will always be the most important part of racing.
And NOT being caught up in the BIG WRECK on the first or second lap.

Tyler looks like he had a pretty smooth run - Talbot and Denning...not so good.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Danny/Jack,

Thanks for making a great pack out of the 5000. I am a racer of 21 years into this hobby. SMC has made a bench mark for lipo discharge numbers. I want the best my money can buy.

I have never liked running spec classes myself. It seems those are for guys that can not drive and blame it on the car and electronics.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

jack whats worse is you got thrown under the bus with me!

you deserve way better company than me..and with me under that bus there would be little room left for you!

joe you just attacked me...you told me to stick a trak power up my tail pipe!

play nice or jack and i will have to find a larger bus to accomodate the 3 of us!

evry 6 months i sell my old stuff and buy new stuff..kinda like my clothes in my closet...or is that because they don't fit anymore?

oh well

joe keep fighting that fight...i'll keep buying the very best stuff i can afford..cause i'm a nutty racer!

danny don't change anything on the 3200 pack..just make up a cool looking SHV sticker and fudge some #'s on your labels and add 40.00 to the price....we will buy it,lol......

i laughed and so did mike boylan when we were reading from guys who said lipo will be easy....weld a pack in your car and just keep charging it over and over for the next 1000 cycles they will be nothing like stupid nimh cells..fool proof.......lol

dodgeguy great post!

problem is those spec guys want us all to conform down to there level...and when we get there and put 7 laps on them they complain about cheating? go figure!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is why I sometimes hate electric, especially spec racing... We are getting to the point that we have to run the same brand motor, speedos, and batteries... IMO Spec has always been about getting the most out of the car within the rules....

I agree with SMC on this subject.... They have guidelines from sanctioning bodies they follow as far as dimensions and safety and that should be it....

I can imagine it now SMC doing R&D to increase IR untill it's close enough to brand xxxxx.....lol
Old 08-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
I have never liked running spec classes myself. It seems those are for guys that can not drive and blame it on the car and electronics.
Regardless WHO is running in them - if the class has a demand and people want to run it...and YOU don't like it, run a different class??

For those who do like that type of racing - rules, regs, products, etc. are tried to be built as closely as possible.

In the past - ALL SPEC Classes were aimed at being SLOWER than STOCK.

Some guys want to go faster - but don't want to hassle with the perception of dealing with SPONSORED GUY stuff. Like all of us - we have that right last I checked.

Originally Posted by MOTHER FOCAR
problem is those spec guys want us all to conform down to there level...and when we get there and put 7 laps on them they complain about cheating? go figure!
I don't think We want to put ANYONE down to any level - it's the guys who can't find a class of thier own, or whose class dies because of a SPEC CLASS who want to change things around...cause they don't really want to RUN SPEC rules - but they don't have their class anymore.

You know me, I'll keep fighting the fight - and YES I did get personal trying to get you to SHOVE something up your PIPE, but I figured it would FIT~

Last edited by SWTour; 08-10-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Company Representative

The one cell Lipo can work with a Lipo or NiMh reciever pack. I know a regulator is reccomended but I believe most radio systems can use a 7.4v Lipo with no regulator. We have an 800 pack that is designed for Helicopters some of the gas racers are using it as reciever pack and getting 1.5 hours of track time with it. The one cell pack and 800 reciever pack would still weigh less than a 4 cell side by side pack.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Since Lipo manufacturers use different methods to test C rate and capacity you should only compare packs from the same manufacturer. An example of this would be a company who has a 20 and 30C 5000 pack. The 30C pack would be better than the 20C. That being said a 20C/5000 from one company can't be compared to another company who has a 20C/5000. The only way to compare them would be to cycle them and measure the IR , average voltage and capacity or track testing them to see which pack is faster.
So basically the same thing as with NiMH cells.
Once manufacturer's numbers can't directly compare to another.

Same song, different dance.......
Old 08-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Company Representative

Yes it's the same as sub-c cells but a bit worse as with sub-c cells you could have access to a GFX or Turbomatcher to test the cells/pack yourself.

