Wiki Posts
Search

Batteries for Nitro vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by HVAC25000
No, neither. I mean the same thing as all these posts center around. Charging 4/5 cell packs for powering recievers and servos in nitro vehicles. Nothing to do with electric vehicles, nothing to do with 6 cell sub-c batteries at 3300mahs. This is for 700-2100mah AAs.
Weather you're talking about batts for the car or the rx, it's all the same rules. Don't overthink it, just use the formula. If it doesn't work, go ahead and tell me so here.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The batteries that we use are all 1.2volt, right? So 2 packs for an electric truck would be 12 cells.

12x1.2 =14.4 volts

3 reciever packs of 5 cells each is 15 cells.

15x1.2=18volts.

It doesn't matter what the mAh rating of the batteries is, it's the voltage. The mAh rating is only the capacity. If you can only get 12 volts, you can only charge the battery/ies to 12 volts combined, no matter how many cells in total.

Have you ever tried to charge a full set of Tx batteries using just a car battery? It doesn't work.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jbrow1
Lets just say you can't charge a 14.4 volt battery (two separate six cell packs) with a charger running off 12 volts.
That's what I said above.

Now to answer the question that was posted in the first post rather rudely.
HVAC25000 Attn: Ok, incase you are like legally retarded or something, I'd like to try and make you understand something. This is not a post about Buggies, this is not a post about Trucks, this is not a post about Sedans, this is not a post about Rally cars, this is not a post about any specific car. This is a post about AA battery packs used to power recievers and servos in Nitro cars.
I use a venom 1100 mah 6 volt nimh for a reciever battery. Those are your best bets. You can get different brands, different mah batteries. The bigger the number the better. Get one of those, and get a charger to go with it. A plug in the wall charger will suffice. Just follow the instructions that come with it. For the first charge it may take all night. Or you can get a nice peak charger if you want to spend the money. I just used a nicad charger on my rx battery b/c I had it. It worked. Battery would last over 30 minute mains no problem. It lasted all season, and still works now. Yeah a better charger is better for the battery, but I used what I had. If you do the same, do at your own risk. Overcharging a battery may make it leak, or explode. So you've been warned. Now that I'm getting into electric also I use the proper charger.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Jbrow, why are you taking it personally? Are you legally retarded? I think you are immature and are just looking for a way to fight with me. If you really took offense, you would have said something right off the bat, but you didnt.

Anyways...

I'm still trying to get an answer to this question:

If one 2100mah battery charging at 1000mah takes 2.1 hours, then does it make sense that a 5 pack, wired in series, would take 10.5 hours? Or does it still only take 2.1 horus? Everyone keeps implying it only takes 2.1 hours no matter how many batteries there are, but that makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Let me try and explain that further.

I purchased a bunch of 2100mah NIMH AAs so I can make my own packs of batteries, containing 5 AAs in a series (Maybe series is the word that is confusing everyone? A number of objects or events arranged or coming one after the other in succession. Meaning, not in parallel). I'm not going to buy packs made by someone else that cost way more than they should. I know how to solder, I know how shrink wrap works.

Everyone is telling me that to charge a 2100mah NIMH AA battery at 1000mah, charge it for 2.1 hours. That's the simple part. Now, WHAT happens when you put 5 in series, do you have to charge it 5 times as long?

I don't know of a simpler way to put it...

Thanks
Old 02-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by HVAC25000
Jbrow, why are you taking it personally? Are you legally retarded? I think you are immature and are just looking for a way to fight with me. If you really took offense, you would have said something right off the bat, but you didnt.
I really just think you need to google search about batteries. Might help your understanding. Be it a cell phone, rx battery, or the 6 cell battery, it's all the same principals. I'm not trying to fight with anybody. I answered your questions multiple times, took time to find info for you, and you just keep dismissing everybody. You have 30 posts. How many forums are you on? Soon you may learn some etiquette. Maybe not.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

You are trying to make the point that I'm forum-dumb just because I don't have that many posts? What does that tell me about you? You're a moron? Yeah. It does.

Excuse me for having to work and sleep most of the time, and not spending hours each day on the computer nerding it up with the other peple who have nothing else to do (no offense to anyone, because I really wish I could sit around all day and do nothing too).

I did do a Yahoo! search, for about 3 hours, before I asked on here, because I know perfectly well the average I.Q. of the average forum-go-er. Every website I found said the same assinine thing. The same thing u and 2 other people have told me numerous times, the same thing that has no relevancy to the question I am asking. Forgive me if you don't speak English well enough to interpret correctly what I am saying.

You have yet to answer my question, incase you didn't notice. Every single time you post, you ignore my main question, and make up some other bull**** reply to make yourself seem like you know what you are talking about. It's a very simple question.

Let me tell you a joke to lighten the mood, since you seem to continually get offended for who knows what reason:

A pilot was making his approach on a very dark and foggy night. Unfortunately, the electronics systems in the plane were malfunctioning, leaving him flying blind.

After a short thought, he decided to roll down the window to ask directions. He flew to the nearest building and shouted "Excuse me, where am I?!" A man leaned out of one of the building's windows and said "Why, you're in a plane!"

2 minutes later the plane was safely on the ground with a perfect 3-point landing.

The co-pilot, astonished, asked "How did you know where the airport was?!" The pilot answered "Easy. The information the man gave us was 100% correct, and 100% useless. The Microsoft building is 5 miles directly West of the airport."

Isn't that funny? I laughed my *** off the first time I heard it.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

I'll try again Less words this time.

Everyone is telling me that to charge a 2100mah NIMH AA battery at 1000mah, charge it for 2.1 hours.

WHAT happens when you put 5 AAs in series? Do you have to charge it 5 times as long?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Wiring a pack in series does not add to capacity. A 4 cell pack and a 6 cell pack will both have the same capacity, but the 6-cell will have more voltage.

Now if you wire the cells in parallel, you add to the capacity..but you won't get the same amount of voltage.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Thank you sooooo much Aaaron, that is exactly what I was trying to find out.

So that must mean it will take the same amount of time to charge 1 as it will 5? Or does that mean it will rely on the amount of voltage being put in, rather than the amount of mah?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

It may vary slightly due to resistance and what-not, but it shouldn't be more than 5-10 minutes at the very most.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

K, thanks!
Old 02-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am sorry for not answering that question. I guess maybe I just didn't understand exactly what you were looking for.

As for the charger, I just got back from the hobby shop. The Charger is actuall $23 canadian, so $18-19 US. It's from Hobby Zone. It's kinda late for me so I'm not going to find it right now but I hope it might steer you in the right direction.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

OFNA has a rx pack charger that retails for $7.95. It does feature auto cut-off. Output is 120 ma