Nitro Vs Electric

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

On 4s there is no meaningful performance difference.

Again, if all you know about nitro is some Traxxas RTR (or even worse, what you heard from some guy who had one.. OR even worse, what some fool at a local Mchobby chain shop told you...), then you have very little clue about nitro to go on. Period. Way back when I had a major turd Hot Bodies E-zilla (precursor to E-Savage), but of course it isn't representative of all electrics.

In any case, go to a track, or any bash site, an 8th scale on 4s is no better than nitro in any meaningful way, except maybe wheelies and burning through tires. And yes that includes lap times for 8th scale buggies and truggies(there may be exceptions, depending on the tracks..)

I put a GPS on my MT4 G3 and converted Tamixa TRF801XT recently. They both topped out at about 60kmh. I haven't tried to GPS my LST2 yet, but I would bet it would be at least as fast, if not faster. Same with my nitro SC8(not my RC8T, but it's geared for racing..) Both electrics are geared up too.

I've seen these kinds of threads often enough. Nitro-hating electric guys think they know nitro. They almost never do. Nitro does take time to get a hang of. Once you do, there's little maintenance involved. I took my nitro SC8 out recently. It had been sitting for 6-7 months. I haven't pulled the engine in two years or more(or messed with the air filter in much longer than that.. Outer filters...)It has an RB Fire 11 I got used and cheap on ebay, and it shreds - violently.. It started up immediately, and ran perfectly two weekends in a row(maybe one hour on the HSN after it warmed up after the first start..) I was at a local onroad track with it, and - I'm not trying to brag, honestly, but you can just see it - the guys running brushless are staring, the guys with big modded gassers are staring, and for sure all the spectators are staring... The RC guys with gassers and flashlights all think they "moved on" from nitro, and were beyond all those "hassles". Well, they ALL still have to fiddle around. E-Revos blowing diffs and other plastic parts, the gassers are not issue-free etc. And it's very clear which RC's impress the random passers-by too - the nitros. They might turn their head when an E-revo whooshes by. But they stop and watch when they see the nitros..(It seems to me they hurry up to get away when the big 5th scale modded gassers are running - too loud and obnoxious..) And no I'm not saying RC is all about getting the most spectators. But the level of excitement generated is obvious, and there's something more to it than just my personal preference. Again, I encourage anybody who's never been to go to an 8th scale racing event. Watch a nitro heat, then an electric. The latter is so boring to watch after the nitros that it's almost fascinating how something can be so lame. I have a few electrics, and they have their place - as I said, for running in grandma's front yard after tea and cookies. But it's not "real" RC, more like a glorified video game. Or maybe like watching an action movie on mute... But maybe sometimes that's better than no movie at all.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well i've been in the hobby since 2005 and have dealt with nitro since. Probably have 15-20 monster trucks along with a hand full of buggies and on road cars in those 10 years. So i'm not new to Nitro. I'm new to electric. I def think i will miss the sound of nitro, but as mentioned before, if i'm getting more top speed and initial torque with brushless, then that's something i'm willing to sacrifice. As for noise, i'm not too concerned as neither truck will be ran in my neighborhood, i'll look for job sites and rough areas to go mess around in.

Now, for top speed nitro vs electric. I know the nitro savage and revo 3.3 are anywhere from 35-40 mph out of the box. what are realistic top speed numbers for the BL E-Revo and the savage Flux HP on 4s & 6s?

I'm not afraid of high speed as i have some experience with these trucks. Actually had a Savage LE running a Collari .32 and a modded Nova breaking into the 50s mph range.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

You can of course gear up with electric for more top speed. But you still have to monitor temps etc so your ESC doesn't go up in flames.. You have to figure out 6s with which tire sizes and pinion, etc etc... Then of course to get all that extra performance with 6s, you're going to have increased wear and tear. Diffs etc.. My experience as a "nitro guy" coming to brushless is basically as I said - it is somewhat easier in that you don't have to carry a starterbox, fuel etc.. around with you, and can just plunk it down anywhere and run it. In reality though, I find that I have mine with me a lot, but don't actually run it that much. The reduced thrill of actually running it makes me run it less.. True, I haven't tried 6s yet, but I don't want to deal with the extra wear.. Or buy new batteries. Or new pinions or whatever else would be needed.

I would say go for it though. But if what you want out of electric is big-time performance, go straight to 6s. The performance difference on 4s is negligible.

I don't hate electric either. I'll always have a couple. They have their place. They are a minor side thing to tide me over in winter or whatever in the scheme of things though...
Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
You can of course gear up with electric for more top speed. But you still have to monitor temps etc so your ESC doesn't go up in flames.. You have to figure out 6s with which tire sizes and pinion, etc etc... Then of course to get all that extra performance with 6s, you're going to have increased wear and tear. Diffs etc.. My experience as a "nitro guy" coming to brushless is basically as I said - it is somewhat easier in that you don't have to carry a starterbox, fuel etc.. around with you, and can just plunk it down anywhere and run it. In reality though, I find that I have mine with me a lot, but don't actually run it that much. The reduced thrill of actually running it makes me run it less.. True, I haven't tried 6s yet, but I don't want to deal with the extra wear.. Or buy new batteries. Or new pinions or whatever else would be needed.