With Lipos tesing capacity , IR and average voltage is as easy as the sub-c cells as you can use a GFX but when it comes to C rate you would need to get special equipment that is pretty expensive.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

why not just ban the SMC 3200 and use whatever lipo or subc you want for your own series instead of trying to convince SMC to build batts of equal performance with others?

organize a fully spec-ed and tech-ed series if you want racing to just come down to driving skills and car setup and not just about having better equips.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

@Danny/SMC

how is the Yeah Racing 3200s compared to your 3200? can you post numbers? thanks!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

why not just ban the SMC 3200 and use whatever lipo or subc you want for your own series instead of trying to convince SMC to build batts of equal performance with others?

organize a fully spec-ed and tech-ed series if you want racing to just come down to driving skills and car setup and not just about having better equips.
I along with a handful of othere tracks and clubs already have. We locked our rules for ONE year, with ONE brand. It was hoped that I would open to other brands (not necessarily my hopes) for next season.

The SINGLE brand racing has been some of THE BEST racing I've seen in 20+ years. This will continue at the places that go with Danny's SMC battery, but for the guys who have what we have, and like what we have...yet thought we might be opening the door to other 'similar performing' brands, that may not happen.

Some guys think this is something I'm making a big deal about - I don't care WHAT/WHO's products we use... I want the racing to CONTINUE at the level we've seen w/o the racers having a need to start over w/ ALL New batteries (or motors) again this year.

The only data/info I have on the SMC's to compare w/ the ORIONS are the numbers they have posted for their packs. I have data for ORIONS, and a couple other packs that we've done testing on...but I haven't seen the SMCs or the new ORION 3400's yet. (I know both are now available - just not locally yet)

I have no problem staying with a single brand. If for our '09 season, it's decided to switch to a different brand, it may be a slow phase in process and/or start with the 17.5 class and let the lower classes have a shot at the USED stuff from that class... That's a few months away for us... We go February to November, and allow some testing of NEW stuff at our Non-Points event in December.

We also stick "Other" products on the track on occasion during qualifying races to see how they perform with someone who's known to have a good consistant setup, to compare the "on track" runs in RACE trim.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SWTour
Nope,

Problem is Bill, I'm a RACER and a DIRECTOR

Note how that quote STARTS..."As a Racer"

I'll have you know - I get MY way on most of that "As a Racer" (Mainly because I spend a WHOLE LOT MORE $$$ on running the races - than I do on EQUP.)

I run in a NASTRUCK CLASS - bodies are 12 years old (I bought a BOX full back then)

I have Gen2's and a Pro3 Oval car - but 1/2 the time, especially for LOCAL Racing I run a MUCH Older L3, or L4...or my ReALLY OLD HPI RoadStar 10G0.

Before the EXPLODING and FAILING battery deal of the 4200 world, I could get 1 1/2 - 2 years from 1/2 dozen battery packs.

I Still have well over 100 MODIFIED MOTORS - ready to run - that arer 12-15 years old (From 6x1's to 15x4's)

The MARKET made those products obsolete, but I can still make ANYONE of them as fast as the NEW STUFF....

My VELO TRUCK is the same truck I've been running for 12 years (it currently has the SINGLE LAP Track Record set in MAY for the truck class)..matter of fact - it's still running JACK's VELO CAP TIRES.

I've never had the ISSUES w/ SMC, compared to what you seem to have had for ORION... sorry.

I express MY views, and several views expressed to ME by MY racers...and try to make a point of when I'm talking from "The Racer" perspective - I say SO.

Just like YOU and so many other racers - I get NEW stuff when I have to. But I don't like HAVING to get NEW stuff cause the old stuff (that still works great) can't compete.

I have NO beef against TRAK POWER so take that comment and shove it up your pipe...
I don't want to be rude here, but what does this have to do with figuring out what a LiPo's specs mean? You have single handedly taken this thread WAYYY off topic, & I think it's time it got back ON TOPIC. If you realy want to keep this up, why don't you just start your OWN thread on it? Let this thread do what Danny meant for it to do...
Old 08-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Minami
@Danny/SMC

how is the Yeah Racing 3200s compared to your 3200? can you post numbers? thanks!
I haven't tested any of these packs.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Danny-

Are there any charger attributes that need to be considered before buying a LIPO friendly charger for the SMC packs that can get the most out of the pack? I have been running LIPO for a few years and I have found that not all LIPO charges are created equally.

Are there any charger brands that you have found to provide the best possible charge?

Also can you through some steps to explain the proper process for charging a pack to get the best performance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.