Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tire Gluing

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 02:59 AM
Tech Addict

Default Tire Gluing

My big hate is gluing tires....! Can anyone advise me on how to prep the rim and tire properly before gluing so that they don't come unglued during racing ...

Thanks

Also what typ is a good CA glue for gluing??
Old 05-31-2005, 03:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use team losi C/A right now, but they all work pretty good......If you don't mind waiting the few extra minutes for it to set, get some medium thickness stuff that comes out a little slower(easier to use and a little stronger bond)....most rims don't need much attention before glueing...Just use motor spray or some denatured alcholol to clean the mating surfaces......and on either the tires or rims ,if you have any jagged edges left over from the molding process just knock 'em off with an exacto or something similar
Old 05-31-2005, 03:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by acutts
My big hate is gluing tires....! Can anyone advise me on how to prep the rim and tire properly before gluing so that they don't come unglued during racing ...

Thanks

Also what typ is a good CA glue for gluing??
PROLINE CA Medium is good. Make sure you clean off the rubber tires too. Sometimes, mold wax residue is present and you wont have a good set, will just come off during your heat. You can use motor cleaner or denatured alcohol as Joe B suggested
Old 05-31-2005, 03:45 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Guys
Old 05-31-2005, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah - its a pain. Someone needs to invent a automated RC tire gluing jig. I have the idea in my head... hmmm...that could be fun to design It's going to include rotating parts, glue spitting everywhere and numatics to hold the tire while the glue dries.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

when i glue my tires on firstly i lightly rub the rims down with some 240 grit wet a dry paper and give the tyres and rims a wash with a degreaser then glue them on i dont know if this is the best way to go about it but it works for me
cheers gaz
Old 05-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by John Fontaine
Yeah - its a pain. Someone needs to invent a automated RC tire gluing jig. I have the idea in my head... hmmm...that could be fun to design It's going to include rotating parts, glue spitting everywhere and numatics to hold the tire while the glue dries.
Actually, there are some tire gluing jigs out there(though not nearly as automated as what you're thinking about), in fact I use one myself(made by HobbyTech). It just places a ring around the tire that can be tightened down, & as it tightens, the tire's bead is pulled away just a bit(just enough to get a drop of CA in there, which will flow around in there due to the capillary effect). I just apply about 5 or 6 drops around the tire & let it flow around, then quickly loosen & remove the ring, & then put a final outlet layer of glue where the bead meets the rim(as a seal, basically). And my tires hold together VERY well, hardly EVER come unglued in a race.....
Old 05-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

tire band helps too!
Old 05-31-2005, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The best way I've managed to glue tires is this: sand the bead of the rims, just enough to scuff them and give the lue something to hold onto. Then spray the rims with motor spray so you don't have any plastic residue. Then wipe the mounting bead of the tire with a motor sprayed rag and scrub them with a wire tooth brush to scuff them and then clean the bead once more. When mounting them, put a rubber band around the tire and pull on the tire to expose the mounting bead and place a couple drops of Ca in there and let the glue work around the whole bead and add more as necessary. I use Losi thin glue there and then when done, I run the medium around the outside of the tire. It takes longer, but your tires will not come off and that's the ultimate goal. Oh, and it's a good idea to balance your tires too. That's just my method, not gospel.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Actually, there are some tire gluing jigs out there(though not nearly as automated as what you're thinking about), in fact I use one myself(made by HobbyTech). It just places a ring around the tire that can be tightened down, & as it tightens, the tire's bead is pulled away just a bit(just enough to get a drop of CA in there, which will flow around in there due to the capillary effect). I just apply about 5 or 6 drops around the tire & let it flow around, then quickly loosen & remove the ring, & then put a final outlet layer of glue where the bead meets the rim(as a seal, basically). And my tires hold together VERY well, hardly EVER come unglued in a race.....
You wouldn't happen to have a link or something to this jig. I'm the worst in the world at gluing tires. Premounts are my savior But there's times you just have to mount some up yourself.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, 'fraid not, I simply found mine on the hobby shop shelf a few years ago, I'm not even sure if they still make 'em....
Old 05-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
You wouldn't happen to have a link or something to this jig. I'm the worst in the world at gluing tires. Premounts are my savior But there's times you just have to mount some up yourself.
I picked one up from Stormer Hobbies (search for Hobby-Tech) a few weeks back, it is also marketed by Venom. If not you can try Venom's website.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

http://www.balakracing.com/tiregluing.htm

This would help
Old 06-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
PM Me I have one I'll send you.
It is the same as listed above but i believe mine is from Venom or someone else.
It works well I just got good at it without after about six or seven sets of failures...Now I have a program that works for me...
Let me know
Stephen <><
Or if you are going to be at Hot Rods this weekend for the Babcock come by my pit.....I will bring it. I'll be the 6'2 fat guy sitting next to the other sixty big fat guys...LOL
But look for the team shirt....Look like my avatar...
Old 06-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Default automatic tire gluer

Here is the one from ofna.
http://www.ofna.com/tool-Tire.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.