I would say go for it though. But if what you want out of electric is big-time performance, go straight to 6s. The performance difference on 4s is negligible.

I don't hate electric either. I'll always have a couple. They have their place. They are a minor side thing to tide me over in winter or whatever in the scheme of things though...
you make some valid points. Main reason i was hoping to find a used flux hp or E-revo. in case i do not like it and i can either let it sit or sell it without too big of an investment. who would've thought, picking out a hobby would be so challenging. hahaha.

Edit- just read in the flux hP thread, that HPI was looking to release a legit XL flux hp and improving some weak points on the current flux. i can't seem to find it on the internet anywhere. Any of you guys hear about this?

Last edited by titansavage; 04-21-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

I disagree too that electric is cheaper than nitro. Yes, you have some up-front costs with nitro, but once you have it you have it. I had to spend like €50 just for pinions for my SC8e, which still never got fast (on 4s.. Of course, I can't run 6s with the stock ESC, but would have to spend €100 for a new one. And then I'd have to solder the motor to the new ESC... And and and... Point is - it's not as plug and play as some make out either..)

My first brushless RC was an MT4 G3, and I really think this was a great call. Better than a Savage or Revo IMVHO(both of which, in their brushless versions, are massivley overpriced...) Very good RC. I recommend it heartily.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Quick word of caution, if you go with 6s make sure you roll on the throttle or set your punch control high. Otherwise you will more than likely have diff / driveline problems.

As for the hpi releasing the flux xl, I have heard this as well. I would wait to see if it comes out as it does have (IMO) some essential upgrades. I bought a flux hp and widened it with the xl axles and lengthened it with the flm tvps and i'm super happy with it. Before I made those changes I found it spent most of its time on its lid.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yes the XL extention made my Savage Flux usable, I could also really put power down, and very soon after I needed the upgraded input gear from...HPI

It will still do standing backflips on 4S
Old 04-21-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaxxGabriel
Performance is not about the same. Electric beats nitro on EVERY performance stat there is including top speeds.
The only thing nitro beats electric at is being noisy.
I disagree, but there's no sense in trying to debate this point. That horse has been beaten to death.....

I stand by my original statement, and am glad the OP is embracing something new he hadn't already experienced in the hobby.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

well i'm thinking maybe i should wait till the savage Flux XL is released. I'll buy in new. Hopefully it's soon.

In the mean time, i might look for a used revo 3.3 or a savage X4.6 or Xl just to get my feet wet.

Anyone read anything on the flux XL release?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by titansavage
Anyone read anything on the flux XL release?
Well it's been over a year now since the announcement, and still nothing. It's of no surprise though as HPI have been struggling with finances after some very troubled years.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Both nitro and electric are fun.
it's Just what you like each person is different.

Nitros make noise and that's cool and you can simply just keep filling up the tank and run all day long.

fuel will make you spend much more than on a electric truck.

Nitros get greasy and smell from the fuel and they also need more maintenance from the motors vibration screws come loos much more and you got to clean the oil off everything.

electric stays cleaner easy to maintain simple to run.
I think brushless these days are much powerful and faster than nitro models.

cost less to run in the long run as a battery can be charged 100+ times.

Only thing electric don't have is the sound..... Not
you can buy a sound unit and program loads of sound to your liking and always torn it off if you don't want to hear it!

So I say electric came a long way and now is superior to nitro models.

Electric sound

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

the Flux HP truck is available for $539 if you are a tower supersaver member. The XL conversion kit is about $60
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-102404-W...item5b001bcb35

So for about $600 you could have a Savage Flux HP XL

You will want to make sure you keep the wheels tight or the hexes will round out quick.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

After reading through all these posts, there is a lot to swallow!

Been running RC's of all kinds for over 20 years - back when even a cheap nitro setup was far superior to just about any electric.

I for one would have to say that the tables have turned! Sure there are some bad a** nitro engines out there, I had a screaming Picco .28 in a Savage, even the stock 4.6 when tuned and geared right is a beast! But even on 4s, the ability to have instant throttle control and torque out of a good 1/8 brushless system with proper batteries is hard to beat. Much more satisfying while bashing for me. I think there is a noticeable difference in every aspect of performance leaning towards the superior brushless.

For those arguing the costs issue - All you gotta do is figure $30 per gallon nitro will be gone in 2 or 3 good long bash sessions if you are running a big block monster truck. Cost of nitro fuel and finally realizing the disturbance to neighbors (finally bought my own house 2 years ago lol) were the main reasons I have decided to abandon nitro after many years of running them.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

...I'm also the kind of guy who is a mechanic for a living, have around 20 different pets, and 2 kids - so the extra work associated with nitro just isn't worth it to me. I get enough "gearhead" action at work so when it comes to my RC's I like them quick, clean and easy, lol!
Old 04-21-2015, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Last weekend:

+ YouTube Video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.